Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing Machine "walks" several feet

I have a 4 year old Maytag washer which has recently begun "walking"
around during the spin cycle. It moves several feet from its original
position.

The washer is carefully levelled and the feet are making solid contact
with the concrete floor. The levelling from side to side and from front
to back has been checked multiple times and appears essentially perfect.

The size of the load and the distribution of the load does not seem to
make much difference, if any.

This has just recently begun, and the prior levelling seemed to keep
the machine from "walking" for the last 4 years, even with several
loads per week of use.

Are there vibration dampers or other parts which wear out? Are there
other things which can be adjusted "do it yourself"?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 3:14�pm, "Smarty" wrote:
I have a 4 year old Maytag washer which has recently begun "walking"
around during the spin cycle. It moves several feet from its original
position.

The washer is carefully levelled and the feet are making solid contact
with the concrete floor. The levelling from side to side and from front
to back has been checked multiple times and appears essentially perfect.

The size of the load and the distribution of the load does not seem to
make much difference, if any.

This has just recently begun, and the prior levelling seemed to keep
the machine from "walking" for the last 4 years, even with several
loads per week of use.

Are there vibration dampers or other parts which wear out? Are there
other things which can be adjusted "do it yourself"?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Over time, concrete can settle. Did you check the floor for level? You
might try putting small rubber pads between the washer feet and
concrete.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sure there are parts that wear out. Off the edge of my
remembery, some units use fiber spacers to hold up the wash
drum, or mabye big springs. In any case, sounds like time to
call a washing machine repair tech before something goes
worse.

Also google Appliance Repair Clinic, that web site is
aparently very helpful.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smarty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 2:14*pm, "Smarty" wrote:
I have a 4 year old Maytag washer which has recently begun "walking"
around during the spin cycle. It moves several feet from its original
position.

The washer is carefully levelled and the feet are making solid contact
with the concrete floor. The levelling from side to side and from front
to back has been checked multiple times and appears essentially perfect.

The size of the load and the distribution of the load does not seem to
make much difference, if any.

This has just recently begun, and the prior levelling seemed to keep
the machine from "walking" for the last 4 years, even with several
loads per week of use.

Are there vibration dampers or other parts which wear out? Are there
other things which can be adjusted "do it yourself"?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Do the botom of the rubber feet have rubber left or is metal touching
the floor. A guess, move the drum back , front, right, left ,maybe a
spring holding the basket in the center came loose or something, im
just guessing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff D. wrote:

When I was first married and money was scarce I had the same problem.
Cut a pair of gym shoes in half, toes in the front, heels in the
rear. Also gave it a novel appearance.

"ransley" wrote in message

... On Dec 18, 2:14 pm, "Smarty" wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for replying. The concrete floor is flat and level, and
the feet are still rubber-tipped with soft, pliable rubber. The machine
has only been installed for maybe 4 years at the most.

I have gotten the impression that the washing machine itself has
developed a fault. It maybe is a bad spring supporting the drum, a bad
bearing of some type, some missing or worn damper for controlling
vibration, or something of that type. The external feet, level, and
floor are all 100% fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

"Jeff D." wrote in message
When I was first married and money was scarce I had the same problem.
Cut a pair of gym shoes in half, toes in the front, heels in the
rear. Also gave it a novel appearance.

When I was first married, my new wife would sit on top, and we'd get
buck nekkid and overload it on purpose....................

Yea in the early years it's kitchen sex, laundry sex, dining room sex,
etc. In later years it's hall sex. That's were the couple stand at
opposite ends of the hall yelling F.Y to each other.

If that don't work, the front two feet should be automatic. Tilt it
back and lift the front 6 ". When it comes back down, it should be
self leveled.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try scripture study and having family home evenings.

Incidentally, you don't yell that kind of thing "to" each
other, you yell "at" each other.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Yea in the early years it's kitchen sex, laundry sex, dining
room sex,
etc. In later years it's hall sex. That's were the couple
stand at
opposite ends of the hall yelling F.Y to each other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hgjc7q
:

Try scripture study and having family home evenings.

Incidentally, you don't yell that kind of thing "to" each
other, you yell "at" each other.

Must be a "take everything serious" day over there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:14:19 +0000 (UTC), "Smarty"
wrote:

I have a 4 year old Maytag washer which has recently begun "walking"
around during the spin cycle. It moves several feet from its original
position.

The washer is carefully levelled and the feet are making solid contact
with the concrete floor. The levelling from side to side and from front
to back has been checked multiple times and appears essentially perfect.

The size of the load and the distribution of the load does not seem to
make much difference, if any.

This has just recently begun, and the prior levelling seemed to keep
the machine from "walking" for the last 4 years, even with several
loads per week of use.

Are there vibration dampers or other parts which wear out? Are there
other things which can be adjusted "do it yourself"?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Might try smaller loads or fix the feet to a slab of concrete.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:16:58 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hgjc7q
:

Try scripture study and having family home evenings.

Incidentally, you don't yell that kind of thing "to" each
other, you yell "at" each other.

Must be a "take everything serious" day over there.

He's mad the United States Patent and Trademark Office won't allow him
and his ilk to register "Mormon" as a trademark.

"Hey, it's in the scriptures, the revised 2009 ones too!", say's the
Latter Day Lawyer.

And what's with these "Scientologist's", copy-writing all their "holy"
texts?

Me-think these are businesses, not churches. Why do "churches" of any
sort get to be tax-exempt?

Why does God need money?

Me-think relegion has ruined people's perception of "God", and has
caused nothing but violence and strife here on Earth. It always has.

I don't need your church to have a relationship with God. Do I?

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have serious days every 27.0754 days, depending on the
phase of the moon, and if Jupiter is in the south east
quadrant.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in news:hgjc7q
:

Try scripture study and having family home evenings.

Incidentally, you don't yell that kind of thing "to" each
other, you yell "at" each other.

Must be a "take everything serious" day over there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the washing machine still there, at the end of the
"steal" cycle?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

Usually I go over to Lowes and get a couple Mexicans to hold
it in place.

Bob Morein
(215) 646-4894

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:12:08 +1000, Soundhaspriority
wrote:

Are there vibration dampers or other parts which wear out? Are there
other things which can be adjusted "do it yourself"?

OP! Check for bent feet on the machine. They can walk on a crooked
leg, easily.

Usually I go over to Lowes and get a couple Mexicans to hold it in place.

http://www.russiablog.org/DontFeedtheTrolls.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Try scripture study and having family home evenings.

Compared with sex, that sounds REALLY boring.

Incidentally, you don't yell that kind of thing "to" each
other, you yell "at" each other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hgjrmj
:

We have serious days every 27.0754 days, depending on the
phase of the moon, and if Jupiter is in the south east
quadrant.

Oh I see. Translated, that means it's your time of the month.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

Steve B wrote:
"G. Morgan" wrote

I don't need your church to have a relationship with God. Do I?

You don't need MY church, HIS church, THEIR church, or any church to have a
relationship with God, my friend.

That is the simple beauty of the whole thing.

Steve

In fact, churches have generally proven detrimental to such relationships.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only the married ones. And then only with the spouse.

The sad reality, is that Mormons have plenty of sexual sins,
teen pregnancy, and so on. I hope it's less common than in
the rest of the population. But, I'm not really sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message
"cjt" wrote in message
lid...

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Try scripture study and having family home evenings.

Compared with sex, that sounds REALLY boring.

Aren't most of the Mormons home HAVING family sex evenings?

Bob Morein
(215) 646-4894

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, some do, I'm sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"cjt" wrote in message

In fact, churches have generally proven detrimental to such
relationships.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Apologies to the person who asked about the washing machine.
This has drifted. A lot.

The goal with church, is that people distil together their
succes, and help each other in the walk towards God. Like
washing machine posts on Usenet, sometimes churches wander.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

You don't need MY church, HIS church, THEIR church, or any
church to have a
relationship with God, my friend.

That is the simple beauty of the whole thing.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:16:58 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in

:

Try scripture study and having family home evenings.

Incidentally, you don't yell that kind of thing "to" each
other, you yell "at" each other.

Must be a "take everything serious" day over there.

He's mad the United States Patent and Trademark Office won't allow him
and his ilk to register "Mormon" as a trademark.

"Hey, it's in the scriptures, the revised 2009 ones too!", say's the
Latter Day Lawyer.

And what's with these "Scientologist's", copy-writing all their "holy"
texts?

Me-think these are businesses, not churches. Why do "churches" of any
sort get to be tax-exempt?

Why does God need money?

Me-think relegion has ruined people's perception of "God", and has
caused nothing but violence and strife here on Earth. It always has.

I don't need your church to have a relationship with God. Do I?

As I submitted the original post on this thread asking for help
regarding my washing machine, I would like to thank those of you who
provided helpful replies.

To Stormin Mormon, who takes a useful forum and transforms it into his
own personal platform for spewing religious material, I can only say
that hijacking these forum threads with your own personal agenda is a
selfish, very inconsiderate act. Your posts are a disgrace to whatever
religion you claim to represent.

The washing machine in question needed a replacement spring to restore
balance to the tub suspension. The suggestion was thankfully provided
on another forum where the inquiry was not re-directed by nonsense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glad you got your washing machine fixed.

I'm saddened to hear that you're offended by my mention of
relgion. I presume you're equally offended by others who
mention religion.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smarty"

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hglb0v
:

Only the married ones. And then only with the spouse.

The sad reality, is that Mormons have plenty of sexual sins,
teen pregnancy, and so on. I hope it's less common than in
the rest of the population. But, I'm not really sure.

It was mentioned in another thread that we should discuss prophylactics, or
the warnings on the packages. I'll add to that the need for public support
for all birth control techniques, including abortion, as the need of a
person might suggest.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:

To Stormin Mormon, who takes a useful forum and transforms it into his
own personal platform for spewing religious material, I can only say
that hijacking these forum threads with your own personal agenda is a
selfish, very inconsiderate act. Your posts are a disgrace to whatever
religion you claim to represent.

Stormin Mormon had been hanging around here for years. I've seen him reply
to threads asking a religous question, but never has he hijacked a thread
for his purposes. Your resposne servers your purpose, just as you accused
SM of doing.

The washing machine in question needed a replacement spring to restore
balance to the tub suspension. The suggestion was thankfully provided
on another forum where the inquiry was not re-directed by nonsense.

Perhaps you should go there in the future with your questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, Ed. I thought I remembered making some replies, but
sure hope I havn't hijacked any threads. Of course, many
will say that my screen name and signature box do that
(hijacking) for me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon had been hanging around here for years. I've
seen him reply
to threads asking a religous question, but never has he
hijacked a thread
for his purposes. Your resposne servers your purpose, just
as you accused
SM of doing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Thanks, Ed. I thought I remembered making some replies, but
sure hope I havn't hijacked any threads. Of course, many
will say that my screen name and signature box do that
(hijacking) for me.

You hijack *every* thread by top-posting, Chris. And that "manual"
quoting style you use when you interleave your responses, is god-awful
(pardon the expression.) Why not have a friend come over and show you
how to use your newsreader?

As far as god goes, injecting him into an occasional thread is less
annoying to me than the rabid right-wingers who can twist any thread
whatsoever into a platform for spewing their venomous ignorance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

Smarty wrote:

To Stormin Mormon, who takes a useful forum and transforms it into
his own personal platform for spewing religious material, I can only
say that hijacking these forum threads with your own personal agenda
is a selfish, very inconsiderate act. Your posts are a disgrace to
whatever religion you claim to represent.

Stormin Mormon had been hanging around here for years. I've seen him
reply to threads asking a religous question, but never has he hijacked
a thread for his purposes. Your resposne servers your purpose, just
as you accused SM of doing.

Is it SM or S&M ???

just curious...

The washing machine in question needed a replacement spring to
restore balance to the tub suspension. The suggestion was thankfully
provided on another forum where the inquiry was not re-directed by
nonsense.

Perhaps you should go there in the future with your questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hglllr
:

Thanks, Ed. I thought I remembered making some replies, but
sure hope I havn't hijacked any threads. Of course, many
will say that my screen name and signature box do that
(hijacking) for me.

Nahhhh, member in good standing still running strong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
G. Morgan wrote:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:16:58 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in

:

[...]

Really? You might want to look at the dictionary on your way to another
newsgroup.

The washing machine in question needed a replacement spring to restore
balance to the tub suspension. The suggestion was thankfully provided
on another forum where the inquiry was not re-directed by nonsense.

It is a rare thread on ahr that doesn't wander from the original topic
if it goes on long enough. There are several old-timers on the ng, well
informed and helpful but most of whom spout off now and then. We take
turns at being offensive on some issue ) Stormin's suggestion was a
long way from being "disgraceful". We get most emotional about
top/bottom posting....certain damnation! )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vibration is a common problem on newer Maytags like yours. You can
try replacing the 6 suspension springs (they come as a kit), or the
white plastic snubber. If the transmission is leaking oil, then you
would need to replace that too. Check your warranty; the trans may be
covered up to 5 years, and if it needs to be replaced, the part itself
would be free. All of these repairs require special tools. Even
installing the springs would be difficult without the spring tool.

Your washer is one of the last designs before Maytag was bought by
Whirlpool. It is no longer produced, but parts are available. Don't
confuse it with the newest Maytag machines, which are rebranded
Whirlpool designs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AE Todd wrote:

Vibration is a common problem on newer Maytags like yours. You can
try replacing the 6 suspension springs (they come as a kit), or the
white plastic snubber. If the transmission is leaking oil, then you
would need to replace that too. Check your warranty; the trans may be
covered up to 5 years, and if it needs to be replaced, the part itself
would be free. All of these repairs require special tools. Even
installing the springs would be difficult without the spring tool.

Your washer is one of the last designs before Maytag was bought by
Whirlpool. It is no longer produced, but parts are available. Don't
confuse it with the newest Maytag machines, which are rebranded
Whirlpool designs.

Thanks very much for your helpful and informative reply. Replacing the
springs was, indeed, a bit of a challenge without the additional
leverage / mechanical advantage provided by the special spring removal
/ installation tool. Thankfully I was offered good advice on that
subject before starting the job.

As regards Stormin' Mormon, it takes only a few minutes of searching
and sorting the posts to see how much of his content is actually
responsive to user inquiries.

It is my basic complaint that the FIRST person who deliberately chooses
to reply entirely off-topic, attempting to be humorous or state their
political and religious views most often has the impact of steering the
discussion entirely away from the original question.

If someone asks: "Why do I need a GFCI on my sump pump" and Mormon
answers "because it is God's will that all pumps have GFCIs", the
conversation will be strictly downhill from that point on.

I would ask that a post be allowed at least a day or two until this
type of stunt take place. People including me are coming here for help,
and this type of antic really serves no useful benefit. It's a wise guy
trying to show off. Nothing else.

For whatever it is worth, I am a devout religious believer and
practitioner, and also hold strong political beliefs including those on
many topics including guns, abortion, and other areas which are highly
controversial.

I just don't think they belong on a home repair newsgroup, particularly
when they deliberately subvert the purpose of the forum. There are
other forums which are entirely appropriate.

Unlike spam, these types of messages are impossible to filter, defeat
the purpose of the forum, and provide no more than a stage where
pathetic egos get a chance to dominate the reasonable requests of other
people.

It all comes down to respect and fairness for others, two concepts that
a truly religious person should have no problem comprehending and
observing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, yah, those bottom posters are going straight down.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

It is a rare thread on ahr that doesn't wander from the
original topic
if it goes on long enough. There are several old-timers on
the ng, well
informed and helpful but most of whom spout off now and
then. We take
turns at being offensive on some issue ) Stormin's
suggestion was a
long way from being "disgraceful". We get most emotional
about
top/bottom posting....certain damnation! )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 22:00:03 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Oh, yah, those bottom posters are going straight down.

You could join us, just by changing a setting in your Microsoft
Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843.

If the default is "top post" - just change it for bottom posting.

Why insist on the sig line at the top? Some people in Ethiopia walk
for days to get to a computer. By then all they see is missing parts
of the thread.

The threads are snipped off by the servers, depending on how the
operate and run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is a rare thread on ahr that doesn't wander from the
original topic
if it goes on long enough. There are several old-timers on
the ng, well
informed and helpful but most of whom spout off now and
then. We take
turns at being offensive on some issue ) Stormin's
suggestion was a
long way from being "disgraceful". We get most emotional
about
top/bottom posting....certain damnation! )

"Goes on long enough".....??? My original question was posted less than
one day with very few replies when Chris / Stormin' started his
bull****. If you are trying to say that this "wandered from the
original topic", I can only reply that it was, like many of his posts,
a totally unrelated, wise-guy comment, not at all timed when the thread
had "gone on long enough".

And true to the form of a weasel, he never apologies, never replies
directly to a legitimate complaint, but sits back in a smug way
preparing his next verbal turd.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Was: Washing Machine "walks" several feet; Now: The moralityof wandering off-topic on newsgroups

Smarty wrote:
[...]

Smarty, are you the same jerk who said this, just yesterday: "For
whatever it is worth, I am a devout religious believer and
practitioner, and also hold strong political beliefs including those on
many topics including guns, abortion, and other areas which are highly
controversial."?
Posted to alt.home.repair

It is a rare thread on ahr that doesn't wander from the
original topic
if it goes on long enough. There are several old-timers on
the ng, well
informed and helpful but most of whom spout off now and
then. We take
turns at being offensive on some issue ) Stormin's
suggestion was a
long way from being "disgraceful". We get most emotional
about
top/bottom posting....certain damnation! )

I personally get offended by ootsie cutesie replies that have nothing to do
with the subject, are top posted followed by religious propaganda, and then
include hundreds of lines of dialogue.

But that's me.

"Thread drift" happens. And it usually happens for two reasons. One, the
question has been answered six times, and two, this is the same as a
conversation, and not a structured debate.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sad to hear that you have such a low opinion of me. I guess,
not much I can do about it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus