Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Most heat resistant counter top?

I like white Corian counters to work on. Corian doesn't win the heat
resistance award. The cabinet box that will be alongside the range is
12-1/4" wide. I could give that section a stone countertop, and somehow
have it meet nicely with the Corian. That box could have a lower height to
match the surface with the 1/2" thick Corian.

It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 May 2013 18:39:52 -0500, "Pete C." wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Stainless steel?

Could be. You wouldn't see the wood underneath being scorched. As long as
it doesn't get odoriferous when the wood heats up. Too bad I can't put a
layer of asbestos under the stainless. Or is there something else that goes
in between?

Having Corian and stainless steel join together...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Stainless steel?

Maybe the answer is tile? Porcelain or ceramic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Stainless steel?

Could be. You wouldn't see the wood underneath being scorched. As long as
it doesn't get odoriferous when the wood heats up. Too bad I can't put a
layer of asbestos under the stainless. Or is there something else that goes
in between?

Stainless usually doesn't have a backer. You could back it with regular
cement board if you wanted.

Having Corian and stainless steel join together...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Stainless steel?

Maybe the answer is tile? Porcelain or ceramic?

Grout lines - bad, a pain to clean and seal, tile isn't generally flat
so stuff doesn't always sit on them well, and it's also very much out of
style for kitchen counters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Stainless steel?

Maybe the answer is tile? Porcelain or ceramic?

Trivet? Just lay a hunk of tile or stone on top of the Corian, if you
like it better than all stone. SWMBO would never have anything other
than granite, or perhaps quartz, again. Corian for the bathroom,
maybe, but not the kitchen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 May 2013 19:11:14 -0500, "Pete C." wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Maybe the answer is tile? Porcelain or ceramic?

Grout lines - bad, a pain to clean and seal, tile isn't generally flat
so stuff doesn't always sit on them well, and it's also very much out of
style for kitchen counters.

On this page the unglazed porcelain tile comes in 14" squares:
http://www.crossvilleinc.com/contrac...n_stone/empire

That countertop would be 28" x 12-1/4", so only a single grout line. And
only one place for unevenness.

I don't care what is in style. If I did, I wouldn't be installing Designer
White Corian.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Silestone (engineered quartz) is very heat-resistant.
Senior Member

Stainless steel is probably the most practical counter top. Virtually all commercial kitchens use stainless steel food preparation surfaces.

Granite is an igneous rock, and as such is extremely heat resistant.

Everyone wants a ceramic tile counter top until they have one. The problem is that dirt collects in the grout lines, and so they're harder to keep clean than any counter top that offers a continuous smooth flat surface.

Probably the most durable and attractive counter top would be granite.

Probably the most practical counter top would be stainless steel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 May 2013 19:23:59 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

I like white Corian counters to work on. Corian doesn't win the heat
resistance award. The cabinet box that will be alongside the range is
12-1/4" wide. I could give that section a stone countertop, and somehow
have it meet nicely with the Corian. That box could have a lower height to
match the surface with the 1/2" thick Corian.

It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Diamond. Make the counter out of diamond.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2013 03:15:40 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Stainless steel is probably the most practical counter top. Virtually
all commercial kitchens use stainless steel food preparation surfaces.

Granite is an igneous rock, and as such is extremely heat resistant.

Everyone wants a ceramic tile counter top until they have one. The
problem is that dirt collects in the grout lines, and so they're harder
to keep clean than any counter top that offers a continuous smooth flat
surface.

Probably the most durable and attractive counter top would be granite.

Probably the most practical counter top would be stainless steel.

I'd want to see a stainless counter that was 10 years old. For
deocratoin and surfaces that don't get used, it's great, but wouldn't
it get beat up. in use. The bottom of my sink doesn't look so good,
afaicr.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Stainless steel?

Could be. You wouldn't see the wood underneath being scorched. As long as
it doesn't get odoriferous when the wood heats up. Too bad I can't put a
layer of asbestos under the stainless. Or is there something else that goes
in between?

Having Corian and stainless steel join together...

Comercial stainless steel counter tops do not have anything
underneath them except air.. And they are EXTREMELY heat resistant..

If you need to put it over wood, put some ceramic heat blanket like
used on aircraft firewalls - One brand is Fiberfax.- between the wood
and the stainless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Comercial stainless steel counter tops do not have anything
underneath them except air.. And they are EXTREMELY heat resistant..

If you need to put it over wood, put some ceramic heat blanket like
used on aircraft firewalls - One brand is Fiberfax.- between the wood
and the stainless.

Make that Fiberfrax.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stainless steel is probably the most practical counter top. Virtually
all commercial kitchens use stainless steel food preparation surfaces.

Granite is an igneous rock, and as such is extremely heat resistant.

Everyone wants a ceramic tile counter top until they have one. The
problem is that dirt collects in the grout lines, and so they're harder
to keep clean than any counter top that offers a continuous smooth flat
surface.

Probably the most durable and attractive counter top would be granite.

Probably the most practical counter top would be stainless steel.

I'd want to see a stainless counter that was 10 years old. For
deocratoin and surfaces that don't get used, it's great, but wouldn't
it get beat up. in use. The bottom of my sink doesn't look so good,
afaicr.

Virtually every commercial kitchen has stainless steel counter tops.
Not necessarilly pretty, but very durable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stainless steel is probably the most practical counter top. Virtually
all commercial kitchens use stainless steel food preparation surfaces.

Granite is an igneous rock, and as such is extremely heat resistant.

Everyone wants a ceramic tile counter top until they have one. The
problem is that dirt collects in the grout lines, and so they're harder
to keep clean than any counter top that offers a continuous smooth flat
surface.

Probably the most durable and attractive counter top would be granite.

Probably the most practical counter top would be stainless steel.

Granite, or other similar stone, is best for a kitchen. The high
thermal mass makes them great for baking and things like candy.
Stainless, not so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stainless steel is probably the most practical counter top. Virtually
all commercial kitchens use stainless steel food preparation surfaces.

Granite is an igneous rock, and as such is extremely heat resistant.

Everyone wants a ceramic tile counter top until they have one. The
problem is that dirt collects in the grout lines, and so they're harder
to keep clean than any counter top that offers a continuous smooth flat
surface.

Probably the most durable and attractive counter top would be granite.

Probably the most practical counter top would be stainless steel.

I'd want to see a stainless counter that was 10 years old. For
deocratoin and surfaces that don't get used, it's great, but wouldn't
it get beat up. in use. The bottom of my sink doesn't look so good,
afaicr.

There are stainless cleaners that will keep a stainless sink looking
new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I like white Corian counters to work on. Corian doesn't win the heat
resistance award. The cabinet box that will be alongside the range is
12-1/4" wide. I could give that section a stone countertop, and somehow
have it meet nicely with the Corian. That box could have a lower height to
match the surface with the 1/2" thick Corian.

It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Diamond. Make the counter out of diamond.

Unfortunately, the heat would be transferred to the substrate. Diamond is
many times better conductor than copper.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Stainless steel?

Could be. You wouldn't see the wood underneath being scorched. As long as
it doesn't get odoriferous when the wood heats up. Too bad I can't put a
layer of asbestos under the stainless. Or is there something else that goes
in between?

Having Corian and stainless steel join together...

Don... Air space between the steel and the cabinet. Have the steel folded
around the 4 sides with a flange folded in. Screw in place by going up from
inside the cabinet and into the flanges..WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Don Wiss wrote:
I like white Corian counters to work on. Corian doesn't win the heat
resistance award. The cabinet box that will be alongside the range is
12-1/4" wide. I could give that section a stone countertop, and somehow
have it meet nicely with the Corian. That box could have a lower height to
match the surface with the 1/2" thick Corian.

It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

With just the one requirement the answer is obvious...
Asbestos

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I like white Corian counters to work on. Corian doesn't win the heat
resistance award. The cabinet box that will be alongside the range is
12-1/4" wide. I could give that section a stone countertop, and somehow
have it meet nicely with the Corian. That box could have a lower height to
match the surface with the 1/2" thick Corian.

It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Diamond. *Make the counter out of diamond.

LOL. I think you're thinking what I'm thinking. What
difference does it make which material is the "most"
heat resistant? All you need is a material that is
heat resistant enough so that you can put a typical
hot pot on it. Beyond that, who cares? Are you
going to do welding on it? And granite
is certainly heat resistant enough for counter tops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've seen many decades old stainless commercial kitchen counters and
they all look "pretty" to me. Perhaps for a brief period as the factory
graining of the SS gives way to the random graining caused by actual use
it might look not so good, but it looks nice and even after that. Go
over the SS with a RO sander before installation to get the random
pattern established and eliminate that step.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
I'd want to see a stainless counter that was 10 years old. For
deocratoin and surfaces that don't get used, it's great, but wouldn't
it get beat up. in use. The bottom of my sink doesn't look so good,
afaicr.
The bottom of a kitchen sink and especially the drain area will often be an orange, beige or brownish colour that won't clean off. That isn't a stain. It's bacteria and fungii that can hold onto the surface of the steel surprisingly tenaciously and are highly resistant to removal by scrubbing or normal cleaning. I find those "stains" on my kitchen sinks whenever tenants vacate, and I remove it by cleaning the sink with undiluted bleach using a nylon bristle brush. The bleach kills the bacterial and/or fungi and their remains get rinsed away when I rinse off the bleach. Just paint the bleach on and give it time to work. You'll see that the sink cleans up really nicely. I do that in all of my apartments when they're vacant so as to have the apartment looking it's best for prospective tenants when they view it. And, of course, you can use bleach on a stainless steel counter top to clean and sterilize it just like you can a kitchen sink.

Keep in mind that the stainless steel used to make a counter top will typically be thicker, stronger and harder than the steel used to make a kitchen sink. That's because the steel used to make a counter top only has to be bent into a 90 degree angle at it's corners without cracking. A kitchen sink requires the stainless steel be stamped into a pretty radical shape without breaking, being torn to shreads or even forming significant cracks at it's bottom corners that could potentially leak water. So, you have to use a much softer stainless steel when stamping a kitchen sink than you do when fabricating a counter top. That means that a stainless steel counter top is gonna be more resistant to dents and scratches than a kitchen sink, and will therefore stay looking new for longer and will be slower to deteriorate with normal wear and tear than a sink.

Most stainless kitchen sinks get thrown out because the kitchen is being renovated, and the homeowner wants a new sink along with new faucet, countertop, cabinets and appliances, not because the sink is worn out and in need of replacement. Your local Habitat ReStore is full of 50 plus year old stainless steel kitchen sinks that were donated because their owners knew they were still perfectly functional, and believed that someone could still use them.

So, no. I don't expect a stainless steel counter top would look "all beaten up" after 10 years of use. If they did, commercial kitchens that need to remain operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for years on end (like those on your US Navy war ships) wouldn't use them.

Is there anyone in here that served as a cook in the Canadian or US navies that can confirm that all the food preparation was done on stainless steel counter tops?

Last edited by nestork : May 2nd 13 at 07:03 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd want to see a stainless counter that was 10 years old

Here is mine

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/counter%20top.jpg

If I was willing to do more than wipe the back splash with a sponge,
it would be better looking. This is just what it was 10 minutes ago
when I took the picture without doing anything

Welll, it looks pretty good. It certainly doesn't look ugly (although
its the bottom of the sink that gets the hitting and scraping), but to
steel I have. For a counter, I can't see why granite isn't better.
It's surface doesn't show wipe marks unless the light is just right.

Can one set a hot pot, straight from the oven or stove, on granite
without a hotpad or trivet? I thought one could, because as someone
sort of pointed out, it was a lot hotter than that when igneous rock
was made. **Although I'd probably be afraid to, or afraid I'd get in
the habit of putting hot stuff straight on the counter and do it where
someone only had formica.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I like white Corian counters to work on. Corian doesn't win the heat
resistance award. The cabinet box that will be alongside the range is
12-1/4" wide. I could give that section a stone countertop, and somehow
have it meet nicely with the Corian. That box could have a lower height to
match the surface with the 1/2" thick Corian.

It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Diamond. Make the counter out of diamond.

Unfortunately, the heat would be transferred to the substrate. Diamond is
many times better conductor than copper.

It would also be distributed over a quite wide area, very quickly. It
would be hard to burn the substrate with copper or stainless cladding
(not going to go there with carbon).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2013 18:29:50 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Is there anyone in here that served as a cook in the Canadian or US
navies that can confirm that all the food preparation was done on
stainless steel counter tops?

Wasn't a cook, but we found out a way to jimmy open the galley flap
doors, and get some of the good food from the galley reefer. The
stuff the commissarymen kept for themselves. We'd do a midwatch raid
now and then. Good cheese, hard salami, etc.
Even the flap doors were SS, and of course the prep area was all SS.
Same in my wife's corporate kitchen, where she's the chef.
You can look up sanitary/maintaince reasons for SS. I don't care for
the "look" of SS in a home kitchen, or dark colored counters.
But we have a SS double sink, which is old and has no scratches I've
noticed. Old formica countertops, which have no burn marks.
Think my wife puts hot pots on a dishtowel or potholder, but I haven't
paid attention. I don't think heat resistance should be an issue with
just about any kitchen countertop material. You adjust naturally to
where to put hot stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 May 2013 13:21:39 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Thu, 02 May 2013 12:46:42 -0400, wrote:
On Wed, 01 May 2013 23:53:36 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
On Wed, 01 May 2013 23:17:20 -0400,
wrote:

Granite, or other similar stone, is best for a kitchen. The high
thermal mass makes them great for baking and things like candy.
Stainless, not so much.

There is no one best for the kitchen. Granite has plenty of negatives.

Other than its original cost, which isn't so much any more, I've never
found any.

You have your blinders on and aren't looking very hard. A few:

(1) You have to reseal it periodically. Apart from being cumbersome, the
regular sealing involves expenditure as well.

Myth

(2) It can chip along the front edge, especially in front of the
dishwasher. It can crack elsewhere.

I have a shop for pounding nails. I generally hit the nail head and
not the bench, too.

(3) If you pick a dark mottled color you can't see where the dirt is.

In the last house it was white with "speckles". No issues at all. You
do have to wash it once in a while. Our current house is a light
brown. No problem. Dark is worse.

(4) Lack of resiliency. Drop something glass and it is going to break.

Nonsense. You don't think glass going to break if you drop it on
Corian or even Formica? Good grief!

(5) Noisy when dropping metal utensils onto it.

You don't think stainless is going to be noisy? It's not bad at all.

(6) It has seams.

If installed by a knuckle-dragger, perhaps.

IOW, you're wrong.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Smith View Post
... and of course the prep area was all SS.
See; someone who served in the navy is saying all the food preparation surfaces in the ship's kitchen were all stainless steel.

And your US Navy wastes a lot of money, but not on replacing kitchen counter tops that are still functional.

I'm not saying you won't get tired of looking at a stainless steel counter top.

I'm just saying you'll get tired of looking at the same stainless steel counter top LONG BEFORE it ever NEEDS to be replaced.

A commercial grade stainless steel kitchen counter top will outlast grandma.

Last edited by nestork : May 2nd 13 at 09:28 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 May 2013 07:55:41 -0500, "Pete C."

wrote:

[...]

About on a par with Stainless for heat resistance is Pyrex glass. Not
quite as durable though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I like white Corian counters to work on. Corian doesn't win the heat
resistance award. The cabinet box that will be alongside the range is
12-1/4" wide. I could give that section a stone countertop, and somehow
have it meet nicely with the Corian. That box could have a lower height to
match the surface with the 1/2" thick Corian.

It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Diamond. Make the counter out of diamond.

Unfortunately, the heat would be transferred to the substrate. Diamond is
many times better conductor than copper.

In my next kitchen, the substrate will be stainless steel, or ground
up granite, or diamond dust.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 1:13*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 02 May 2013 16:35:46 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Thu, 02 May 2013 16:15:01 -0400, wrote:

(5) Noisy when dropping metal utensils onto it.

You don't think stainless is going to be noisy? *It's not bad at all.

I would never install stainless.

(6) It has seams.

If installed by a knuckle-dragger, perhaps.

Huh? How is an installer going to make a seam disappear.

Don't have one. *Match it. *Put it in a place where it doesn't show.
Someone who has the skills to do the job right will do the job right.
Pass on everyone else.

Obviously I am not going to convince you. But I have worked on an all white
Corian counter. And I have granite now (with chips along the edge). I do
all the kitchen work myself, so I am a user and not one that just looks at
it. I'll take Corain over granite any day.

Oh, the irony! *Corian is fine for a bathroom where it's going to get
pampered. *A kitchen is for work. *Corian just can't handle it.

stainless can be welded and the welded joints ground and polished
out...

but personally i wouldnt want a all stainless countertop
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You scratch everything with diamond dust. I made some epoxied pieces with
diamond dust added. You can use it as a cutting tool.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

While that's certainly true, it has nothing to do with what either of
us were talking about.

but personally i wouldnt want a all stainless countertop

In the right home, maybe. I can envision it in an urban loft. I
can't imagine myself living in such a place anymore, but the look does
have its place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So the stuff they told us in junior high is really true!! That's good
to know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder how a poured concrete countertop would handle high heat?

Countertops made of recycled glass would likely be heat resistant

Heat resistant plywood Aaron Fude Home Repair 10 February 23rd 13 11:24 PM
Heat resistant silicone Bruce Hall UK diy 7 August 23rd 08 01:27 PM
Heat resistant filler cj UK diy 2 September 29th 07 06:29 PM
heat resistant board? Jim Walsh UK diy 4 November 8th 05 05:35 PM
heat resistant board Dave UK diy 5 July 7th 03 02:53 PM