Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger

Default Refrigerator

Slime Buildup
Inside Cold Water Dispenser
Of Refrigerator

The cold water dispensed from my refrigerator contains small translucent
particles mingled throughout the water apparent when holding a glass of
water up to a light background. The size of these particles varies from
just
a few thousands of an inch with some reaching upwards of an eight of an
inch.

Following an inline filter change I noted a burst of air in the line
when I
turned the water back on. This burst of air apparently disturbed the
slime
buildup inside the tank and even after flushing by running many gallons
of
water through the tank the problem still persists.

I have noticed a slime buildup on other apparatus such as the cold air
humidifier where the slime is more open to analysis. Running the
humidifier
one week will cause a slime buildup on all parts that the water touches.

I assume this buildup could also take place in the cold water tank of the
refrigerator. Since the tank is not accessible for cleaning, I also
assume
that the slime would continue to build up to a point where it would start
breaking loose and be mixed with the water.

Can anyone shed more light on this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Roger
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Roger wrote:
[...]

Have you considered that this may be something in your water that is
precipitating out due to the temperature drop? It could be liquid when
passing the filter but then become solid as cooled.

Try warming the water to say 100º F and see what happens.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:33:39 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Roger wrote:
[...]

What would happen to refrigerator slime if the water were heated? I'm
thinking it might fully dissolve either way, if it originates in the
refrigerator or not.

He should also take water from the tap and cool it to the refrigerator
cold water temperature to see if these things appear without the water
going through the refrigerator.

BTW, OP, if you've watched any of the movies which star slime, you'll
know that it grows at an incredible rate. Just a teaspoon's worth can
grow to fill a room in 5 or 10 minutes. You'll have to watch some of
those movies to see how to get rid of it. I know it can be done in
less than 2 hours (the length of the movie.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Roger" wrote in message
Slime Buildup
Inside Cold Water Dispenser
Of Refrigerator

Following an inline filter change I noted a burst of air in the line
when I
turned the water back on. This burst of air apparently disturbed the
slime
buildup inside the tank and even after flushing by running many gallons
of
water through the tank the problem still persists.

Probably not slime, but minerals. All water contains a certain amount of
iron, calcium, and a list of about 15 ingredients. It will often
precipitate out when resting in one spot for a length of time or when the
water is evaporated out. Coffee makers are known for lime buildup over time
due to the evaporation.

The only way to determine exactly what it is, and how to eliminate it, is to
have your water tested. If it is very hard you know you have a lot of
minerals. Any water treatment seller will do that for you usually free. If
you want a more detailed analysis, it must be sent to a lab. Softeners and
filters may be what you need.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the same tiny little white particles in my refrigerator water.
They appear to be mineral deposits. I even considered taking out the
water canister to flush it, but concluded that because of the way it's
built (only small inlet/outlet holes), that wouldn't work either.
Short of buying a new canister and installing an inline filter, I
couldn't come up with a solution.

I also recently flushed my water heater and all the sediment was white
flakes too, though much larger and higher quantity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Roger wrote:
[...]

Hi,

No mention of the refrigerator make or model#. Something that may
help....
http://www.applianceaid.com/water-resevour.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid