Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default What's it called?

wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 21:40:29 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

On 4/7/13 6:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead
of the shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon
air pressure hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

Someone else mentioned the Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE. You might
look at their hydraulic stuff. Hydraulics normally operate at 2000
psi. That could give you a little more speed. Maybe a hydraulic
cylinder operated on air would be useful. They also have power packs.

He is cracking pecans, not crushing diamonds. A fairly small air
cylinder operating at a fairly low pressure with a bit of mass would
do it .

Finding the smaller lighter weaker stuff seems to be the problem.
Surplus.com has pneumatic air cylinders, and they seem to be what I need.
Have asked them a couple of questions, but they don't seem too helpful.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/air.asp?catname=air

Maybe someone can read this part on pneumatic air cylinders, and tell me
what it is I need. I don't want a big shaft, a lot of air pressure to run
it, nor a lot of force. And I want it to spring back into original position
when air is released so it will be ready for the next nut. At five or six
bucks apiece, if these work, they'd be the thing.

Steve