Senior Member

Default OT - Washington, DC

No, this post is not going to be about the shootings there.

But, when I was listening to the news I decided to sit down at my computer and finally find out something that's perplexed me for years.

What is the difference, geographically speaking, between the city of Washington DC, and the District of Columbia?

When I Google "District of Columbia", I get a map of a square-ish looking chunk of ground on the border between Maryland and Virginia.

When I Google "Washington", I get a map of a square-ish looking chunk of ground on the border between Maryland and Virginia.

There is only one map for both the City of Washington DC and for the District of Columbia.

And, it occurs to me that the only way that could happen is if the entire District of Columbia was covered by city of Washington DC.

I always envisioned the District of Columbia to be an area with the city of Washington inside it, much like Winnipeg is a city inside the much larger province of Manitoba. In this case, we have what appears to be the whole District of Columbia covered by the city of Washington, DC.

So that just creates more questions for me...
Does the city of washington extend past the borders of the District of Columbia, and if so, are there also the Cities of Washington, Maryland and Washington, Virginia which are part of the same city, but outside the District of Columbia?

If someone lives in the City of Washington, but outside of the borders of the District of Columbia, would their mailing address still be "Washington, DC"?

I was always confused by the fact that you guys have one map for both the City of Washington, DC and the District of Columbia, and I can't fit it in my head that the city is going to stop and suddenly turn into farmland right on the border of the District of Columbia.

Does anyone in here live near Washington?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 01:37:55 +0200, nestork
wrote:

[...]

You ask a lot of good questions. Unfortunately I don't know the
answers but I, as well as all U.S. citizens, should.

As we all know that is but one of the many mysteries of that city,
district, area, locale or whatever. The last five years have
certainly seen an increasing frequency of the mysteries emanating from
that region.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in news:nestork.c7d54f8
@diybanter.com:

I was always confused by the fact that you guys have one map for both
the City of Washington, DC and the District of Columbia,

Because they are one and the same, but with two "existences".

"DC" is the federal existence. The "City" is the municipal existence. The
"City" is responsible for such things as painting lines on the roads, the
sewers, the water, etc. All the feds do is ride into town on the Metro,
tell you how to run your life, then eat fancy and excellent meals at the
Capital Grill (charged to the taxpayer, of course).

DC's license plates say "Taxation Without Representation". That's an open
municipal protest agains the fact that DC can't vote federally, meaning
that DC has no representation in Congress and thus has no say in the
federal taxes that are levied on DC residents.

and I can't fit
it in my head that the city is going to stop and suddenly turn into
farmland right on the border of the District of Columbia.

Whoo. You've never been down there, have you? Very little farmland around
DC.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/16/2013 6:37 PM, nestork wrote:

What is the difference, geographically speaking, between the city of
Washington DC, and the District of Columbia?

None.

And, it occurs to me that the only way that could happen is if the
entire District of Columbia was covered by city of Washington DC.

I always envisioned the District of Columbia to be an area with the city
of Washington inside it, much like Winnipeg is a city inside the much
larger province of Manitoba. In this case, we have what appears to be
the whole District of Columbia covered by the city of Washington, DC.

Indeed, it is the latter, not the former, now. Obviously, way back when
it was founded that wasn't so but is now and has been for quite some time.

So that just creates more questions for me...
Does the city of washington extend past the borders of the District of
Columbia, and if so, are there also the Cities of Washington, Maryland
and Washington, Virginia which are part of the same city, but outside
the District of Columbia?

No, no, and no. Outside of Washington, DC, one is in either the state
of MD or VA (south of the Potomac) and there are a zillion suburban
communities of that many names -- larger ones are heard of like Silver
Spring, College Park, Bethesda, MD or Arlington, or Alexandria, VA, but
most of them nobody outside the area knows what they are any more than
anybody anywhere removed from Montreal or Toronto knows the names of
their suburbs, either.

If someone lives in the City of Washington, but outside of the borders
of the District of Columbia, would their mailing address still be
"Washington, DC"?

No, they'll have a mailing address of, say, Bethesda, MD w/ their own
ZIP code, etc., etc., etc, ...

I was always confused by the fact that you guys have one map for both
the City of Washington, DC and the District of Columbia, and I can't fit
it in my head that the city is going to stop and suddenly turn into
farmland right on the border of the District of Columbia.

It's not (at least much) farmland for miles away in all directions but
metropolitan area but only the DC environs are actually Washington, DC,
in actual fact; the rest are in the DC metro area but are their own
little (or not so little) places.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/16/2013 7:54 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

ADDENDUM

While geographically the two entities of DC, the city and the district,
coincide there are two actual political entities.

And, while there are all these place names around the District, there
are also named neighborhoods/districts within the District itself --
Bellevue, Congress Heights, Brookland, ..., which at one time were more
or less separate themselves before the whole area got covered up and
paved over.

Never fortunately had to live there; in a former life used to have to go
and testify before the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for employer on
licensing issues for commercial power reactors and thereby spent far
more time there than would have otherwise done. Much interesting to
visit but absolute hell to get out of on a Friday afternoon to get home
back in Lynchburg (VA) by anything approaching a decent hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote in
:

The "City" is responsible for such things as painting lines on the
roads, the sewers, the water, etc.

Boy, I really should have paid more attention to my sentence structure in
that past reply.

Obviously the City is NOT painting lines on the sewers and the water, but
is instead responsible for the upkeep of those two things; and in addition
is reponsible for painting lines on the roads, among many other mundane
municipal matters.

--
Tegger
Senior Member

No, I totally get the part that the city of Washington has both a municipal government (presumably it has a mayor and a city hall and city councillors) as well as a federal government (with the White House as the "head office" of the Federal Government). I was always just hung up on the geography.

OK, so if I understand this correctly, the following statements are all true:

1. Originally, the city of Washington was a urban center much smaller than the District of Columbia, but over the 200 years or whatever since the District of Columbia was established, the city of Washington has grown to cover the entire District of Columbia. This is why the map of the city of Washington is the same as the map of the District of Columbia.

2. The city of "Washington" exists only inside the perimeter of the District of Columbia border.

3. All urban development outside the perimeter of the District of Columbia are suburbs of the city of Washington either in Maryland or Virginia; such as Bethesda, Maryland where the famous military hospital is, or Arlington, Virginia where the famous military cemetary is.

That makes sense to me now.

I've never been further East than Toronto, Ontario, and I can count the number of major US cities I've been in on the fingers of one hand. (I'm not counting Grand Forks, North Dakota as a major city.) But, Washington and the District of Columbia were always confusing to me because maps would label the same chunk of land as being both Washington, D.C. and the District of Columbia, and the only way that could make sense was if the city covered the entire District, but I wasn't sure if it did or not, or that's what the map makers meant or not.

Thanks all.

Last edited by nestork : September 17th 13 at 04:56 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 00:54:20 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 05:43:07 +0200, nestork
wrote:

No, I totally get the part that the city of Washington has both a
municipal government (presumably it has a mayor and a city hall and city
councillors) as well as a federal government (with the White House as
the "head office" of the Federal Government). I was always just hung up
on the geography.

OK, so if I understand this correctly, the following statements are all
true:

1. Originally, the city of Washington was a urban center much smaller
than the District of Columbia, but over the 200 years or whatever since
the District of Columbia was established, the city of Washington has
grown to cover the entire District of Columbia. This is why the map of
the city of Washington is the same as the map of the District of
Columbia.

No the District was defines in Article 1 section 8 of the Constitution
(as a 10 mile square). The chunk that is missing in Virginia was
separated in the Civil war.

Are you sure? I can't see the federal goverment looking kindly on
Virginia during or soon after the Civil War. I know that Congress
did return that part of DC that was in Virginia, and looking in wikip,
it says that happened in 1846.

Maybe you're thinking of West Virginia, that separated from Virgnia
during the Civil War, because the majority of its people didnt' want
to secede.

When Mayor Schaeffer was governor of Maryland, he said that the
Maryland part of DC should go back to Maryland. This would have given
DC folks a vote for the Md. senators and equal treatment in
Congress**. DC should have jumped on it, because no one else from Md.
is likely to agree to it, because it dilutes the votes of Marylanders
for senators. (but he was a pretty powerful governor, who likely
could have pushed it through the state legislature.) It really is
unfair to DC folk.

**It would have given them votes in the electoral college for
President, but they got that anyhow, by amending the Constitution I
suppose, before or after Schaeffer was governor.

2. The city of "Washington" exists only inside the perimeter of the
District of Columbia border.

True

Posted to alt.home.repair

I should add that DC has no one in the Senate but does have a
"non-voting" elected member of the House of Representatives,, usually
Eleanor Holmes Norton.

When the Democrats control the House, she gets a vote in whatever
committees she belongs to, and the House itself usually sits as a
"committee of the whole", in which she also gets a vote. it's legal
and I think it's fair.

When the Republicans control the House, she gets nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If someone lives in the City of Washington, but outside of the borders
of the District of Columbia,

Not possible.

would their mailing address still be
"Washington, DC"?

Georgetown, Maryland existed before the District was created. I
think that was the only town in what is now the District. (Can't say
"incorporated town" because I think there are only 1 or 2 or 3
incorporated towns in the whole state.

I was always confused by the fact that you guys have one map for both
the City of Washington, DC and the District of Columbia, and I can't fit
it in my head that the city is going to stop and suddenly turn into
farmland right on the border of the District of Columbia.

If you go north of DC, it's all on the way to being developed for
commuter housing, plus the things that go with that. It's going to be
one long city from DC to Boston along I-95. But if you go west or
east of the district I'd guess 30 miles, there is farmland.

Does anyone in here live near Washington?

I live about 35 miles from the Capitol. North. Just NW of
Baltimore.

There used to be a farm a tenth of a mile from me, when I moved here
30 years ago. They grew corn. Later they grew hay. and later they
died and their kids finally sold their little farm just before the
economy crashed. Supposed to build expensive townhouses for the last
several years, but haven't. The kids gave the barn to a museum and
the house is still there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 16, 2013 7:37:55 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
[...]

Arlington is in VA but I believe the cemetery is part of DC
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/16/2013 10:43 PM, nestork wrote:
No, I totally get the part that the city of Washington has both a
municipal government (presumably it has a mayor and a city hall and city
councillors) as well as a federal government (with the White House as
the "head office" of the Federal Government). I was always just hung up
on the geography.

OK, so if I understand this correctly, the following statements are all
true:

1. Originally, the city of Washington was a urban center much smaller
than the District of Columbia, but over the 200 years or whatever since
the District of Columbia was established, the city of Washington has
grown to cover the entire District of Columbia. This is why the map of
the city of Washington is the same as the map of the District of
Columbia.

That misconception is probably my fault for sloppy writing...

Sorry I used "founded"; while typing I forgot to make it clear about the
District being established as part of the (then new) Constitution just
presuming that was known when, of course, the whole point is that you
being Canadian don't/didn't necessarily know that otoyh. I just meant
that initially there wasn't enough City to come close to covering the
full 10-mi sq area as there was no settlement there prior to the
establishment of the District--some of the earliest pictures of the
place are pretty entertaining with mud streets and all surrounding the
building going on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/16/2013 07:37 PM, nestork wrote:
[...]

They're the same (the City of Washington and the District of
Columbia)... and I stay out of it whenever I can.

All of DC is on the MD side of the Potomac River - Arlington, VA used to
be part of DC but was ceded back to VA in the 1800s. If you look at a
map and follow the border of DC to the rest of MD, then cross the river
and follow the border of Arlington County, it forms a square tilted a
little bit.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Arlington, Virginia where the famous military cemetary is.

Some interesting history about how the land became government land and
the Arlington House.

The Arlington House and the National Cemetery should be on any
visitor's list of things to do. Items belonging to Gen. Robert E. Lee
were still on display when I visited years ago.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/History/Facts/ArlingtonHouse.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I Google "District of Columbia", I get a map of a square-ish
looking chunk of ground on the border between Maryland and Virginia.

... a few historical maps...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/local/historic-washington-DC-maps/images/washington-DC-map-1860.jpg

http://www.dcvote.org/trellis/character/maps/18.jpg

http://dc.lostsoulsgenealogy.com/maps/1800.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:03:04 -0700, Oren wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/local/historic-washington-DC-maps/images/washington-DC-map-1860.jpg

.... includes the U.S. Military Asylum and the U.S. Lunatic Asylum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:tosg39tpdn3vp12b83uulrs4r4ebbvhtfk@
4ax.com:

Items belonging to Gen. Robert E. Lee
were still on display when I visited years ago.

The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA, also has many of Lee's
possessions from when he was the South's military commander. The White
House of the Confederacy is right next door. I highly recommend both those
places, if you're as historically-interested as I am.

Not in DC, but very close to it in Fairfax, VA -- a "must see" as far as
I'm concerned -- is the NRA museum; they've done a superb job of presenting
firearms in a historical context; it's easily the equal of any of the
Smithsonian establishments.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/17/2013 06:18 PM, Tegger wrote:
Oren wrote in news:tosg39tpdn3vp12b83uulrs4r4ebbvhtfk@
4ax.com:

Items belonging to Gen. Robert E. Lee
were still on display when I visited years ago.

The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA, also has many of Lee's
possessions from when he was the South's military commander. The White
House of the Confederacy is right next door. I highly recommend both those
places, if you're as historically-interested as I am.

Not in DC, but very close to it in Fairfax, VA -- a "must see" as far as
I'm concerned -- is the NRA museum; they've done a superb job of presenting
firearms in a historical context; it's easily the equal of any of the
Smithsonian establishments.

I used to live a long walk from there but never visited. Seems that
when in mixed company and wanting to go do touristy stuff that that only
appeals to those with Y chromosomes. Probably ought to do that someday
before I move away.

Farther away from DC but still doable if you have a car is the
Udvar-Hazy center, if you have any interest in aircraft at all.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 22:18:01 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Oren wrote in news:tosg39tpdn3vp12b83uulrs4r4ebbvhtfk@
4ax.com:

Items belonging to Gen. Robert E. Lee
were still on display when I visited years ago.

The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA, also has many of Lee's
possessions from when he was the South's military commander. The White
House of the Confederacy is right next door. I highly recommend both those
places, if you're as historically-interested as I am.

BTDT: Museum of the Confederacy - Bullet "rosette" where two bullets
hit each other, on display. From the War of Northern Aggression.

Not in DC, but very close to it in Fairfax, VA -- a "must see" as far as
I'm concerned -- is the NRA museum; they've done a superb job of presenting
firearms in a historical context; it's easily the equal of any of the
Smithsonian establishments.

I'd like to visit :-)
--
"Man is not free unless government is limited." - Ronald Reagan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:49:00 -0700, Oren wrote:

The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA, also has many of Lee's
possessions from when he was the South's military commander. The White
House of the Confederacy is right next door. I highly recommend both those
places, if you're as historically-interested as I am.

BTDT: Museum of the Confederacy - Bullet "rosette" where two bullets
hit each other, on display. From the War of Northern Aggression.

A photo of the rosette bullet:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/richmond.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/44/344a249e-63d6-11e2-865b-001a4bcf6878/50fd4f8294eec.image.jpg

....mini balls
--
"Man is not free unless government is limited." - Ronald Reagan

Senior Member

Oren: Yeah that last map of Washington and the District of Columbia was what I imagined it was like. A city located within a larger District. I just wasn't aware that since the District of Columbia was established, the City had grown to fill the whole District. But I know that now.

If I ever visited Washington, I'd probably go to the Smithsonian Museum. it's a museum of everything. It's one of the world's best museums, if not the best based on the size and diversity of it's collection. But, why would I go to Washington when I could go to Florida, California or Hawaii?

Last edited by nestork : September 18th 13 at 01:51 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2013 6:03 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:49:00 -0700, Oren wrote:

The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA, also has many of
Lee's possessions from when he was the South's military
commander. The White House of the Confederacy is right next door.
I highly recommend both those places, if you're as
historically-interested as I am.

BTDT: Museum of the Confederacy - Bullet "rosette" where two
bullets hit each other, on display. From the War of Northern
Aggression.

A photo of the rosette bullet:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/richmond.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/44/344a249e-63d6-11e2-865b-001a4bcf6878/50fd4f8294eec.image.jpg

...mini balls

Another project for the "MythBusters" TV series. ^_^

Darn, I wish I had mini balls, they get in the way. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

To see where all your money went?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/17/2013 8:48 PM, nestork wrote:

If I ever visited Washington, I'd probably go to the Smithsonian Museum.
it's a museum of everything. It's one of the world's best museums, if
not the best based on the size and diversity of it's collection. But,
why would I go to Washington when I could go to Florida, California or
Hawaii?

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in
:

Oren: Yeah that last map of Washington and the District of Columbia was
what I imagined it was like. A city located within a larger District.
I just wasn't aware that since the District of Columbia was established,
the City had grown to fill the whole District. But I know that now.

If I ever visited Washington, I'd probably go to the Smithsonian Museum.

MuseumS, plural. The Smithsonian has many buildings, all of them great.

I don't know if the National Zoo is part of the Smithsonian complex, but
you can skip that one (I swear the animals get better grub than the
people).

it's a museum of everything. It's one of the world's best museums, if
not the best based on the size and diversity of it's collection. But,
why would I go to Washington when I could go to Florida, California or
Hawaii?

'Cause the Smithsonian buildings are absolutely great. Insanely great. And
DC has loads of superb restaurants. Then there are the attractions in VA,
such as Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Virginia Beach, the stuff in
Richmond I mentioned before. Plus I find the place physically beautiful,
especially as you go further south.

You can go to ALL the places you mention, and I have. Several times. They
all have different attractions for the tourist, so why not partake of them
all?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...m/content/tncm
s/assets/v3/editorial/3/44/344a249e-63d6-11e2-865b-001a4bcf6878/50fd4f
8294eec.image.jpg

...mini balls

Another project for the "MythBusters" TV series. ^_^

I was thinking that too! Remember the one where they did the Robin Hood
legend with one arrow cleaving another arrow?

Darn, I wish I had mini balls, they get in the way. O_o

Start taking steroids. I hear they work well for shrinking balls.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2013 8:37 PM, Tegger wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 9/17/2013 6:03 PM, Oren wrote:

A photo of the rosette bullet:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...m/content/tncm
s/assets/v3/editorial/3/44/344a249e-63d6-11e2-865b-001a4bcf6878/50fd4f
8294eec.image.jpg

...mini balls

Another project for the "MythBusters" TV series. ^_^

I was thinking that too! Remember the one where they did the Robin Hood
legend with one arrow cleaving another arrow?

The guys on the show did one where they tried to recreate the bullet
shot through the sniper scope of a Viet Cong sniper by an American Army
sniper. ^_^

Darn, I wish I had mini balls, they get in the way. O_o

Start taking steroids. I hear they work well for shrinking balls.

I actually have a medical problem and a urologist couldn't take action
when I was in the hospital after a heart attack because I couldn't
tolerate any surgery. I'm doing better so I may see what can be done
now, perhaps a urologist can pull the drain plug? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 22:03:04 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

The guys on the show did one where they tried to recreate the bullet
shot through the sniper scope of a Viet Cong sniper by an American Army
sniper. ^_^

He was a Marine

That sniper was Carlos Hatcock.*

The VC nicknamed him Lông Trang du Kich (White Feather Sniper) because
he kept a white feather in his hat.

Don't know about Mythbusters, but the Marines did recreate the shot
through a scope on the Military Channel.

*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock#Confrontations_With_NVA_Snipers
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The guys on the show did one where they tried to recreate the bullet
shot through the sniper scope of a Viet Cong sniper by an American Army
sniper. ^_^

He was a Marine

That sniper was Carlos Hatcock.*

The VC nicknamed him Lông Trang du Kich (White Feather Sniper) because
he kept a white feather in his hat.

Don't know about Mythbusters, but the Marines did recreate the shot
through a scope on the Military Channel.

*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock#Confrontations_With_NVA_Snipers

Oh gee! I didn't mean to insult The Marines. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCV75G88-cs

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:45:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Don't know about Mythbusters, but the Marines did recreate the shot
through a scope on the Military Channel.

*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock#Confrontations_With_NVA_Snipers

Oh gee! I didn't mean to insult The Marines. ^_^

"Never accuse a Soldier of being a Marine" :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCV75G88-cs

Proved what Marines demonstrated on the Military Channel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't know about Mythbusters, but the Marines did recreate the shot
through a scope on the Military Channel.

*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock#Confrontations_With_NVA_Snipers

Oh gee! I didn't mean to insult The Marines. ^_^

"Never accuse a Soldier of being a Marine" :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCV75G88-cs

Proved what Marines demonstrated on the Military Channel.

Yea, they finally used a military armor piercing round which is probably
what CH used to take out the NVA sniper. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

How long has it been, since our Disarmed Forces
have been allowed live ammo? Couple generations,
maybe?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock#Confrontations_With_NVA_Snipers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCV75G88-cs

Yea, they finally used a military armor piercing round which is probably
what CH used to take out the NVA sniper. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:32:05 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Yea, they finally used a military armor piercing round which is probably
what CH used to take out the NVA sniper. ^_^

He generally used " Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle". I have
no clue as to the round, but I doubt it was an armour piercing round.

.... just sayin'
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:l1b55g
:

I actually have a medical problem and a urologist couldn't take action
when I was in the hospital after a heart attack because I couldn't
tolerate any surgery. I'm doing better so I may see what can be done
now, perhaps a urologist can pull the drain plug? o_O

The human body really sucks sometimes, doesn't it? My 86-year-old mother
keeps telling me that she's really going to give "whoever's up there" an
earful once she's "up there" too.

My father-in-law had a heart attack two years ago. He's doing fairly well
now, so I guess he's lucky.

Hope things go well for you.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yea, they finally used a military armor piercing round which is probably
what CH used to take out the NVA sniper. ^_^

He generally used " Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle". I have
no clue as to the round, but I doubt it was an armour piercing round.

... just sayin'

I got hold of some surplus military 9mm for the Browning Hi-Power I once
owned and that stuff kicked like a mule plus the bullets had a steel
penetrator wrapped with lead inside the full metal jacket. Folks would
tell me a 9mm couldn't punch a hole in anything but that ammo was pure
evil. I now believe it was full of ammunition cooties which kept trying
to get me to go around shooting holes in everything. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2013 6:59 PM, Tegger wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in news:l1b55g
:

I actually have a medical problem and a urologist couldn't take action
when I was in the hospital after a heart attack because I couldn't
tolerate any surgery. I'm doing better so I may see what can be done
now, perhaps a urologist can pull the drain plug? o_O

The human body really sucks sometimes, doesn't it? My 86-year-old mother
keeps telling me that she's really going to give "whoever's up there" an
earful once she's "up there" too.

My father-in-law had a heart attack two years ago. He's doing fairly well
now, so I guess he's lucky.

Hope things go well for you.

Thanks for your good thoughts. Doctors sent me home to die but I refuse
and don't feel bad about disappointing them. My hospice nurse keeps
admonishing me for going out on jobs to help my roommate but I explain
that it's work therapy and I can't just sit around regardless of how
much it hurts to walk, climb and crawl around on the floor to work on
things. I was out today where we installed an extra phone on a phone
system and hooked up an office printer to the customer's network. I also
replaced a pair of 12 volt 7 ah SLA batteries in a backup power
supply/filter for the phone system and network gear. I'm amazed at the
number of folks who trash UPS and backup power supplies when all that is
needed is new batteries. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/local/historic-washington-DC-maps/images/washington-DC-map-1860.jpg

... includes the U.S. Military Asylum and the U.S. Lunatic
Asylum.

pentagon and congress?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

Doctors sent me home to die

You're serious? That's not the most encouraging thing in the world...

but I
refuse and don't feel bad about disappointing them. My hospice nurse
keeps admonishing me for going out on jobs to help my roommate but I
explain that it's work therapy and I can't just sit around regardless
of how much it hurts to walk, climb and crawl around on the floor

That's my mother's attitude as well. Everything is a giant effort for her,
and yet she /forces/ herself to do them. /Makes/ herself go for a walk
(with a wheeled walker), to the store, read, do puzzles, whatever. I think
always staying active in some way or other has helped keep her going as
long as she has, in spite of some non-trivial health problems.

Your hospice nurse needs to get a better understanding of how human minds
work.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yea, they finally used a military armor piercing round which is probably
what CH used to take out the NVA sniper. ^_^

He generally used " Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle". I have
no clue as to the round, but I doubt it was an armour piercing round.

... just sayin'

I got hold of some surplus military 9mm for the Browning Hi-Power I once
owned and that stuff kicked like a mule plus the bullets had a steel
penetrator wrapped with lead inside the full metal jacket. Folks would
tell me a 9mm couldn't punch a hole in anything but that ammo was pure
evil. I now believe it was full of ammunition cooties which kept trying
to get me to go around shooting holes in everything. ^_^

TDD

I have two boxes of cootified .357 rounds. Winchester voluntarily
pulled them from the market. Medical, LEO, and even gun nuts, all
agreed they should be pulled from the market. I bought them for
collection just a few days before they stopped selling them ~1992.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/local/historic-washington-DC-maps/images/washington-DC-map-1860.jpg

... includes the U.S. Military Asylum and the U.S. Lunatic
Asylum.

pentagon and congress?

I'll leave that to those most qualified to decide the merits.