lehei

Default refrigerator not cooling - defrost timer?

Hi all,

From what I can gather, my refrigerator's defrost timer is not working
properly. The symptom, which has occured twice now, is that the
refrigerator suddenly stops cooling and warms up to ambient
temperature. I have have tried cycling the temperature controls
on/off and also unplugging the refrigerator and plugging it back in
and it does not cool. If I leave the refrigerator unplugged for
several days, then I can plug it back in and it will work properly.
According to what I have been able to find on the net, this is most
likely the defrost timer. The refrigerator is a Kenmore side by side
apparently made by Frigidaire (model 253.51694103). The label
indicates it was manufactured in April 2002.

Is there any way to test the timer to verify that it is or is not
working propertly before I try replacing it? I have not been able to
find a repair manual.... The part is pictured at this link
(http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=948965) and there is
no apparent way to advance the timer as on older models.

Thanks.
Kahlua53

Does the freezer still work OK? Does it stay cold when the fridge gets warm.
Then it could be a few things.
The cooling fan, defrost heater and/or thermostat, Defrost timer.

Just from what you posted. It sounds like the Freezer is icing up and you need
to defrost it manually
If so then it would be the defrost heater and/or thermostat or defrost timer.
Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks
Dan O.

lehei wrote in message ...

From what I can gather, my refrigerator's
defrost timer is not working properly. The
symptom, which has occured twice now, is
that the refrigerator suddenly stops cooling
and warms up to ambient temperature. I
have have tried cycling the temperature
controls on/off and also unplugging the
refrigerator and plugging it back in and it
does not cool. If I leave the refrigerator
unplugged for several days, then I can
plug it back in and it will work properly.

According to what I have been able to find
on the net, this is most likely the defrost timer.
The refrigerator is a Kenmore side by side
apparently made by Frigidaire (model
253.51694103). The label indicates it was
manufactured in April 2002.

Is there any way to test the timer to verify that
it is or is not working propertly before I try
replacing it? I have not been able to
find a repair manual....

The service manual for the Frigidaire built Side by Side and Top Mount
refigerators produced from April to December 2002 can be ordered at
the following link.

http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc=959363

The part is pictured at this link
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=4&N=948965
and there is no apparent way to advance the timer
as on older models.

Ah, an 'adaptive defrost control'.
There is a procedure to put them into the
various cycles manually but I don't know
what that procedure is for the Frigidaire
used ones. Sorry.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com