Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why Can't You Lay Refrigerator Down??

Is it true that laying a refrigerator down on it's side ruins it and/or
voids any warranty? I read something about how when you lay it on the
side, that oil and coolant get up into the coils. Other people say you
CAN lay it on the side, as long as you leave it unplugged for a few
hours after getting home and standing it up.

Also, I am not talking about a full size fridge. We are thinking of
getting one of those small "college dorm" type of refrigerators to put
in our basement to keep some extra water bottles, soda cans, beer cans,
etc. nice and cold, because in the Summer we go through alot of
beverages.

Our local "P.C. Richard" store has a nice "Avanti" 3.3. cubic foot for
sale right now for $124. That's pretty cheap considering that Wally-Mart
has the same size "Black and Decker" for $168, and Target has a smaller
3.1 cubic foot one for $139.

Anyway, on the box it specifically says "Do NOT lay refrigerator down on
it's side! KEEP UPRIGHT AT ALL TIMES!!". The problem is, we don't have a
truck, so laying it flat on the seat would be the only option of getting
it home in our small Chevy Cavalier!!!! Would laying it flat for a 20
minute drive home, really damage the fridge? It's to tall to stand it up
on the seat, so without spending extra money to rent a truck, or pay for
delivery, laying it down in the car is the only way to get it home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 9:02*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
[...]

I think you have the issue correct. Laying it on it's side may
result in the oil going places it shouldn't. I think with some
refrigerators if you then return it upright and wait a day,
it will be OK. Is that true for all of them? IDK. Whether it's
true for that particular one, who knows. I would suggest two

A - Call the manufacturer's help line and visit their website.

B - HD rents trucks for like $20 for 90 minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The risk is getting compressor lubricating oil in the piston. When it's
plugged in, the piston pump is uanble to compress liquid, and damges the
valves. Set upright for a while might help. There is no really good totally
specific answer. Yes, I've known of refrigerator compressors to be broken.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:02:34 -0400, (MICHELLE H.)
wrote:

Is it true that laying a refrigerator down on it's side ruins it and/or
voids any warranty?

You should be able to find the warranty before buying, but I wouldn't
be surprised. After all, even when it's sure to put the oil back
where it was, they have no way of making you let the fridge sit
upright for a day, and no way to stop you from lying and claiming you
did. OTOH, the only way they would claim you put it on its side is
if you put in a warranty claim and a) the symptoms were that of one
that was put on its side and not given time to recover (assuming it
could) or b) they took it back and examined it, and then they could be
sure.

And I'm sure they test every fridge before shipping it.

I read something about how when you lay it on the
side, that oil and coolant get up into the coils. Other people say you
CAN lay it on the side, as long as you leave it unplugged for a few
hours after getting home and standing it up.

I thought, even before this thread, that I had heard "a day". I
certainly wouldn't plug it in until at least a day after it was
upright.

Anyone you know have a convertible? I can carry just about anything
even in a compact convertible.

Can you tie it well right-side-up while it sits on the trunk or roof?
And then drive at 10 mph over all but the smoothest roads, and 20
where it is very smooth. And run your 4-way flashers the whole way.
You can tie ropes to the door and trunk hinges and will still be able
to close the doors.

Doing this, and with a double bed mattress on top of the trunk and
under the piano,, with a full-size convertible, I was able to move a
spinet piano from mid-Brooklyn to W. 85th St. in Manhattan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeh. but NYC traffic only moves a couple of miles per hour anywayg.

Senior Member

I expect that warning to never turn the fridge on it's side is just because it's small enough to fit on a large shelf or counter top, and so people might be thinking that they can have it operating on it's side. That warning is there just to keep the manufacturer out of court.

Still, I'd call the manufacturer's 1-800 customer service phone number on this one. Most likely they'll say it's OK provided you turn it upright for a few hours before plugging it in. (People often leave it for a day, but that's entirely unnecessary.) No appliance manufacturer in either the US or China would make a fridge that could be permanently damaged by merely laying the fridge down on it's side.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
[...]

How about C - if you have tools (this is home repair newsgroup after all)
remove either the front passenger seat or the back seat. The back seat is
the easiest to remove, often only two bolts hold them in place, but if you
have a 2 door car, you may need to remove the passenger seat and disconnect
the seat belt wiring (disconnect plugs) and any other encumbrances you meet
up with. This way your mini-fridge should fit when sitting on the floor, but
measure first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 1:15*pm, harry wrote:
On Apr 12, 2:02*pm, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

[...]

There are two reasons. One is the one you stated which is sometimes
fixed by leaving it up right for an hour or two on some designs. On
others the oil can get into the cylinder of the compressor and cause a
hydraulic lock.
There are lots of different sorts on compressor, *that's the problem

The other is that some compressors are spring mounted (for silent
running) and the compressor can fall off the springs.
Especially if it's on it's back/side and jolted about in transport.

The compressor is inside the metal lump low down at the back.

So best not to tip it over, it may or may not be OK, no-one can say
for sure.

get friend with larger vehicle to do hauling
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've moved many refrigerators by laying them down but only just long
enough to move them from one house to another, rarely for more then 30
to 40 minutes. I always make sure I lay them down with the compressor
on the "down" side when it's on it's side. I have never had a problem
and I typically plug them back in within an hour of delivery. I'm
sure that the warning is true if you were going to lay it down and
leave it on it's side for quite a while, like hours and hours or
longer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message

Our local "P.C. Richard" store has a nice "Avanti" 3.3. cubic foot for
sale right now for $124. . . .
Anyway, on the box it specifically says "Do NOT lay refrigerator down on
it's side! KEEP UPRIGHT AT ALL TIMES!!". The problem is, we don't have a
truck, so laying it flat on the seat would be the only option of getting
it home in our small Chevy Cavalier!!!!

What did the vendor say when you asked?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 12, 2013 9:02:34 AM UTC-4, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Is it true that laying a refrigerator down on it's side ruins it and/or
voids any warranty?

Yup, it's right there in black and white on the box...

I sincerely doubt you could fit one of those fridges in a Chevy Cavalier, even laying down! Judging from the topsoil thread your sense of space calibration is way off.

The helpless woman without a friend in the world routine is only going to get you so far in life. You need to advance to the helpless single woman with several male friends who own trucks and are tripping over themselves to lend a hand stage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 14:59:49 +0000, nestork
wrote:

I expect that warning to never turn the fridge on it's side is just
because it's small enough to fit on a large shelf or counter top, and so
people might be thinking that they can have it operating on it's side.
That warning is there just to keep the manufacturer out of court.

Still, I'd call the manufacturer's 1-800 customer service phone number
on this one. Most likely they'll say it's OK provided you turn it
upright for a few hours before plugging it in. (People often leave it
for a day, but that's entirely unnecessary.) No appliance manufacturer
in either the US or China would make a fridge that could be permanently
damaged by merely laying the fridge down on it's side.

What about what Stormin' said? It's not just that it was on its side,
but that that allowed oil to get into the compressor and then the
compressor was run with oil in it, oil that can't be compressed.

The time it would have to stand upright is the time it takes for the
oil to get back to the bottom,.....
Senior Member

Michelle:

Try phoning the company's 1-800 customer service phone number. I can't fit it in my head that any fridge could be permanently damaged by laying it on it's side. Almost certainly that warning is on the box to disuade people from buying the fridge who are planning to USE it in a position other than upright.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That assumes that the oil will in fact run back away from
where it doesn't belong. Depending on the design, that may not
happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 12, 2013 3:25:05 PM UTC-4, Don Phillipson wrote:
"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
Our local "P.C. Richard" store has a nice "Avanti" 3.3. cubic foot for
sale right now for $124. . . .

What did the vendor say when you asked?

Like some snot-nosed pimply-faced teenager is going to know anything about refrigerators?

Hell, even the store manager... He's probably got thousands of products in his store. Do you realistically believe he knows EVERYTHING about EVERY product in the store?
Posted to alt.home.repair

MICHELLE H. wrote:
Is it true that laying a refrigerator down on it's side ruins it
and/or voids any warranty?

It is true. Putting a fridge on its side may damage the appliance, void the
warranty, and cause you to lose your entire investment, including sales tax.

Why, oh why, would you question the manufacturer's admonition - printed in
large letters on the box and, no doubt, in the instructions and warranty
information - to not do so?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Single cylinder piston compressors can be like that. I can imagine oil
getting into the cylinder, and not wanting to drain out if it's open at the
top of the piston.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message

The time it would have to stand upright is the time it takes for the
oil to get back to the bottom,.....

That assumes that the oil will in fact run back away from
where it doesn't belong. Depending on the design, that may not
happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2013 9:02 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Is it true that laying a refrigerator down on it's side ruins it and/or
voids any warranty?

Go online and check the owners manual. The better appliance
manufacturers have detailed moving instructions. Some will advise you
to transport on the left side, some right side. It all depends on how
it's built.

If it's a cheap piece of Chinese crap with no info available, just stand
it back up for 24 hours before you plug it in. If it pukes you're not
out much anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2013 8:02 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

I've been watching this thread and I always recommend to anyone who must
lay a residential refrigerator on its side to determine where
the compressor is and make sure it is at the lowest point when you
lay the fridge on its side. To be safe you can let it sit upright for
24 hours but I've never seen one damaged from being run after being
laid on its side or run just right after being set upright. The oil will
be blown back to the compressor anyway and the thermal overload on the
compressor will click on and off until things stabilize. I think many of
them have rotary compressors now and those darn things are hard to
damage. I even saw a solid state dorm sized fridge one day a a retailer
and it didn't have a compressor. You can run one of those upside down if
you wished to, you may have a problem with condensate draining but
college students don't care about things like that. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 08:31:29 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I've been watching this thread and I always recommend to anyone who must
lay a residential refrigerator on its side to determine where
the compressor is and make sure it is at the lowest point when you
lay the fridge on its side.

I've heard this said before, but have never had to lay one on its side
or if it was really fact of a "miff".

Compressor on the right side lay it on the right side. Left side lay
it on the left side.

2 cents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You're right. That makes it all the worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've been watching this thread and I always recommend to anyone who must
lay a residential refrigerator on its side to determine where
the compressor is and make sure it is at the lowest point when you
lay the fridge on its side. To be safe you can let it sit upright for
24 hours but I've never seen one damaged from being run after being
laid on its side or run just right after being set upright. The oil will
be blown back to the compressor anyway and the thermal overload on the
compressor will click on and off until things stabilize. I think many of
them have rotary compressors now and those darn things are hard to
damage. I even saw a solid state dorm sized fridge one day a a retailer
and it didn't have a compressor. You can run one of those upside down if

I doubt very much this fridge is solid state or it would not have this
warning on the box. And the OP would likely have told us.

you wished to, you may have a problem with condensate draining but
college students don't care about things like that. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You did notice "dorm sized" when I wrote about the solid state fridge?
You pick those up and set them in your shopping cart then slide it into
the back of your minivan. ^_^

TDD

you wished to, you may have a problem with condensate draining but
college students don't care about things like that. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2013 9:02 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Is it true that laying a refrigerator down on it's side ruins it and/or
voids any warranty?

Is it a GE?

http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000318.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred" wrote in message
On 4/12/2013 9:02 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Is it true that laying a refrigerator down on it's side ruins it and/or
voids any warranty?

Is it a GE?

http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000318.htm

That's funny, when they delivered my new side by side refrigerator, I looked
in the semi box and ALL the refrigerators they had in the truck were on
their side. I asked the guy about it and he said, that's they way they get
them from the factory.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 8:00*pm, "Roanin" wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

On 4/12/2013 9:02 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Is it true that laying a refrigerator down on it's side ruins it and/or
voids any warranty?

Is it a GE?

http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000318.htm

That's funny, when they delivered my new side by side refrigerator, I looked
in the semi box and ALL the refrigerators they had in the truck were on
their side. I asked the guy about it and he said, that's they way they get
them from the factory.

They seem to be concerned about interior shelves moving around as well
as possible damage due to compressor oil sloshing around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Isn't the OP"s fridge also dorm sized? Yes. At any rate, I didn't
want to lose track of the OP's situation.

You pick those up and set them in your shopping cart then slide it into
the back of your minivan. ^_^

TDD

you wished to, you may have a problem with condensate draining but
college students don't care about things like that. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 16:49:51 -0400, Fred wrote:

On 4/12/2013 9:02 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Is it true that laying a refrigerator down on it's side ruins it and/or
voids any warranty?

Is it a GE?

http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000318.htm

VEry interesting. So with GE, there is a difference with monogram,
bottom-mount, compact, versus all the other models. And new compact
are okay and even used if you take care of drain water!!

So that leaves Monogram and bottom mount which are somehow different
from all the rest. And they must really be or they wouldn't go to
the trouble of saying so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Surely a friend has a pickup or SUV.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Using a wrench remove the bolts from the bottom of the compressor , because most of the connections are copper they are bendable. Very slowly turn the compressor to the back of the fridge thus causing the fluid to go to the bottom of the canister. Then laying the refrigerator on it's back will not damage anything! When you get home bend the compressor back to where it originally was and reinsert bots or leave it as it is and use it like a deep freeze cooler it will now sit on it's back and you may fill
It with a lot more beverages than you would have been able to before!! " note that you will have to buy some sort of pan if you leave ion it's back because the the compressor will condensate and drip water ' difference is that a refrigerator already has the drop pan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:23:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Using a wrench remove the bolts from the bottom of the compressor , because most of the connections are copper they are bendable. Very slowly turn the compressor to the back of the fridge thus causing the fluid to go to the bottom of the canister. Then laying the refrigerator on it's back will not damage anything! When you get home bend the compressor back to where it originally was and reinsert bots or leave it as it is and use it like a deep freeze cooler it will now sit on it's back and you may fill

It with a lot more beverages than you would have been able to before!! " note that you will have to buy some sort of pan if you leave ion it's back because the the compressor will condensate and drip water ' difference is that a refrigerator already has the drop pan

I was interested in making a refrigerator into a "deep freeze" cooler. Would you recommend doing this for permanent use? It would be outside, so the drip pan would not be a problem. I was trying to attach a picture. It is nice with wood covering and lift doors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 15:48:28 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

...nothing.

Is that how they do things in Madison, Wisconsin -53719 ?

Please expound on your comment so we understand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, laying down an abandoned refrigerator
might make it harder for a trapped child to
get out of - due to weight of the door. No
one here thought of that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote: "- show quoted text -
You're saying that you know positively that
several hundred readers didn't think of that?

This IS America, right?

Refrigerator Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 5 June 25th 09 10:33 PM
Refrigerator Pt. 2 Steve Kraus Home Repair 8 May 31st 09 08:00 PM
Refrigerator Roger Home Repair 5 February 25th 06 12:46 PM
Refrigerator JasmynJade Home Repair 9 November 22nd 05 01:31 AM
sub zero 550 refrigerator ryan Home Repair 3 July 27th 04 12:11 AM