Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a "special" tool for moving dead brush 100 feet away?

I own a wood chipper, but I've learned that a 2-inch chipper takes
forever ... so ... for fire prevention, I need to arrange brush for
professional wood chipping next week, so, last night, I created a
half dozen small brush piles which need to be moved to the roadway:

I need to move some brush uphill, some downhill, and then, once on
pavement, down about a hundred or so feet into piles convenient for
the professional wood chipping crew:

My question: Not owning a pickup truck, is there a hand tool for
moving brush piles en masse a hundred feet once on the roadway?

PS: Sorry for the poor quality photos; it took far longer to
collect the brush and move it down the hill than I thought,
so these pictures are when it covered the driveway and I
was moving it to the roadway about 100 to 150 feet away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote:
I own a wood chipper, but I've learned that a 2-inch chipper takes
forever ... so ... for fire prevention, I need to arrange brush for
professional wood chipping next week, so, last night, I created a
half dozen small brush piles which need to be moved to the roadway:

I need to move some brush uphill, some downhill, and then, once on
pavement, down about a hundred or so feet into piles convenient for
the professional wood chipping crew:

My question: Not owning a pickup truck, is there a hand tool for
moving brush piles en masse a hundred feet once on the roadway?

PS: Sorry for the poor quality photos; it took far longer to
collect the brush and move it down the hill than I thought,
so these pictures are when it covered the driveway and I
was moving it to the roadway about 100 to 150 feet away.

Rake it onto a tarp, then grab a corner or 4 and drag it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

Rake it onto a tarp, then grab a corner or 4 and drag it.

That is what I do when I trim the shrubs in the yard. Spread the tarp and
put the trimmings on it and then pull it to the edge of the woods to dump
it. If I had a lot and a long way to go, I might be tempted to put a rope
on the tarp and pul it with the riding mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 3:26*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

Rake it onto a tarp, then grab a corner or 4 and drag it.

That is what I do when I trim the shrubs in the yard. *Spread the tarp and
put the trimmings on it and then pull it to the edge of the woods to dump
it. *If I had a lot and a long way to go, I might be tempted to put a rope
on the tarp and pul it with the riding mower.

What he says sounds pretty familiar to me, it's what I do for somewhat
shorter hauling distances,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 13:19:04 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Rake it onto a tarp, then grab a corner or 4 and drag it.

+1

(I bet he can't get Dynamite)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:37:12 PM UTC-6, Danny D wrote:
I own a wood chipper, but I've learned that a 2-inch chipper takes

forever ... so ... for fire prevention, I need to arrange brush for

professional wood chipping next week, so, last night, I created a

half dozen small brush piles which need to be moved to the roadway:

I need to move some brush uphill, some downhill, and then, once on

pavement, down about a hundred or so feet into piles convenient for

the professional wood chipping crew:

My question: Not owning a pickup truck, is there a hand tool for

moving brush piles en masse a hundred feet once on the roadway?

PS: Sorry for the poor quality photos; it took far longer to

collect the brush and move it down the hill than I thought,

so these pictures are when it covered the driveway and I

was moving it to the roadway about 100 to 150 feet away.

Lord love a duck...you have hands and arms...pick up the wood and CARRY it
to where you want it. How do you thing mankind has transported stuff for
eons?

Geez....some pipples are slow.

===
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:26:46 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

Lord love a duck...you have hands and arms...pick up the wood and CARRY it
to where you want it. How do you thing mankind has transported stuff for
eons?

wheelbarrows

Geez....some pipples are slow.

Who?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

Lord love a duck...you have hands and arms...pick up the wood and
CARRY it to where you want it. How do you thing mankind has
transported stuff for eons?

wheelbarrows

Geez....some pipples are slow.

Who?

turtles and slugs and.............

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 14:26:00 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

Lord love a duck...you have hands and arms...pick up the wood and
CARRY it to where you want it. How do you thing mankind has
transported stuff for eons?

wheelbarrows

Geez....some pipples are slow.

Who?

turtles and slugs and.............

Danny does have portable trash / recycle cans ~ 90 gal. size.

They have wheels for transport of some sticks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 13:55:53 -0700, Oren wrote:

Danny does have portable trash / recycle cans ~ 90 gal. size.
They have wheels for transport of some sticks.

You know, Oren, that's a good idea!

It's embarrassing, but, I hadn't even thought about
using the recycling bins for *temporary* transport!

I actually have quite a few of those green/blue buckets, because
I fill them up every week for the recycling crew, but I knew
that it would take me the rest of my life if I tried to
fill them this time.

I'm not finished yet, but the four-foot high piles of fifteen
feet long branches stretches at least 150 feet along the
roadway.

It's a long linear pile because I had to keep them behind
the white line - and there isn't much room on the roadway:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 13:19:04 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Rake it onto a tarp, then grab a corner or 4 and drag it.

This is the best idea of all, although I'll have to carry or
throw the ten to twenty-foot gnarly long wood branches onto
the tarp, rather than raking them onto it.

I only realized I must have left my tarp camping last week
when I went to look for it; so I will ask my buddies if they
have it perchance.

Until then, I was using this 100-foot safety rope, using
the same concept and idea of the tarp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 16:26:52 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I might be tempted to put a rope on the tarp and
pull it with the riding mower.

Thanks Ralph! That was a great idea of using the rope!

I *wish* I had a riding mower (or a bobcat!) but, in the
end, I used my hefty weight to pull the unwieldy 15 feet
wide bundles a few hundred feet down to the roadway to
then line them up the 150 or so feet it took to fit all
the four foot piles in a long linear row behind the white
line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 May 2013 17:49:12 -0700, wrote:

What he says sounds pretty familiar to me, it's what I do
for somewhat shorter hauling distances,

That idea of using the 100-foot rope worked like a charm!

I found, with experience, that a double wrap was easier to
hold, and a double loop of that double wrap allowed for ease
of steering left and right (like a pitman arm, idler arm
combination) since the bundle tended to go off course after
50 to 100 feet down the roadway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:02:05 -0700, Oren wrote:

(I bet he can't get Dynamite)

I sure wanted dynamite. Or gasoline, after collecting
these branches from a wide swath of about 200 feet
of hillside, funneling it all downhill into a series
of tall channels that dumped onto the roadway:

At that point, the pile still had a few hundred feet to go,
but at least the next hundred feet were on pavement (which
is infinitely easier than moving the stuff to that
collection point from scatterings along the steep hillside).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 00:46:51 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

You can drag quite a bit of the pile that way.
This works particularly well if you don't cut the pieces
too short.

I cut the brush at the base last year, so they're all their
original size, which means a lot are 20 feet long, although the
average is probably something around 10 to 15 feet long.

They're pretty gnarly though:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:26:46 -0700, Roy wrote:

...you have hands and arms...
pick up the wood and CARRY it to where you want it.

As you noted, I did carry the sticks, one by one, from the
hillside, which looked like this after a few hours of carrying:

But then, at about five different points, there was this
taller-than-a-man pile at junction points to deal with:

I was looking for a better way than *carrying* five of those
piles a hundred and fifty feet by hand to the final destination.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:26:46 -0700, Roy wrote:

How do you thing mankind has transported stuff for eons?

Funny you mention that, because I fell back into the stone
age building a rustic "plow" out of a chunk of wood:

I used the yoke end to push the piles into bundles:

And, I used the barbed end to tease the tangled mess apart:

Once I got the pile manageable, then I moved into the rope
age, which did the bulk of the distance moving.

And, when it was all almost cleaned up, only then could I
move into the wheelbarrow and broom age to clean up the
aftermath.

It was then a hot shower and poison oak detoxifying step.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 11:58:06 -0700, Oren wrote:

How do you thing mankind has transported stuff for eons?
wheelbarrows

Hmmm... looking at this picture of just one of the collection
points, would you use a wheelbarrow on that tangled mess?

The wheelbarrow *did* come in handy though, near the end,
when all that was left are these gnarly bits and pieces:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 14:26:00 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

Geez....some pipples are slow.

Who?

turtles and slugs and...

I think he means me!

It took hours over a span of three days to clear the entire
hillside by pushing the brush downhill to five collection points,
dumping it onto the pavement - and then moving it to the roadway.

I did lose my ladder at one point ... I was perplexed about where it
went, until I saw it buried under the piles as I teased them apart:

My next clearing will be the hardest of all, as the brush has
to move *uphill* about 50 feet! That's going to take some
mechanical ingenuity to accomplish efficiently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just curious. Did you just spend more time here at A.H.R asking questions,
providing updates, taking and posting photos, etc. than you would have
spent just piking up the branches and moving them? It seems like you did.

I can't believe what a massive production you made out of such a small and
simple job.

Whatever you do, don't try to build a dog house. It will take you years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 10:50:33 +0000, JoeBro wrote:

more time here at A.H.R asking questions,
providing updates, taking and posting photos, etc. than you would have
spent just piking up the branches and moving them?

Learning takes more time than doing.

Snapping & annotating photos takes more time than not.
Enjoying the learning is far better than the task itself.

Most people ask, and leave.
Most people just want the job done (any way they can).

Reminds me of the workmen who use a screwdriver & hammer
for everything, simply because it's expedient (caring not
for galling your equipment).

I'm not most people; I enjoy learning about everything
related to home repair - mostly because I've never had
the luxury of time & property to do it myself before.

I can't wait 'till I build my custom hillside tool shed!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 15:22:51 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

I can't wait 'till I build my custom hillside tool shed!

Stand by folks... it ought to be a hoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D writes:

On Tue, 28 May 2013 10:50:33 +0000, JoeBro wrote:

more time here at A.H.R asking questions,
providing updates, taking and posting photos, etc. than you would have
spent just piking up the branches and moving them?

Learning takes more time than doing.

Snapping & annotating photos takes more time than not.
Enjoying the learning is far better than the task itself.

Most people ask, and leave.
Most people just want the job done (any way they can).

Reminds me of the workmen who use a screwdriver & hammer
for everything, simply because it's expedient (caring not
for galling your equipment).

I'm not most people; I enjoy learning about everything
related to home repair - mostly because I've never had
the luxury of time & property to do it myself before.

I can't wait 'till I build my custom hillside tool shed!

I can see it now...

Is there a special foundation for keeping my tool shed from
sliding down this hill.

Pictures of a pile of lumber and tools in a valley.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 11:53:59 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

I can't wait 'till I build my custom hillside tool shed!

I can see it now...

Is there a special foundation for keeping my tool shed from
sliding down this hill.

Pictures of a pile of lumber and tools in a valley.

...."special foundation"

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02570/potd-house-lake_2570082k.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 10:22*am, Danny D wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2013 10:50:33 +0000, JoeBro wrote:
more time here at A.H.R asking questions,
providing updates, taking and posting photos, etc. than you would have
spent just piking up the branches and moving them?

Learning takes more time than doing.

Snapping & annotating photos takes more time than not.
Enjoying the learning is far better than the task itself.

Most people ask, and leave.
Most people just want the job done (any way they can).

Reminds me of the workmen who use a screwdriver & hammer
for everything, simply because it's expedient (caring not
for galling your equipment).

I'm not most people; I enjoy learning about everything
related to home repair - mostly because I've never had
the luxury of time & property to do it myself before.

I can't wait 'till I build my custom hillside tool shed!

Ignore the negative comments, it's been a hoot reading the thread, and
from other posts you have made you're
really quite smart and have good ideas!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 10:00:16 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I can't wait 'till I build my custom hillside tool shed!

Ignore the negative comments, it's been a hoot reading the thread, and
from other posts you have made you're
really quite smart and have good ideas!!!

It is a hoot! I've learned some things from his threads. I was never
able to teach him to just pull drywall down from a garage door header.

A hillside tool shed should be good for 900 threads on the subject.
Another hoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote in :

On Tue, 28 May 2013 10:50:33 +0000, JoeBro wrote:

more time here at A.H.R asking questions,
providing updates, taking and posting photos, etc. than you would have
spent just piking up the branches and moving them?

Learning takes more time than doing.

Obviously that is your case. However most people can learn to pick up a
few sticks and move them at the same time they are just doing it.

Nevertheless, as some point out, your posts are a hoot. Great for a laugh
and to make most of us very glad that we aren't you.

Now, try to figure out how to make some trusses for your tool shed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeBro writes:

Danny D wrote in :

On Tue, 28 May 2013 10:50:33 +0000, JoeBro wrote:

more time here at A.H.R asking questions,
providing updates, taking and posting photos, etc. than you would have
spent just piking up the branches and moving them?

Learning takes more time than doing.

Obviously that is your case. However most people can learn to pick up a
few sticks and move them at the same time they are just doing it.

Nevertheless, as some point out, your posts are a hoot. Great for a laugh
and to make most of us very glad that we aren't you.

Isn't it great when you have someone to ridicule?
Makes it so easy to forget your own shortcomings.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 08:52:49 -0700, Oren wrote:

I can't wait 'till I build my custom hillside tool shed!

Stand by folks... it ought to be a hoot.

It's gonna match the architecture of the house!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 10:16:08 -0700, Oren wrote:

A hillside tool shed should be good for 900 threads on
the subject.

And that's just for the foundation!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 18:46:34 +0000, JoeBro wrote:

most people can learn to pick up a few sticks and move
them at the same time they are just doing it.

I was hoping for a better way.

In fact, I'm praying for a better way, because I still have
about a hundred linear feet of slop to clear where the roadway
is UPHILL fifty feet ... which has to be done this week.

I'm thinking of just throwing the darn things uphill
but then they'll clutter the roadway and be a hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 19:51:21 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Tue, 28 May 2013 08:52:49 -0700, Oren wrote:

I can't wait 'till I build my custom hillside tool shed!

Stand by folks... it ought to be a hoot.

It's gonna match the architecture of the house!

Stucco?

Get more primitive; like, what a real man would do on a hillside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 13:15:27 -0700, Oren wrote:

Get more primitive; like, what a real man would do on a hillside.

A man cave?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 20:36:26 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Tue, 28 May 2013 13:15:27 -0700, Oren wrote:

Get more primitive; like, what a real man would do on a hillside.

A man cave?

No. Not at all. Caves are dangerous and kill people. Put the shed on
the same elevation of the house.

Worry about the small stuff later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 28 May 2013 13:15:27 -0700, Oren wrote:

Get more primitive; like, what a real man would do on a hillside.

A man cave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQPGJSIq3ys
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 19:53:07 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Tue, 28 May 2013 10:16:08 -0700, Oren wrote:

A hillside tool shed should be good for 900 threads on
the subject.

And that's just for the foundation!

Have you studied the history of the tool shed, yet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 16:59:00 -0400, wrote:

A man cave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQPGJSIq3ys

Come in Thelma, radio check! Copy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 14:07:41 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 28 May 2013 16:59:00 -0400, wrote:

A man cave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQPGJSIq3ys

Come in Thelma, radio check! Copy?

Well, you wanted a *real* man cave...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 17:00:15 -0400, krw wrote:

Have you studied the history of the tool shed, yet?

I'm still working on the geology report for the foundation
materials. Hornblende, quartz, schist, etc.