Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Refrigerator

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:59:49 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Yesterday my fridge seemed a bit cool. Wrote it off to the automatic
defrost cycle.

This morning, it still seemed too cool. The frozen meat agreed.

Couple years ago, the same thing happen to ours. So, when the boss left to
go someplace, I dropped everything and fixed the fridge. it made her mad,
cause she couldn't go buy a new one. Go figure, sometimes you can't win.

Karl

I kept a 1968 Inglis going till a couple years ago, probably could
have saved it with another new start relay, but figured it was time
for a new one, I had replaced the condenser fan twice and the
evaporator fan once as well as the relay and start cap.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I used a 1947 Fridgidaire that I fished out of the trash from the late 60s
through 1987, it died when some particle lodged in the lubrication hole for
the piston and the compressor seized up. So, that's 40 years of operation -
anyone top that?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote:

I used a 1947 Fridgidaire that I fished out of the trash from the late 60s
through 1987, it died when some particle lodged in the lubrication hole for
the piston and the compressor seized up. So, that's 40 years of operation -
anyone top that?

Sunday when I'm over to mom's, I'll take a picture of Grandmothers old fridge. The
cooling section is on top, it is round. Cooled a lot of apples over the years. I was
somewhat shocked to see it was down in the basement and plugged in last month.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-06-24, Bill Noble wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message

[ ... ]

I kept a 1968 Inglis going till a couple years ago, probably could
have saved it with another new start relay, but figured it was time
for a new one, I had replaced the condenser fan twice and the
evaporator fan once as well as the relay and start cap.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I used a 1947 Fridgidaire that I fished out of the trash from the late 60s
through 1987, it died when some particle lodged in the lubrication hole for
the piston and the compressor seized up. So, that's 40 years of operation -
anyone top that?

Well ... at work I had a 'fridge made by International Harvester
in about 1951 IIRC, and it was still running fine as of 1997. It may
still be running if someone else took it over instead of turning it in.
Usually it was easier to keep it than to go through the paperwork of
turning it in. :-)

I had to defrost it using a pair of "slaughtering irons" (750
Watt soldering irons with 1" diameter tips). And I had to defrost it
rather too often, because the rubber gasket on the door was a bit
hardened with age.

I could have defrosted it more slowly, but that would have meant
staying after work or leaving the contents exposed to room temperature
for longer than I would like. (Contents were adhesives, RTVs and such,
not food.) But just opening the door, unplugging the fridge, and
plugging both irons in while they were in the freezing compartment (all
metal -- the plastic door for that was long gone).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:08:30 -0400, Wes wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote:

I used a 1947 Fridgidaire that I fished out of the trash from the late 60s
through 1987, it died when some particle lodged in the lubrication hole for
the piston and the compressor seized up. So, that's 40 years of operation -
anyone top that?

Sunday when I'm over to mom's, I'll take a picture of Grandmothers old fridge. The
cooling section is on top, it is round. Cooled a lot of apples over the years. I was
somewhat shocked to see it was down in the basement and plugged in last month.

The GE "Monitor Top" dates back to when they were almost impossible to
kill. Keep R-12 refrigerant and oil in, a good gasket on the door,
and an occasional rewire because the power cord and internal 120V
wiring goes away, and it will likely run forever.

I even heard there's a company cutting open and rebuiilding the
original hermetic compressors (then welding them closed again) when
they finally do stop working from a bad valve, or the bearings get so
loose the noise drives you insane.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

We had a 1937 GE sealed unit fridge using sulphur dioxide refrigerant which
had been bought new by my parents. It was in use until 1991 when it siezed.
Only previous problem was a faulty thermostat sometime in the 1970's.
--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me, replace "xxx" with letters tango papa golf.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I forget the make of my 1955 Bee- - -Shop fridge - (Kelvinator, I
think), but it was still working when they came to take it away (I
think they make a large profit from salvaged R-12). All I ever did was
replace the (bi-metal) start relay ~1978.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Refrigerator Pt. 2 Steve Kraus Home Repair 8 May 31st 09 08:00 PM
Refrigerator JasmynJade Home Repair 9 November 22nd 05 01:31 AM
Help with Refrigerator Pat Home Repair 5 August 3rd 05 02:27 AM
sub zero 550 refrigerator ryan Home Repair 3 July 27th 04 12:11 AM
Sub-Zero refrigerator TJAGF Home Repair 1 May 18th 04 11:45 AM