Jim Walsh

Default heat resistant board?

I'm going to install a gas fire in the next couple of weeks. The
existing fireplace is quite large and I need to fit some kind of board
over it, leaving a cavity just large enough to mount the fire. What is
the best material to use for this and who sells it?

Years ago whilst assisting my dad in doing a similar job, we used a
rigid, mineral (non asbestos) composite board that was resistant to high
temperatures. I can't recall where this came from. Any pointers?

Best regards, Jim

Andy Hall

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:40:23 GMT, "Bob Minchin"
wrote:

Jim Walsh wrote in message ...
I'm going to install a gas fire in the next couple of weeks. The
existing fireplace is quite large and I need to fit some kind of board
over it, leaving a cavity just large enough to mount the fire. What is
the best material to use for this and who sells it?

Years ago whilst assisting my dad in doing a similar job, we used a
rigid, mineral (non asbestos) composite board that was resistant to high
temperatures. I can't recall where this came from. Any pointers?

Best regards, Jim

Masterboard?

Bob

Knauf fire resistant board is another, and seems easier to obtain.

--

..andy

Rick

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:05:07 +0000, Jim Walsh
wrote:

I'm going to install a gas fire in the next couple of weeks. The
existing fireplace is quite large and I need to fit some kind of board
over it, leaving a cavity just large enough to mount the fire. What is
the best material to use for this and who sells it?

Years ago whilst assisting my dad in doing a similar job, we used a
rigid, mineral (non asbestos) composite board that was resistant to high
temperatures. I can't recall where this came from. Any pointers?

Best regards, Jim

Its a concrete board, from builders merchants. Comes in 8x4 sheets,
they will NOT cut it to size for you. Best best is to use a cheep
throw away handsaw (or jigsaw blade) to cut it.

Rick

Rick

wrote:

Jim Walsh wrote in message ...
I'm going to install a gas fire in the next couple of weeks. The
existing fireplace is quite large and I need to fit some kind of board
over it, leaving a cavity just large enough to mount the fire. What is
the best material to use for this and who sells it?

Years ago whilst assisting my dad in doing a similar job, we used a
rigid, mineral (non asbestos) composite board that was resistant to high
temperatures. I can't recall where this came from. Any pointers?

Best regards, Jim

Masterboard?

Bob

Knauf fire resistant board is another, and seems easier to obtain.

You sure you can put this board close to a heat source ? If its like
plasterboard, it will have a paper outside coating. Some of these
boards are designed to be heated once - when your hours burns down, to
give time for escape to be undertaken.

Rick