Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Most heat resistant counter top?

On Thu, 02 May 2013 07:55:41 -0500, "Pete C."

On Wed, 01 May 2013 22:31:23 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 2 May 2013 03:15:40 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Stainless steel is probably the most practical counter top. Virtually
all commercial kitchens use stainless steel food preparation surfaces.

Granite is an igneous rock, and as such is extremely heat resistant.

Everyone wants a ceramic tile counter top until they have one. The
problem is that dirt collects in the grout lines, and so they're harder
to keep clean than any counter top that offers a continuous smooth flat
surface.

Probably the most durable and attractive counter top would be granite.

Probably the most practical counter top would be stainless steel.

I'd want to see a stainless counter that was 10 years old. For
deocratoin and surfaces that don't get used, it's great, but wouldn't
it get beat up. in use. The bottom of my sink doesn't look so good,
afaicr.

Virtually every commercial kitchen has stainless steel counter tops.
Not necessarilly pretty, but very durable.

I've seen many decades old stainless commercial kitchen counters and
they all look "pretty" to me. Perhaps for a brief period as the factory
graining of the SS gives way to the random graining caused by actual use
it might look not so good, but it looks nice and even after that. Go
over the SS with a RO sander before installation to get the random
pattern established and eliminate that step.

About on a par with Stainless for heat resistance is Pyrex glass. Not
quite as durable though.