Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Most heat resistant counter top?

On Wed, 01 May 2013 20:00:12 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Wed, 01 May 2013 18:39:52 -0500, "Pete C." wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Stainless steel?

Could be. You wouldn't see the wood underneath being scorched. As long as
it doesn't get odoriferous when the wood heats up. Too bad I can't put a
layer of asbestos under the stainless. Or is there something else that goes
in between?

Having Corian and stainless steel join together...

Comercial stainless steel counter tops do not have anything
underneath them except air.. And they are EXTREMELY heat resistant..

If you need to put it over wood, put some ceramic heat blanket like
used on aircraft firewalls - One brand is Fiberfax.- between the wood
and the stainless.