Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clean water in Africa

I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 15:18:44 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

It happens in some cases.

"Buy a Goat, Feed a Village"

Video:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1286906113001/buy-a-goat-feed-a-village/

The Goat-O-Meter

http://goatfortheoldgoat.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

One the surface, that would seem to be a smart idea.
But --- Do they have power for the pump? Do they have people
qualified to maintain the pump and possibly a generator? Fuel readily
available?

I know there are people drilling wells and sending purification
systems for water from other sources. Water is a major problem over
there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 3:18*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. *It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. *The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. *These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

So... you're suspicious... about what...?

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

And a hammer to drive it into the ground?

Wells have to be "drilled". It's further complicated in the African
bush because so few wells have been drilled there's nothing to suggest
where -good- water may be found, and a lot of it that is shallow is
bad.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 15:44:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

One the surface, that would seem to be a smart idea.
But --- Do they have power for the pump? Do they have people
qualified to maintain the pump and possibly a generator? Fuel readily
available?

Solar powered pumps? Or a hand pump, but the water table must be deep
below the surface and a hand pump needs priming...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clean water in Africa (OT)

Metspitzer writes:

I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Let's get this straight, you're in a home repair news group and
you want to broach an off topic subject and all you know about
it is "lots of pictures".

Ever "see any pictures" of pumps installed in Africa?
I have.

Here's a pictu

http://www.toonaripost.com/2011/11/w...se-new-report/

I've also seen pictures of modern African cities.
You know they actually have cities full of modern office buildings
in Africa too.

Another pictu

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=271198

They probably don't use hand operated pumps in most of those
buildings.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

You have no clue do you?

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:18:44 PM UTC-7, Metspitzer wrote:
I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns

carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious

about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,

modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

The women -- all are women -- carrying plastic water containers on their heads often have to walk miles to a source of water, risking rape along the way. If they had water in their village, your suggestion could work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

I'm not sure about that. This was 43 years ago, but I remember as I
crossed from El Salvador to Honduras seeing women at the river below
the bridge I was on washing clothes on the rocks. At the same time I
would guess there were plastic buckets for sale in stores not too far
away**. Unless someone in the family could make his own bucket, the
cheapest thing might be to buy a plastic one.

**I saw them for sale in Guatamala City, and if I had time to go
shopping, I would have seen them in San Salvador, only 100 miles from
where I was then, and probably in smaller closer towns. All this
stuff was sold at a casa plastica, where afaicr everything for sale
was made out of plastic.

I know a man born in a small town on a hill in Poland about 90 years
old now, who had to go part way down the hill to the stream to bring
back buckets of water. He spent the war in Siberia, at the insistent
invitation of the Soviets, and now lives in a house nearby with
running water and central AC. Of course he paid a heavy price for
that.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 17:41:00 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Metspitzer writes:

[...]

Do you mean they have to walk down 20 floors and then back up, to get
a bucket of water? That's terrible. They should move to ground
level. That's why my mother wouldn't live in a tall building.

Maybe the rich people have someone to go get the water, but my mother
wasn't rich.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

You have no clue do you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metspitzer writes:

I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Let's get this straight, you're in a home repair news group and
you want to broach an off topic subject and all you know about
it is "lots of pictures".

Ever "see any pictures" of pumps installed in Africa?
I have.

I am sure they exist. Someone should show it to the women still
carrying the water on their heads.

And.................why is pumping water into huts considered OT?

Here's a pictu

http://www.toonaripost.com/2011/11/w...se-new-report/

I've also seen pictures of modern African cities.
You know they actually have cities full of modern office buildings
in Africa too.

Another pictu

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=271198

They probably don't use hand operated pumps in most of those
buildings.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

You have no clue do you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2013 2:18 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

I recall reading about deep wells dug by relief agencies to provide
clean potable water for villages in Africa containing dangerous levels
of selenium. It seems that every time someone tries to help, another
problem crops up. One charity group provided tractors but no fuel so
the villagers sat on them making vroom vroom sounds and taking the parts
off of them to make necklaces and decorations. A European agency sent
condoms to help prevent the spread of aids but the things were too small
so the condoms wound up being used as balloons. One group sent powered
milk to provide a good source of nutrition but they didn't realize that
most adults in Africa can't digest the milk so the milk wound up being
used as whitewash to paint homes and fences. No good deed goes
unpunished. ^_^

TDD
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metspitzer View Post
I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?
Africa is a basket case, and it's mostly because everything depends on everything else.

You need people that know how to read and write before you can have freedom of speech so that you can have free and fair elections to elect responsible people so that you don't end up with a corrupt government. You need a responsible government before you can have foreign investment into the country, and that means that you have law and order in the country. You need law and order so that people feel secure and save their money to start businesses without having to worry that whatever profit they make will merely be stolen by the police or army. You need good sanitation and health care before you can have a healthy productive work force to support industry and commerce and that requires pipes in the ground carrying clean water one way and sewage the other, and that requires educated people to run the factories that make the pipes, and the engineers to decide where and how to put those pipes in the ground. And that means you need a good economy to have factories making pipes and universities educating engineers, and that means you have to have production in the country (agricultural, industrial, natural resources, etc.) in order to sell to pay people to build the universities and pay the profs.

Everything depends on everything else, and Africa is starting at nothing. Most of it's economy is agricultural, and that means that children often quit school as soon as they are old enough to earn money working on the farms. That means they end up largely illiterate and poor, and that means powerless to change their situation. That means that they're easy prey for corrupt governments to line their pockets with what little money the country gets from agricultural exports.

I think it all starts with freedom of speach and free public education so that everyone is educated well enough to think for themselves and people collectively do what's best for them, and not swallow the propoganda of a king or dictator designed to get them to do what he wants.

Last edited by nestork : June 16th 13 at 05:14 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2013 10:15 PM, nestork wrote:
Metspitzer;3078821 Wrote:
I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

Living in a first world country, it's hard to understand the problems
faced by people in third world countries.

Much of the problems of Africa arise from the fact that many African
governments are extremely corrupt.

For example, the President of Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe, won an election
in the early 2000's by sending people out to the country side (where he
is detested) to register everyone who is old enough to vote. However,
the people doing the registering told everyone that what they were
signing was a pledge to defend Robert Mugabe in the event the USA
invaded Zimbabwe just like it did Iraq in the second Persian Gulf war to
get rid of Saddam Hussain. Consequently, almost no one signed the voter
registration lists, and so only Mugabe supporters were able to vote in
the election.

And, with Mugabe paying the army well, he stays in power.

With corruption like that, no companies want to invest money developing
Zimbabwe's natural resources because they're concerned that their
investment can be lost with the passing of a corrupt law. That puts the
brakes on foreign economic development, and everything else follows.
With little industry in the country, there are few high paying jobs, and
little need for universities to train people to fill those jobs. So,
the countries depend on agricultural exports to sustain their economies
and often corrupt government leaders take most of what little money that
brings in.

So, it really all starts with corruption and snowballs from there. Law
and Order, like we have in the west, Europe and most places in Asia is
critical to economic development, and it's something that's lacking most
places in Africa.

Isn't Chicago turning into a third world country? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 8:18*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. *It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. *The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. *These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

So what are you "suspicious" about?
Have you never been to a third world country?

The containers are scavenged and second hand. The sort of stuff you
throw away every day. Old oil and fertilizer containers etc.

The problem in these countries is ignorance, corruption, political
unrest and violence. They have no proper governance or economies.

And they are intentionally disrupted by the likes of the USA.

There is no solution apart from occupying and running them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.toonaripost.com/2011/11/w...release-new-re...

I've also seen pictures of modern African cities.
You know they actually have cities full of modern office buildings
in Africa too.

Another pictu

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=271198

They probably don't use hand operated pumps in most of those
buildings.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

You have no clue do you?

--
Dan Espen

You don't either.
Nairobi was built by the British when Kenya was a colony.
Nowadays rapidly going down the tube. A real **** hole.
http://www.kenya-advisor.com/poverty-in-kenya.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

I have seen lots of pictures of Africa.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

Even better - why not send pallets of birth-control pills?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The plastic containers are extracted from the trash cans of the nearby cities. The natives are being good sacvengers.

I've heard there are at least a couple agencies trying to provide good water for the African natives.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

The women -- all are women -- carrying plastic water containers on their heads often have to walk miles to a source of water, risking rape along the way. If they had water in their village, your suggestion could work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard of towns where the white man came in
and drilled a well. The natives have no concept of
microbes, so the ox and ohter animals congregate
around the well. The microbes from the ox plop
get into the well, and everyone promptly gets
wicked case of diarrhea.

Friend of mine describes the condom issue. The
relief worker woud demonstrate rolling on the
condom "like this" while wrapping his index finger
with the condom. The natives would roll a condom
on the man's index finger of left hand, and wonder
why the pregnancy rate is going up.

Aparently, the natives are good at driving stolen Jeeps,
and firing stolen battle rifles.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

I recall reading about deep wells dug by relief agencies to provide
clean potable water for villages in Africa containing dangerous levels
of selenium. It seems that every time someone tries to help, another
problem crops up. One charity group provided tractors but no fuel so
the villagers sat on them making vroom vroom sounds and taking the parts
off of them to make necklaces and decorations. A European agency sent
condoms to help prevent the spread of aids but the things were too small
so the condoms wound up being used as balloons. One group sent powered
milk to provide a good source of nutrition but they didn't realize that
most adults in Africa can't digest the milk so the milk wound up being
used as whitewash to paint homes and fences. No good deed goes
unpunished. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

You were writing about Africa! I thought you
meant Chicago!

I've heard that the famines are mostly man made
population control. The blond white chicks show up
with a boat load of supplies, and can't understand why
the skinnies with AK and jeeps won't let them go feed
the stick figures.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"nestork" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. Gun violence, and corruption.... might
have a point.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

So, it really all starts with corruption and snowballs from there. Law
and Order, like we have in the west, Europe and most places in Asia is
critical to economic development, and it's something that's lacking most
places in Africa.

Isn't Chicago turning into a third world country? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 11:15*pm, nestork wrote:
Metspitzer;3078821 Wrote:

[...]

But you still have to ask the legitimate question of why so
much of Africa is like that. The potential for corruption exists
around the world. Yet most countries have figured out how
to deal with it, eliminate it, control it, or at least co-exist with
it.
Yet after hundreds of years and a lot of aid from the rest of the
world, most of Africa is a big mess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 3:13*am, harry wrote:
On Jun 15, 8:18*pm, Metspitzer wrote:

I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. *It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. *The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. *These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

So what are you "suspicious" about?
Have you never been to a third world country?

The containers are scavenged and second hand. The sort of stuff you
throw away every day. Old oil and fertilizer containers etc.

The problem in these countries is ignorance, corruption, political
unrest and violence. They have no proper governance or economies.

And they are intentionally disrupted by the likes of the USA.

Speaking of ignorance, here we have the village idiot blaming
the USA for "intentionally disrupting" Africa. What exactly have
we done to disrupt Africa? Send them billions in aid? Food
for the starving? What exactly would the purpose be to
"disrupting Africa"? If they had even half way successful
economies, we wouldn't have to send them aid and they
would be another large continent that could buy products from the
USA, benefitting both them and us. And as far as actual
involvement in African countries, perhaps you should look
closer to home at the UK and France.

There is no solution apart from occupying and running them.

And then you top it off with the above. Good grief, you're an
imbecile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 07:22:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

And they are intentionally disrupted by the likes of the USA.

Speaking of ignorance, here we have the village idiot blaming
the USA for "intentionally disrupting" Africa. What exactly have
we done to disrupt Africa? Send them billions in aid? Food
for the starving? What exactly would the purpose be to
"disrupting Africa"? If they had even half way successful
economies, we wouldn't have to send them aid and they
would be another large continent that could buy products from the
USA, benefitting both them and us. And as far as actual
involvement in African countries, perhaps you should look
closer to home at the UK and France.

British and Irish soldiers has joined a European mission to train
local troops in Mali.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0LXIgCwhtU
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 3:22*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 16, 3:13*am, harry wrote:

[...]

Well you have sent arms and bombed them.
You have destablised any regime that interfered with UScommercial
purposes.
http://www.geopoliticalmonitor.com/u...in-africa-4123
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 10:59*am, harry wrote:
On Jun 16, 3:22*pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 16, 3:13*am, harry wrote:

[...]

purposes.http://www.geopoliticalmonitor.com/u...-in-africa...- Hide quoted text -

I can see that you're very easily led astray. Rational people would
take one look at that link you supplied and laugh. It's titled
"US military intervention in Africa". Yet it's all about the number
of US military installations WORLDWIDE, US defense spending,
China, Russia, etc. Not one example of the US intervening, sending
arms,
bombing Africa to take their resources, which is their principal
claim.

Even for a commie pinko bedwetter, I would think they
could come up with a better BS piece of work. But you fell for
it hook, line and sinker. You think that just because they say
it in the title, it's proven. It shows not only how stupid you are,
but how stupid those who write this crap know you and those
like you are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

One the surface, that would seem to be a smart idea.
But --- Do they have power for the pump? Do they have people
qualified to maintain the pump and possibly a generator? Fuel readily
available?

I know there are people drilling wells and sending purification
systems for water from other sources. Water is a major problem over
there.

Overpopulation over there is a major problem, driven by well intentioned
but ultimately destructive foreign aid. Foreign aid also drives the
corruption that further maintains the festering dung heap that is most
of Africa.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 09:12:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

As for the scale of what's required for such a visit and the
cost, one of the cable channels, probably Discovery, was
in Africa when Bush visited. They showed what went on
before and during the visit. It was amazing. Some examples:

Any fuel sources for AF1 have to be tested and then
sealed and secured. In one country, they could not do
that to their satisfaction. So, the AF brought in 7 large
fuel tanker trucks, with fuel, aboard C17s from Europe
to refuel AF1.

They take both 747's that serve as AF1. During the visit
there was a volcano erupting and there was concern that
the ash could be a problem. So, they had one 747 fly
ahead of the other, checking the conditions. Seems to me
if you want to check for ash, it might be better to send
a cheap plane, but then, that's me. Apparently it's std
practice to send one ahead to check for best flight
levels, weather, etc, since they both have to go anyhow.

It really was an interesting show, to see all the complexity
involved.

I watched that show. One airport had no radar, so pilots used charts
to navigate and land.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 16:00:07 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I wonder how far $100 million would go helping rural African medical
clinics keeping "The Children" alive and preventing them from going
blind by providing proper nutrition for the little tykes? Gosh, I
imagine there are a lot of things $100 million could help fix like the
storm damage done to the various communities around the U.S. o_O

TDD

You could feed a million Africans for a few months, but that would
spoil the First Family Vacation.

OTOH, I've read that food aid is spoiling in warehouses in some
countries where the corrupt government is not allowing distribution or
is selling it on the black market.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

Much of the water being carried is coming from a stream or water-hole
- not a well The plastic containers are either re-purposed (cooking
oil containers, pails that other products are shipped in, containers
that are imported (from China or wherever) or containers made in the
country (often as part of a recycling program) All of the above were
used when I was in Zambia and Burkina Faso.

Boreholes, or wells, are being dug by many aid agencies, and pumps are
being installed - but the water is still in most cases hand carried
(or head carried) from the well to the house. In some cases barrels
are used on carts. The pumps are manually operated, and usually of
simple enough construction that they can be maintained by the
villagers themselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:58:48 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 15:44:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

One the surface, that would seem to be a smart idea.
But --- Do they have power for the pump? Do they have people
qualified to maintain the pump and possibly a generator? Fuel readily
available?

Solar powered pumps? Or a hand pump, but the water table must be deep
below the surface and a hand pump needs priming...

Hand pumps are the normal way of doing it - simple, robust hand
pumps that can be maintained, and even made, in the villages. Several
people in each village are usually trained to some extent in the
maintenance of the pump.

Anything complex is worse than nothing, because it breaks down - and
when it breaks down it cannot be readilly repaired - so there is no
water again..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 00:13:55 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jun 15, 8:18*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I have seen lots of pictures of Africa. *It shows entire towns
carrying water on their heads. *The thing that makes me suspicious
about these pictures is that all of the water containers are plastic,
modern plastic. *These have obviously been supplied by some type aid.

Why not send some PVC and a pump?

So what are you "suspicious" about?
Have you never been to a third world country?

The containers are scavenged and second hand. The sort of stuff you
throw away every day. Old oil and fertilizer containers etc.

The problem in these countries is ignorance, corruption, political
unrest and violence. They have no proper governance or economies.

And they are intentionally disrupted by the likes of the USA.

There is no solution apart from occupying and running them.

Sounds like a British Colonialist.

Ever lived and worked in Africa, Harry??? Didn't think so. And if you
did you had your head so far up your backside you didn't see anything
going on around you.

Yes, corruption is a large problem Political unrest sprouts from that
- and with it, violence.
Poverty is a bigger problem - some caused by corruption - but much by
circumstances - unreliable rains, famine, etc.

Ignorance can be cured. It's called education. Education can help
alleviate poverty - and also cut down on corruption and unrest.

Occupying and running them has not worked.

Educating them is definitely helping.

I've worked in 2 african countries - my daughter has been actively
working in 3, and is leaving on Wednesday to check on projects in 2
more, where the agency she is working with is actively involved. She
will be in Mali and Mauritania for the next month.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer writes:
[...]

Because the British (and the French and Portugese) just took over and
ran things, instead of teaching the locals how to do things for
themselves.

Yes, development in Africa is a vairy difficult subject - if it
wasn't, not everybody who has tried in the past would have failed as
dismally as they have - but progress is being made - one step at a
time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 07:59:42 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jun 16, 3:22*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 16, 3:13*am, harry wrote:

[...]

And britain did what???????
And France, And Portugal?

Took what they wanted, and when the poing got tough they just buggered
off, leaving their mess behind them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard that most of the African famines are
warfare, one tribe (who controls the warehouses)
trying to kill off the other tribe of stick figures,
who don't have warehouses. The Jeep and AK-47
Africans want the stick figures to starve to death
and be done with.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

You could feed a million Africans for a few months, but that would
spoil the First Family Vacation.

OTOH, I've read that food aid is spoiling in warehouses in some
countries where the corrupt government is not allowing distribution or
is selling it on the black market.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well you have sent arms and bombed them.

Hey Dummy. The USA fought Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel, popularly
known as The Desert Fox, was a German Field Marshal in North Africa.

Dad and his brother fought side by side and came home. Dad with a
Purple Heart.

Didn't Rommel whip the Brit's in North Africa?

You always make **** up harry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I wonder how far $100 million would go helping rural African medical
clinics keeping "The Children" alive and preventing them from going
blind by providing proper nutrition for the little tykes? Gosh, I
imagine there are a lot of things $100 million could help fix like the
storm damage done to the various communities around the U.S. o_O

TDD

You could feed a million Africans for a few months, but that would
spoil the First Family Vacation.

OTOH, I've read that food aid is spoiling in warehouses in some
countries where the corrupt government is not allowing distribution or
is selling it on the black market.

It's a real shame when folks try to help the unfortunate but the despots
and warlords who have seized control of those impoverished countries
take all the relief supplies for themselves. It's one of those
situations where your political beliefs may tell you not to interfere
with the government of other countries but your conscience
tells you to kick somebody's ass for what they're doing to helpless
people, especially children. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Friend of mine from church has done a lot of Africa relief, and some other folks have gone along. I should know more, perhaps some day.

I'd like if your daughter would write a bit, maybe set up a web page. Send us the text, or link.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message ...

Ever lived and worked in Africa, Harry??? Didn't think so. And if you
did you had your head so far up your backside you didn't see anything
going on around you.

Yes, corruption is a large problem Political unrest sprouts from that
- and with it, violence.
Poverty is a bigger problem - some caused by corruption - but much by
circumstances - unreliable rains, famine, etc.

Ignorance can be cured. It's called education. Education can help
alleviate poverty - and also cut down on corruption and unrest.

Occupying and running them has not worked.

Educating them is definitely helping.

I've worked in 2 african countries - my daughter has been actively
working in 3, and is leaving on Wednesday to check on projects in 2
more, where the agency she is working with is actively involved. She
will be in Mali and Mauritania for the next month.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 4:15*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:59*am, harry wrote:

purposes.http://www.geopoliticalmonitor.com/u...-africa...Hide quoted text -

I can see that you're very easily led astray. Rational people would
take one look at that link you supplied and laugh. *It's titled
"US military intervention in Africa". *Yet it's all about the number
of US military installations WORLDWIDE, US defense spending,
China, Russia, etc. *Not one example of the US intervening, sending
arms,
bombing Africa to take their resources, which is their principal
claim.

Showing your usual level of ignorance I see.
Libya was one well known example where the US bombed in Africa.
But you have a very short attention span.
A lot of it is done "covertly" through third parties.