Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Refrigerator

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:08:30 -0400, Wes wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote:

I used a 1947 Fridgidaire that I fished out of the trash from the late 60s
through 1987, it died when some particle lodged in the lubrication hole for
the piston and the compressor seized up. So, that's 40 years of operation -
anyone top that?

Sunday when I'm over to mom's, I'll take a picture of Grandmothers old fridge. The
cooling section is on top, it is round. Cooled a lot of apples over the years. I was
somewhat shocked to see it was down in the basement and plugged in last month.

The GE "Monitor Top" dates back to when they were almost impossible to
kill. Keep R-12 refrigerant and oil in, a good gasket on the door,
and an occasional rewire because the power cord and internal 120V
wiring goes away, and it will likely run forever.

I even heard there's a company cutting open and rebuiilding the
original hermetic compressors (then welding them closed again) when
they finally do stop working from a bad valve, or the bearings get so
loose the noise drives you insane.

-- Bruce --