ryan

Default sub zero 550 refrigerator

Purchased a 550 model refrigerator manufactured in 1993 top/bottom
unit second hand. When originally viewed, unit seemed in good working
condition. Refrigerator was cold and freezer was cold. The guy I
bought it from delivered it on it's side(about a 15 mile drive) and
after consulting subzero they said to let it stand upright for
24-48hrs... I left it for 72hrs. Plugged it in and set the settings
on the lowest settings 1. Everything seemed to be working fine. Frig
was about 47 degrees and freezer was 10 degrees. Turned the settings
up to 3 and then 5 on each and on the freezer, I began to notice
condensation forming on the bottom right side about a foot off the
floor. After inspecting further it seems that there is a small
outward dent at the point of condensation. This seems to me that
there is some sort of structural wall damage to the freezer. So, we
turned it back down to 1 and it stops. So, we then loaded the frig
with food and then waited. the frig now won't go below 55 degrees on
any setting. I inspected the condensors and carefully cleaned away
any dust off the coils. I did notice that some of the aluminum fins
are slighly bent. Anybody with any ideas on what could be the
problems with this unit. Thanks.
Bulletsnbrains

Hey ryan,

"ryan" wrote in message
om...
Purchased a 550 model refrigerator manufactured in 1993 top/bottom
unit second hand. When originally viewed, unit seemed in good working
condition. Refrigerator was cold and freezer was cold. The guy I
bought it from delivered it on it's side(about a 15 mile drive) and

The proper method is lying on it's back side... or standing up is preffered.

after consulting subzero they said to let it stand upright for
24-48hrs... I left it for 72hrs.

This is to prevent liquid freon from damaging the compressor at start up.
Since compressors are designed for gasses, not liquids.

Plugged it in and set the settings
on the lowest settings 1. Everything seemed to be working fine. Frig
was about 47 degrees and freezer was 10 degrees. Turned the settings
up to 3 and then 5 on each and on the freezer, I began to notice
condensation forming on the bottom right side about a foot off the
floor.

Is this condensate on the door front or the gasket seating surface?

After inspecting further it seems that there is a small
outward dent at the point of condensation. This seems to me that
there is some sort of structural wall damage to the freezer. So, we

How bad is the dent? could you send me a pic? to bstrang at sbcglobal dot
net? Behind the gasket seat is a 3/16" copper tubing that circulates the
high pressure freon to the drain pan loop and back to the condensor. This
is to keep the gasket seat warm so that freeze up and condensate doesn't
form. Is it possible that the line was pinched?

turned it back down to 1 and it stops. So, we then loaded the frig
with food and then waited. the frig now won't go below 55 degrees on
any setting. I inspected the condensors and carefully cleaned away
any dust off the coils. I did notice that some of the aluminum fins
are slighly bent. Anybody with any ideas on what could be the
problems with this unit. Thanks.

Keep in touch,
Brian

HvacTech2

Hi Bulletsnbrains, hope you are having a nice day

On 25-Jul-04 At About 22:20:46, Bulletsnbrains wrote to All
Subject: sub zero 550 refrigerator

B From: "Bulletsnbrains"

B Hey ryan,

B The proper method is lying on it's back side... or standing up is
B preffered.

The proper method is to not lay it down at all.

after consulting subzero they said to let it stand upright for
24-48hrs... I left it for 72hrs.

B This is to prevent liquid freon from damaging the compressor at start
B up. Since compressors are designed for gasses, not liquids.

No it isn't liquid refrigerant that is the problem. it is the oil. the oil
can plug the capillary tubes if you lay it down.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?"- s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Bulletsnbrains

Hey HVAC,

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

Hi Bulletsnbrains, hope you are having a nice day

On 25-Jul-04 At About 22:20:46, Bulletsnbrains wrote to All

The proper method is to not lay it down at all.

Right! That's how we ship'em! :-)

after consulting subzero they said to let it stand upright for
24-48hrs... I left it for 72hrs.

B This is to prevent liquid freon from damaging the compressor at start
B up. Since compressors are designed for gasses, not liquids.

No it isn't liquid refrigerant that is the problem. it is the oil. the oil
can plug the capillary tubes if you lay it down.

We talking quite a distance traveled to get back to the comp... You sure it
could get that far.... Comp to frame tube to condenser to drier to cap tube
before it reaches then the evap back to the comp. .(No accumalator on Ref,
just freezer.) Sub Z's use 3/16" o.d. copper tubing(frame tube) behind the
gasket seat to keep the gasket and front warm. On 611/650 units, it is one
big "U" shape for each, refer and freezer. I'd be more concerned about
contaminants reaching the cap tube/drier.

-= HvacTech2 =-

Brian