Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Washing Machine "walks" several feet

AE Todd wrote:

Vibration is a common problem on newer Maytags like yours. You can
try replacing the 6 suspension springs (they come as a kit), or the
white plastic snubber. If the transmission is leaking oil, then you
would need to replace that too. Check your warranty; the trans may be
covered up to 5 years, and if it needs to be replaced, the part itself
would be free. All of these repairs require special tools. Even
installing the springs would be difficult without the spring tool.

Your washer is one of the last designs before Maytag was bought by
Whirlpool. It is no longer produced, but parts are available. Don't
confuse it with the newest Maytag machines, which are rebranded
Whirlpool designs.

Thanks very much for your helpful and informative reply. Replacing the
springs was, indeed, a bit of a challenge without the additional
leverage / mechanical advantage provided by the special spring removal
/ installation tool. Thankfully I was offered good advice on that
subject before starting the job.

As regards Stormin' Mormon, it takes only a few minutes of searching
and sorting the posts to see how much of his content is actually
responsive to user inquiries.

It is my basic complaint that the FIRST person who deliberately chooses
to reply entirely off-topic, attempting to be humorous or state their
political and religious views most often has the impact of steering the
discussion entirely away from the original question.

If someone asks: "Why do I need a GFCI on my sump pump" and Mormon
answers "because it is God's will that all pumps have GFCIs", the
conversation will be strictly downhill from that point on.

I would ask that a post be allowed at least a day or two until this
type of stunt take place. People including me are coming here for help,
and this type of antic really serves no useful benefit. It's a wise guy
trying to show off. Nothing else.

For whatever it is worth, I am a devout religious believer and
practitioner, and also hold strong political beliefs including those on
many topics including guns, abortion, and other areas which are highly
controversial.

I just don't think they belong on a home repair newsgroup, particularly
when they deliberately subvert the purpose of the forum. There are
other forums which are entirely appropriate.

Unlike spam, these types of messages are impossible to filter, defeat
the purpose of the forum, and provide no more than a stage where
pathetic egos get a chance to dominate the reasonable requests of other
people.

It all comes down to respect and fairness for others, two concepts that
a truly religious person should have no problem comprehending and
observing.