Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smelly refrigerator water- how to clean water line

I have an older Amana side by side refrig. Moidel NO SQD25NBW - 12-15 yrs
old
Lately, the water from the front drinking water dispenser has a smell to it.
"Rotten egg". Taste is ok though. I have another regierator in the same
house- water smells and tastes fine. All faucets, even next to the refrig
with the smelly water, smells fine out of the faucet. What's a good way to
clean the water in the refrig water line and water reservoir?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cam Cam is offline

On Apr 18, 8:47 am, "Bill" wrote:
I have an older Amana side by side refrig. Moidel NO SQD25NBW - 12-15 yrs
old
Lately, the water from the front drinking water dispenser has a smell to it.
"Rotten egg". Taste is ok though. I have another regierator in the same
house- water smells and tastes fine. All faucets, even next to the refrig
with the smelly water, smells fine out of the faucet. What's a good way to
clean the water in the refrig water line and water reservoir?

I suspect your filter is the cause, replace that and then flush the
system.

Cam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 9:47�am, "Bill" wrote:
This model does not have a filter.

"Cam" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 18, 8:47 am, "Bill" wrote:
I have an older Amana side by side refrig. *Moidel NO SQD25NBW - 12-15
yrs
old
Lately, the water from the front drinking water dispenser has a smell to
it.
"Rotten egg". *Taste is ok though. I have another regierator in the same
house- water smells and tastes fine. *All faucets, even next to the
refrig
with the smelly water, smells fine out of the faucet. *What's a good way
clean the water in the refrig water line and water reservoir?

I suspect your filter is the cause, replace that and then flush the
system.

Cam- Hide quoted text -

try emptying icemaker completely, clean area completely then let cup
water run for 10 minutes or so to flush everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
et...
This model does not have a filter.

"Cam" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 18, 8:47 am, "Bill" wrote:
I have an older Amana side by side refrig. Moidel NO SQD25NBW - 12-15
yrs
old
Lately, the water from the front drinking water dispenser has a smell to
it.
"Rotten egg". Taste is ok though. I have another regierator in the same
house- water smells and tastes fine. All faucets, even next to the
refrig
with the smelly water, smells fine out of the faucet. What's a good way
clean the water in the refrig water line and water reservoir?

I suspect your filter is the cause, replace that and then flush the
system.

Cam

I kill the rotten egg smell in our hot water heater with hydrogen peroxide.
get a small bottle at rite aid or cvs for $ 0.99 and pour that into the
fridge water line, (that will probably be the toughest part.) let it sit
for a night, and then flush it out in the morning, should be all good

I pour in 1 large bottle into our 50 gallon hot water heater, and that takes
care of the smell for a month or so. before the little critters get back in
from the well and start to make it smell again.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought about a bit of bleach too- but any suggestions on how to get it
into the line?
Thought maybe an RV winterizing thingy - attached to the end of the hose and
pump it in.

"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
et...
This model does not have a filter.

"Cam" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 18, 8:47 am, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
et...
I thought about a bit of bleach too- but any suggestions on how to get it
into the line?
Thought maybe an RV winterizing thingy - attached to the end of the hose
and pump it in.

Sorry, no good help on getting it into the line..
just a wag here
you could disconnect the plastic source line and place that in the bottle
raised higher than the tap, and then start to draw water, kind of
syphoning the h202 into the line.
pull in the bottles worth, and then let it sit for a bit, then flush the
whole system and your good.

I'd avoid the bleach personally, cause if you somehow manage to leave some
"cleaner" in the system i'd much rather drink diluted h202 than bleach.

Dave

"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
et...