Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's it called?

I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:37:07 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Solenoid?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/7/2013 6:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Nail guns...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's it called? It's called "I don't know how to craft a propersubject line"

How's that for a better subject line...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:37:07 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

There are pneumatic cylinders that will do that.
Start here
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-air-cylinders/=m84511
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

Air powered linear actuator ? You can control it with electric air valve.
They go both directions. Problem is with vibration in some precision
applications. Some have a brake. Much faster than most other actuaries. I
helped make one used on a medical imager.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Air-Actuator...inear+actuator

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

Hi,
Google pneumatic actuator.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B[_13_] View Post
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Steve
I think it's called a pneumatic cylinder. The more air pressure you have and the less force it has to overcome by moving, the faster it will move.

Perhaps if you tell us what you're wanting it for, we can think of a better solution.

Last edited by nestork : April 8th 13 at 05:13 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

There are pneumatic cylinders that will do that.
Start here
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-air-cylinders/=m84511

Looks like what I need. I want two to slam into two ends of a pecan to
instantly fracture if for nut removal. Pecan halves are worth a lot more
than plain nuts. I'll read up on this, and see if they will work.

Thanks.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of
the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air
pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

Hi,
Google pneumatic actuator.

Most of what I am finding is much too large for my use. I need about .75"
rod maximum.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2013 6:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

If you want a fast acting cylinder, you'll have to get a high volume of
air under high pressure into the cylinder. I have nitrogen tanks that
are pressurized to something like 2,000 psi and I have use the high
pressure nitrogen to do some wild things with pneumatics but if you wish
to use air you may need to look into a compressor used to pressurize
SCUBA tanks and perhaps you will need a high pressure tank like a SCUBA
tank to use as an accumulator to give you that high pressure, high
volume blast. You can rig a small pneumatic cylinder to open a ball
valve and get a high flow of whatever gas you use to operate your
cylinder but you better have some hard rubber stops to keep the piston
from blowing out of the cylinder. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 19:11:20 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 4/7/2013 6:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Nail guns...

A fastly instantly air pressure actuator?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2013 10:59 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:37:07 -0700, "Steve wrote:

I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

Check these out

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.a...r&keyword=ACSA

The problem with a typical actuator is that the piston is small and the
air inlet is small. You can't get high speed actuation without high
pressure.
The nail gun has the accumulator built into the piston system with a huge
port between the accumulator and the huge cylinder. You can get high volume
for fast actuation plus a lot of force with less air pressure.
Gives you a lot finer control.

If I were gonna crack a nut, I'd make a hard rubber platform slightly
thinner than the nut. Drill a hole in it to guide the nut.
Then play whack-a-mole with a rubber hammer. Crack your nutz
and reduce tension at the same time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2013 12:54 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 00:39:21 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

I think that is overkill. I have a nail gun that will shoot a hard pin
into concrete with 100 PSI.

Steve check out surpluscenter.com. They have stuff like this from time
to time a whole lot cheaper than McMaster Carr.

He really hasn't related what his application is. He may want to build a
guillotine for one of his vulnerable windows and have it set to activate
when a burglar sticks his head through the window? o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2013 11:52 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

There are pneumatic cylinders that will do that.
Start here
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-air-cylinders/=m84511

Looks like what I need. I want two to slam into two ends of a pecan to
instantly fracture if for nut removal. Pecan halves are worth a lot more
than plain nuts. I'll read up on this, and see if they will work.

Thanks.

Steve

In that case it's called a pecan cracker.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 11:47*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:23:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 20:00:02 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:37:07 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. *Instead of
the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air
pressure
hitting it. *What are those called?

Solenoid?

...plunger?

A plunger is on the end of a solenoid. *The solenoid is the "motor"
that activates the "plunger".

Essentially, I want to press an electric button, or an air valve, and have a
rod shoot out the end just once, bounce into something, then retrieve back
into a housing.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

That's what they do for doorbell chimes ding-dong!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 9:52*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

There are pneumatic cylinders that will do that.
Start here
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-air-cylinders/=m84511

Looks like what I need. *I want two to slam into two ends of a pecan to
instantly fracture if for nut removal. *Pecan halves are worth a lot more
than plain nuts. *I'll read up on this, and see if they will work.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve-

The small air cylinders that Ed suggested will probably do the job for
you.
I would suggest a "spring return" type; air powered to extend, air
power off, spring return.

You won't need muhc stroke... maybe 1/2" max?
You'll probably want to limit the travel so you don't completely mash
the nuts.
And probably wind making some sort of nut holding fixture.

You'll have to do some playing around to determine how much force you
need so you can pick a cylinder bore size.

Rod size will be small (like 1/2" or less) you'll need to put some
sort of "tool" on end of the rod.

check these out for concepts

http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item...FQThQgod4mgARg
http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item/Kinetic-Kracker
http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Company-P.../dp/B000FNK8JK

oops!

forgot to hit send last night.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 3:26*am, mike wrote:
[...]

Based on these...

I don't think he needs high speed

http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item...FQThQgod4mgARg
http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item/Kinetic-Kracker
http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Company-P.../dp/B000FNK8JK

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 4:37*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. *Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. *What are those called?

Steve

Souinds like you are describing an a "pneumatic cylinder" Same as a
hydraulic one except run by air pressure.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Gill" wrote in message
On 4/7/2013 11:52 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

There are pneumatic cylinders that will do that.
Start here
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-air-cylinders/=m84511

Looks like what I need. I want two to slam into two ends of a pecan to
instantly fracture if for nut removal. Pecan halves are worth a lot more
than plain nuts. I'll read up on this, and see if they will work.

Thanks.

Steve

In that case it's called a pecan cracker.

Bill

And they are either slow or spendy. Most are handmade. The expensive ones
are $14,000.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bud--" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 4/7/2013 10:55 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of
the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air
pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

Hi,
Google pneumatic actuator.

Most of what I am finding is much too large for my use. I need about
.75"
rod maximum.

Steve

The cylinder attached to a .75" ram will give you enough force to
pulverize your pecans - you can sell pecan-nut-and-shell dust.

You want a rather small cylinder with a larger face, which you can
fabricate easier than most of us.

One method is to spring load the face (may be relatively large springs)
and give the cylinders a short hit of air. You could put a stop on the
extension of the face that would help stop from pulverizing the pecan.
Would think you only need one cylinder, and an 'anvil' on the other side
of the pecan.

Another method, 'face piece' is relatively heavy and separate from
cylinder. It is in a guide. Pneumatic cylinder kicks the 'face piece' and
it travels past where the cylinder stops to hit the pecan. Smaller spring
pushes 'face piece' back. This is more complicated but should be more
controllable. It doesn't matter how long an air pulse to the pneumatic
cylinder is. The hit to the pecan largely depends on the weight of the
'face piece'.

Maybe easier, you could put a spring on the back side of the 'anvil' to
control the hit.

The nut will slide into a piece of pipe, and the ram will have something
attached to the end of it so as to make a flat striking face. That will
be over sized of the pipe, so it never enters the pipe. The cylinder will
control the amount that the nut is compressed, as 1/8" on each end is
adequate.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-04-07, Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

I think you might be thinking of an "intertia" nutcracker. I've never
used one, but I understand they work pretty well on pecans.

http://tinyurl.com/66zwabj

Since they are powered by a rubber band, should be pretty easy/cheap
to make yer own.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:17:32 -0500, Bill Gill
wrote:

In that case it's called a pecan cracker.

Bill

http://pecanvalleypecans.com/Graphics/Texas-Two-Step-Nut-Cracker.gif
Senior Member

My understanding is that scuba tanks are pressurized to about 6,000 psi.

I wouldn't use 2000 psi or anything near 6000 psi air pressure on a pneumatic cylinder without confirming that the cylinder and all the hoses carrying that air are rated for that kind of pressure.

If you put 2000 psi into a cylinder rated at 300 psi, you've got a pipe bomb.

Since most air compressors operate at about 120 to 150 psi, I expect that'll be what most pneumatic equipment is rated for. Maybe 300 psi to provide some safety factor.

But, I doubt you'll be able to find a pneumatic cylinder rated for 2000 psi. I don;t know what would happen if you put 2000 psi air into a hydraulic cylinder rated for 5000 psi oil pressure, but at least the cylinder wouldn;t turn into a pipe bomb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/13 6:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead
of the shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon
air pressure hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

Someone else mentioned the Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE. You might
look at their hydraulic stuff. Hydraulics normally operate at 2000
psi. That could give you a little more speed. Maybe a hydraulic
cylinder operated on air would be useful. They also have power packs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

That is more better. Of all the comments, I think acceleration, force,
mass, destruction of mechanism. Most actuators will specify maximum
pressures. The actuators really needs a soft stop, and the ram will
continue on.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 21:40:29 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

On 4/7/13 6:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead
of the shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon
air pressure hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

Someone else mentioned the Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE. You might
look at their hydraulic stuff. Hydraulics normally operate at 2000
psi. That could give you a little more speed. Maybe a hydraulic
cylinder operated on air would be useful. They also have power packs.

He is cracking pecans, not crushing diamonds. A fairly small air
cylinder operating at a fairly low pressure with a bit of mass would
do it .

Finding the smaller lighter weaker stuff seems to be the problem.
Surplus.com has pneumatic air cylinders, and they seem to be what I need.
Have asked them a couple of questions, but they don't seem too helpful.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/air.asp?catname=air

Maybe someone can read this part on pneumatic air cylinders, and tell me
what it is I need. I don't want a big shaft, a lot of air pressure to run
it, nor a lot of force. And I want it to spring back into original position
when air is released so it will be ready for the next nut. At five or six
bucks apiece, if these work, they'd be the thing.

Steve

What's it called Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 20 April 18th 11 09:10 PM
What's it called Dave Platt Electronic Schematics 2 February 4th 11 01:57 AM
What Is It Called John UK diy 6 May 9th 06 09:29 PM
What is this called?? crmay Home Repair 3 December 31st 05 05:15 PM
What are they called? Rick UK diy 26 December 1st 05 10:35 PM