Chris

Default Refrigerator Tripping Breaker

Hi,

We have a GE refrigerator/freezer which is about 5 years old. I woke up
this morning and noticed the refrigerator was off, so I checked the breaker
and found out it was tripped. I reset it and the refrigerator started to
run. Later in the day, I checked to see if the contents of the refrigerator
were being cooled, but discovered they were actually warmer than they were
in the morning. The fan was running, but the compressor wasn't. The next
think I tried was to turn off the refrigerator from the control inside the
refrigerator and then turn it back on. This tripped the breaker.

I suspect the compressor is bad. I have previously cleaned the dust out of
the coils, so I don't think it was running an excessive amount of time due
to poor heat exchange.

Any ideas on what I might try before having it repaired?

Thanks,

Chris

rck

If you are lucky, it may be the start relay or capacitor. If the relay is
bad, depending on the model, it won't pull in the start winding or capacitor
and that'll trip the breaker. Unplug the fridge, examine contacts on start
relay. The relay is usually located on the side of the compressor. Much
cheaper than a compressor.

Bob

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

m Ransley

Try plugging it into a different circuit, could be a bad breaker or
wiring problem. Use a clamp on amp meter to ck amp draw

Chris

I did the following:

With the temperature control inside the refrig set to off:

1) Plugged the unit into a normal circuit. The light inside the refrig
comes on.

2) ) Plugged the unit into a GFI circuit. The breaker trips.

3) Disconnected the relay on the compressor and again plugged the unit into
a GFI circuit. The breaker did not trip and the light went on inside the
refrig. When I turned the unit on using the temperature control, the fan
went on and the breaker did not trip.

If the unit is plugged into a normal circuit with the relay connected, and
the control unit inside the refrig is turned on, the breaker trips.

Based on the behavior using the GFI circuit, I don't think the problem is
with the compressor. I suspect the relay, but it is a bit difficult to
access. Getting to it and examining the contacts is the next step.

Chris

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Try plugging it into a different circuit, could be a bad breaker or
wiring problem. Use a clamp on amp meter to ck amp draw

m Ransley

Dont run or test it with a GFI on the circuit, tripping is normal with
GFIs

jeff

[...]

Compressor windings may be grounded and blew the fuse, this can be
checked with an ohm meter ( power off ).

A copy...

--First check to see if you have windings in the compressor. Then
check to see if they are grounded. If the compressor has windings and
they are not grounded, you can find which winding is which. First
check for grounded windings by reading from each of the 3 terminals to
a good ground on the cabinet.--

Taken from...
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html#clicking

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
George E. Cawthon

Yep, buy an ez start or quick start. It is just a big capacitor that
attaches to the start circuit. Costs about $15 at an appliance parts
store and takes about 1/2 hour to fix including moving the frig out,
removing lower back pannel, figuring out how to connect it and making
the connection. Should solve your problem. If not, it's probably
time for a replacement frig.

You could replace the start switch but it will probably cost more and
give out in another few years. I went throught this problem, as the
original start switch was poorly designed or manufactured. First I
(actually a frig repairman) replaced the original with a new super
duper solid state start switch which went bad after a few years, so I
got smart and got an ez start, which has been working flawlessly for
many years.

Chris wrote:

[...]

Chris

I went to www.repairclinic.com, which explained how to check the windings.
The measured resistance between the three windings (start, run, common) was
consistent with what repairclinic.com described. Repairclinic.com also
explained that none of the windings should have a path to ground. However,
I found the start winding in my compressor has one when I went to measure
its resistance, which probably explains why the breaker was tripping. There
evidently is no fix for this, other than a new compressor ($100 + labor).

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions ...

Chris

"jeff" wrote in message
om...