Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Painting concrete porch

On 10/1/2011 3:11 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sep 30, 8:31 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 5:46 pm, Higgs wrote:

Sigh! Again tackling this nasty job. I posted long ago about the
problem repainting concrete porch because Calif. forbids use of the
oil-based BM which I used for decades. When they did that, I had to
buy a can of something that would let the new paint cling to the old.
So extra job, applying TWO coats instead of just one. Grrrr!

TRecently I posted a q. about how to fill in the leprosy patches left
where some paint had flaked. Stucco patch that I used to use (I
think) didn't work too great.

One experienced-sounding NG member advised not to fill in the patches,
but to feather them. I broke out my sander, put on a coarse grit but
had limited success.

The damn paint is shot to ****. I spent too much time scraping
endlessly with a flat-blade utility knife in many areas not amenable
to feathering.

Now finally to the q: Is it possible to just cover the (&^$(_+&&^%$
$##* porch with a new coat of quick-setting (or other advisable?)
concrete in order to stop ****ing around with all this scraping and
patching, and just start from scratch?

TIA

Rent a concrete surface grinder. Get the whole floor flat and
pristine. Coat it with Sears water based epoxy garage floor paint in
whichever shade of gray you like. Leave out the silly flakes and
sand.
A) It won't take as long as you think.
B) It won't cost as much as you think.
C) It will look better than you expect.
D) It will last longer than you think.
Just do it, don't obsess over it.

Joe

Hmmm.. that's what I SHOULD do. I checked the only local tool rental
place. $60 a day. Dunno how big those puppies are, or how hard they
are to use. Will go over& eyeball them first. BTW, I don't use GRAY,
I use MEDIUM DARK RED.

Question paint. Why are you recommending the Sears paint over,
let's say, BM which I have used for years. Straight question.

I used Quickrete brand epoxy garage floor paint and am very very pleased
with it. It's difficult to scratch it.