Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT - Washington, DC

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 01:37:55 +0200, nestork
wrote:

If someone lives in the City of Washington, but outside of the borders
of the District of Columbia,

Not possible.

would their mailing address still be
"Washington, DC"?

Georgetown, Maryland existed before the District was created. I
think that was the only town in what is now the District. (Can't say
"incorporated town" because I think there are only 1 or 2 or 3
incorporated towns in the whole state.

I was always confused by the fact that you guys have one map for both
the City of Washington, DC and the District of Columbia, and I can't fit
it in my head that the city is going to stop and suddenly turn into
farmland right on the border of the District of Columbia.

If you go north of DC, it's all on the way to being developed for
commuter housing, plus the things that go with that. It's going to be
one long city from DC to Boston along I-95. But if you go west or
east of the district I'd guess 30 miles, there is farmland.

Does anyone in here live near Washington?

I live about 35 miles from the Capitol. North. Just NW of
Baltimore.

There used to be a farm a tenth of a mile from me, when I moved here
30 years ago. They grew corn. Later they grew hay. and later they
died and their kids finally sold their little farm just before the
economy crashed. Supposed to build expensive townhouses for the last
several years, but haven't. The kids gave the barn to a museum and
the house is still there.