Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Most heat resistant counter top?

On Thu, 2 May 2013 03:25:19 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

micky wrote:
On Wed, 01 May 2013 19:23:59 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

I like white Corian counters to work on. Corian doesn't win the heat
resistance award. The cabinet box that will be alongside the range is
12-1/4" wide. I could give that section a stone countertop, and somehow
have it meet nicely with the Corian. That box could have a lower height to
match the surface with the 1/2" thick Corian.

It seems that granite is the most heat resistant. Or is there some rare
stone or other material known for its heat resistance? I would think that
the thicker the more resistant. Are there thicker countertop thickness
options?

Diamond. Make the counter out of diamond.

Unfortunately, the heat would be transferred to the substrate. Diamond is
many times better conductor than copper.

It would also be distributed over a quite wide area, very quickly. It
would be hard to burn the substrate with copper or stainless cladding
(not going to go there with carbon).