Posted to alt.home.repair
JasmynJade

Default Refrigerator

Is there any other way for oil to get into the coils of a Refrigerator?

We purchased a NEW fridge from Sears in 2002 and purchased an EXTRA 3
yr In-Home Master Protection Agreement at that time. It made alot of
noises from day one...the 1st compressor went out in January
2004....the compressor was replaced...the service man told us that
either the compressor's must be bad or something...he was replacing
them right & left. After about a week...the noises got worse....we
lived with it. It was about time for our 3 yr agreement to run out so
we purchased ANOTHER 2 yr In-Home Master Protection Agreement.
Then on November 13th 2005...all of our food in the freezer thawed out.
We unplugged it for fear of a fire. When I called the 1-800 #...I told
them I wanted a replacement.....afterall, what is that "Satisfaction
Guarantee" worth anyway...they told me it was up to the repairman. The
repairman came and plugged it back in....it came on and was working
fine, at that time. So, he wrote on the service order paper, "working
properly at this time"....and could not determine what was wrong. He
told us to put a bowl of water in the freezer and "watch it". This
could be days, weeks, or months and was told they could NOT do anything
about it for now. Then, on November 18th it qujt working
again...serviceman came on the 19th....he said he found oil in the
coils and said we had turned it over or dropped it.....NO WE DIDN'T!!!
They won't fix it OR replace it.....

Does anyone have any suggestions??????

Thanks in advance,
JasmynJade

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

I am sorry, I have no suggestions on getting it replaced.

The oil is in the Freon that is in the coils and compressor.
When something leaks through a hole or fitting, it will spray or
drip Freon and oil. IMHO the serviceman should have checked the
Freon level in the system, especially when he found oil. There is
nothing about moving or laying one down that will necessarily
cause any oil leak. If you lay one down to move it, you need to
wait a day or two to allow the oil to gravitate back to the
compressor before restarting.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"JasmynJade" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

JasmynJade wrote:
[...]

Sorry I can't tell you how to get them to honor the contract. I'll bet
it is written so that it will cost you more to fight them than the whole
thing cost. It is another good reason not to buy extended warranties
(really insurance policies)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher

On 20 Nov 2005 11:02:55 -0800, "JasmynJade"
wrote:

[...]

How in the world did he think you had turned over or dropped a full
sized refrigerator full of food? I would call the company management
or if you originally bought this warranty at the Sears store I would
try and find someone at sears to talk to about the situation. Clearly
if they replaced the compressor shortly after you bought it there were
problems of some sort. In fact, I think there were major news
articles about this bunch of bad compressors at the time. And that
"oil in the coils", if he means it was on the outside of the coils,
could be due to a slow leak from the first compressor repair not being
done correctly. If he meant oil on the inside of the coils, how does
he know? Does he have X-ray vision? Did he take the coils apart?
Does he know that the guy who did the first repair put the right
amount of oil in it or did the first guy put too much in???

I'd try the phone calls first and if they stonewall you should
politely tell them they are leaving you no option but going to court
and that you need a decision NOW as you need to get on with your life
and get another refrigerator, which you will expect them to pay for
when you sue them, along with all the other expenses such as the time
this has taken you at $25 an hour for your time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

Who is handling the service contract? Is it Sears or is at a third party.
If it is Sears, call the store and get the appliance department manger. No
results? Get the store manager. Still no results? Look up Sears' corporate
management listing. Do not call. Send a letter carefully detailing the
history of the purchase and the problems.

Do not leave anything out! List sales ticket numbers and dates, the repair
dates and if possible ticket numbers from those.
Do not leave anything out that someone might come back and ask about.
Anticipate every query.

Tell them what you want. Keep it all very business like.

Send this to the highest exec at Sears headquarters that you can find. Send
it Express Mail, return receipt requested.
Send a copy to the appliance department manager. Send a copy to your local
BBB. (probably useless, but may prod Sears just a little) Be sure in your
letter that you list the parties that are getting copies.

I have used this technique with other companies over issues that the local
guy stonewalls on and it has proven to be effective

Even if the Big Honcho never even gets the letter, a call from his secretary
can be just as effective in getting resolution.

Charlie

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
JasmynJade

wrote:

[...]

I have spoken with 11 different 1-800 #'s from Sears....including the
Regional & Coorporate office. Would anyone know how to find those
articles about the bad compressors??
No oil on the outside, he said it was IN THE COILS.
Oh, and I have mentioned the Lawyer thing....they still say "Sorry,
Mam".
For everyone's Information....Sear's Lemon CLause states...."Your
appliance can only be considered a "LEMON"...IF....they determine the
covered product is unrepairable due to unavailability of functional
parts or technical information....OR....in the event of more than THREE
SEPARATE product failures, as determined by them, due to a defect in
parts or workmanship within any CONTINOUS 12 month period. THEN, if
they DO replace it...it does NOT include...preventive maintenance,
product diagnosis, customer instruction, accessory, cosmetic, or
non-functional repair or replacement, or any repair covered under
manufacture's product recall. Replacement products may be new OR
"rebuilt" to meet the manufactures supply. In ALL cases, product
comparability will be determined by them at their sole discretion.
I'm outraged.....Four days before Thanksgiving!! We have a local TV
station Lady that does "TroubleShooting" for consumers...I have
e-mailed her as of yesterday.....we are hoping she can help! Really,
it's like the gentleman said earler....they pretty much have their
butts covered....why waste more money on a Lawyer!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

..On 20 Nov 2005 16:59:01 -0800, "JasmynJade"
wrote:

[...]

YAWN (lemon stuff)! Jump over to http:\\ftc.gov Click the file a
complaint tab, write the complaint in limited words, submit with a
correct email. Your complaint will assigned a number and filed for
further reference in case of an investigation - you get a reply. An
investigation most likely won't happen, unless there are multiple
complaints. But when this complaint NUMBER is accompanied with
letters to Sears things may change. Don't necessarily threaten with
lawyers or what they might do in the future.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

JasmynJade wrote:
No oil on the outside, he said it was IN THE COILS.

I'm not an expert that sounds entirely normal. Refrigeration oil is in
there with the refrigerant and may circulate with it to some degree. A BS
excuse topped by BS explanation (you turned the fridge over!?!?! ha!). Can
you get someone else?
Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Hind Sight is a whole lot better to judge the things you should do but
here is some hindsight that is a future sight to all. You may buy
something from Sears at a good price , but just don't expect them to
warrant it !

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
JasmynJade

Thanks everyone....I appreciate you writing back. I am gonna make
another attempt to call tomorrow....I'll keep ya informed.....Ya'll
have a GREAT Thanksgiving!!!!!
Oh, and Turtle.....YOUR RIGHT!!!!!