Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Why Can't You Lay Refrigerator Down??

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:02:34 -0400, (MICHELLE H.)
wrote:

Is it true that laying a refrigerator down on it's side ruins it and/or
voids any warranty? I read something about how when you lay it on the
side, that oil and coolant get up into the coils. Other people say you
CAN lay it on the side, as long as you leave it unplugged for a few
hours after getting home and standing it up.

Anyway, on the box it specifically says "Do NOT lay refrigerator down on
it's side! KEEP UPRIGHT AT ALL TIMES!!".

Two considerations. One is the oil thing and yes, standing it up for
a while should take care of it.

The other is shipping damage. I don't know how the compressor is
mounted,but it is designed to travel standing upright. Bouncing in a
truck for a couple hundred miles can possibly cause damage if it is on
the side. A half hour in a gently driven vehicle would be OK. Watch
for pot holes.

If would be good if you knew more about the design but it would not be
readily available. . One side may have more or less damage potential
than another, but you'd have to know about the design of the unit.