Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water stain in rug, how to clean?

Hi...

We had a living room rug that a cat puked on (a small bile stain
about 3-4 inches in diameter). We tried cleaning it with Nature's
Miracle and Woolite Rug cleaner; the stain got a bit lighter but grew to
about 8 inches. We tried successive cleanings with Resolve and other
cleaners and the circle just kept getting bigger. Finally we dragged it
out on the porch and washed it with soap and water.

While the core of the stain is lighter, there seems to be a ring of
water stain growing outwards with successive washings. Any good
suggestions how to get the water stain ring out?

Thanks
Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 6:21 pm, Mark Modrall wrote:
Hi...

We had a living room rug that a cat puked on (a small bile stain
about 3-4 inches in diameter). We tried cleaning it with Nature's
Miracle and Woolite Rug cleaner; the stain got a bit lighter but grew to
about 8 inches. We tried successive cleanings with Resolve and other
cleaners and the circle just kept getting bigger. Finally we dragged it
out on the porch and washed it with soap and water.

While the core of the stain is lighter, there seems to be a ring of
water stain growing outwards with successive washings. Any good
suggestions how to get the water stain ring out?

Thanks
Mark

It sounds as if it is an area rug. If it is valuable it may be worth
it to have it professionally cleaned by a company that specializes in
cleaning valuable rugs.

They will be able to tell you what can be done about the stain or
not. These companies can use chemicals and processes not available to
a homewoner. If the rug is not worth the cost of a professional
cleaning then throw it away. What did you pay for the rug?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

We had a living room rug that a cat puked on (a small bile stain
about 3-4 inches in diameter). We tried cleaning it with Nature's
Miracle and Woolite Rug cleaner; the stain got a bit lighter but grew to
about 8 inches. We tried successive cleanings with Resolve and other
cleaners and the circle just kept getting bigger. Finally we dragged it
out on the porch and washed it with soap and water.

While the core of the stain is lighter, there seems to be a ring of
water stain growing outwards with successive washings. Any good
suggestions how to get the water stain ring out?

Thanks
Mark

I agree with Lawrence. If you want to try one more thing, try club soda. Not
the half-full bottle that's been in the refrigerator since Thanksgiving, but
a fresh bottle. It might take a couple of big bottles to thoroughly saturate
the area. Soak it, wait a few minutes, then put a clean towel on the area
and walk on it with CLEAN FEET to blot up as much liquid as possible.

And, tell that cat to stop acting like a dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I agree with Lawrence. If you want to try one more thing, try club soda. Not
the half-full bottle that's been in the refrigerator since Thanksgiving, but
a fresh bottle. It might take a couple of big bottles to thoroughly saturate
the area. Soak it, wait a few minutes, then put a clean towel on the area
and walk on it with CLEAN FEET to blot up as much liquid as possible.

The rug's not worth much and at the end of it's life. The difference
is if I can clean it, I can donate it to a cause that might use it as
opposed to landfill.

I'll try the club soda part (since there's nothing left to lose ).
Thanks for the suggestion.

And, tell that cat to stop acting like a dog.

Have you ever tried to tell a cat anything?

Thanks
Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

You have to learn to give the cat THE LOOK. They understand THE LOOK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:21:09 GMT, Mark Modrall
wrote:

Hi...

We had a living room rug that a cat puked on (a small bile stain
about 3-4 inches in diameter). We tried cleaning it with Nature's
Miracle and Woolite Rug cleaner; the stain got a bit lighter but grew to
about 8 inches. We tried successive cleanings with Resolve and other
cleaners and the circle just kept getting bigger. Finally we dragged it
out on the porch and washed it with soap and water.

While the core of the stain is lighter, there seems to be a ring of
water stain growing outwards with successive washings. Any good
suggestions how to get the water stain ring out?

Thanks
Mark

OxyClean is very good at removing stains. In a quart container put
1/4 cup hot water, mix in a tablespoon of OxyClean, and apply the hot
solution to the stain. If this lightens the stain but does not remove
the stain, repeat. Caution: Be aware that OxyClean can remove color
from fabrics, although I have not seen this happen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I agree with Lawrence. If you want to try one more thing, try club
soda. Not
the half-full bottle that's been in the refrigerator since
Thanksgiving, but
a fresh bottle. It might take a couple of big bottles to thoroughly
saturate
the area. Soak it, wait a few minutes, then put a clean towel on the
area and walk on it with CLEAN FEET to blot up as much liquid as
possible.

The rug's not worth much and at the end of it's life. The
difference
is if I can clean it, I can donate it to a cause that might use it as
opposed to landfill.

I'll try the club soda part (since there's nothing left to lose
).
Thanks for the suggestion.

And, tell that cat to stop acting like a dog.

Have you ever tried to tell a cat anything?

Thanks
Mark

You have to learn to give the cat THE LOOK. They understand THE LOOK.

You certainly do know cats Joe...