Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default What's it called

I used to have a little bottle of some clear fluid, that would flow
into the cracks of polystyrene and similar plastics and "weld" the
crack.

I can't find it anywhere by surfing.

With the pansies in power it's probably illegal now :-)

Finally heard a good explanation of global warming... it's caused by
the intense flow-rate of money from the wallets of the ignorant into
Al Gore's pockets.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

I used to have a little bottle of some clear fluid, that would flow
into the cracks of polystyrene and similar plastics and "weld" the
crack.

I can't find it anywhere by surfing.

With the pansies in power it's probably illegal now :-)

Finally heard a good explanation of global warming... it's caused by
the intense flow-rate of money from the wallets of the ignorant into
Al Gore's pockets.

Methyl-ethyl ketone, MEK. It's similar to acetone, but with one more
CH2 group embedded in it.

To make glue for polystyrene, dissolve some styrofoam peanuts in some.

I think that it will work on acrylic, but you need to be really really
patient.

And in any case, if you get any on the surface, it will wrinkle or craze it.

Or you could look for some toluene - that's what the original "airplane
glue" used.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I used to have a little bottle of some clear fluid, that would flow
into the cracks of polystyrene and similar plastics and "weld" the
crack.

I can't find it anywhere by surfing.

With the pansies in power it's probably illegal now :-)

Finally heard a good explanation of global warming... it's caused by
the intense flow-rate of money from the wallets of the ignorant into
Al Gore's pockets.

MEK is sold as Plastic Cement from Testors. I have a small bottle
on my desk as I write.

Testors part number 3502

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
I used to have a little bottle of some clear fluid, that would flow
into the cracks of polystyrene and similar plastics and "weld" the
crack.

I can't find it anywhere by surfing.

With the pansies in power it's probably illegal now :-)

Finally heard a good explanation of global warming... it's caused by
the intense flow-rate of money from the wallets of the ignorant into
Al Gore's pockets.

...Jim Thompson

I got this http://www.craftics.net/ShowItems.aspx?Category=130
(go down to Product #: 1106002-ret)
at my local Ace HW. It works great on styrene, Plexiglas, and
other clear mystery plastics that I've tried it on. I use a fine glass
pipette to apply it to the joint but the bottles on that web page
would probably work better.
Art

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 16:44:40 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
I used to have a little bottle of some clear fluid, that would flow
into the cracks of polystyrene and similar plastics and "weld" the
crack.

I can't find it anywhere by surfing.

With the pansies in power it's probably illegal now :-)

Finally heard a good explanation of global warming... it's caused by
the intense flow-rate of money from the wallets of the ignorant into
Al Gore's pockets.

...Jim Thompson

I got this http://www.craftics.net/ShowItems.aspx?Category=130
(go down to Product #: 1106002-ret)
at my local Ace HW. It works great on styrene, Plexiglas, and
other clear mystery plastics that I've tried it on. I use a fine glass
pipette to apply it to the joint but the bottles on that web page
would probably work better.
Art

Thanks, that's IT!

What was it called at ACE? I have one less than a mile away. But
surfing shows nothing. Of course it's a toss-up who has the worst
website, ACE or Lowe's ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Perhaps this...

http://tinyurl.com/4nafy6d

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 16:44:40 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in

message
.. .
[...]

I don't recall what the packaging looked like but the bottle is as shown
on the Craftics site. Words on the glass bottle are "Craftics Plastick(sic)
Acrylic Solvent Cement" with the 1106002 number on the reverse.
Art

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On 2/3/2011 4:04 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I used to have a little bottle of some clear fluid, that would flow
into the cracks of polystyrene and similar plastics and "weld" the
crack.

I can't find it anywhere by surfing.

With the pansies in power it's probably illegal now :-)

Finally heard a good explanation of global warming... it's caused by
the intense flow-rate of money from the wallets of the ignorant into
Al Gore's pockets.

...Jim Thompson

Its called a senil old man.

;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

I used to have a little bottle of some clear fluid, that would flow
into the cracks of polystyrene and similar plastics and "weld" the
crack.

I can't find it anywhere by surfing.

With the pansies in power it's probably illegal now :-)

Finally heard a good explanation of global warming... it's caused by
the intense flow-rate of money from the wallets of the ignorant into
Al Gore's pockets.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Us "pansies" use a product to permanently weld together acrylic parts.

I have a can of it in front of me now.

JAM
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 12:56:53 -0500, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I used to have a little bottle of some clear fluid, that would flow
into the cracks of polystyrene and similar plastics and "weld" the
crack.

I can't find it anywhere by surfing.

With the pansies in power it's probably illegal now :-)

Finally heard a good explanation of global warming... it's caused by
the intense flow-rate of money from the wallets of the ignorant into
Al Gore's pockets.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Us "pansies" use a product to permanently weld together acrylic parts.

I have a can of it in front of me now.

JAM

I ordered...

Product #: 1106002-ret

Craftics Clear Acrylic Solvent Cement

from this page...

http://www.craftics.net/ShowItems.aspx?Category=130

as recommended by Artemus.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

I used to have a little bottle of some clear fluid, that would flow
into the cracks of polystyrene and similar plastics and "weld" the
crack.

Methyl-Ethyl Ketone?
Ethyl Acetate?
Methylene Chloride?

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
KG KG is offline

Default I need a name 4??

I'm looking for a garget that will turn on the power to receptacle when the power is turned on at
another device. Such as having the sound system power up when the TV is powered up with the
remote. Yes the TV and/or cable box both need standby power, so it should be adjustable to a
degree.
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Whenever a conservative utters the term
"Common Sense approach"...
grab your wallet, your ass, and your girls,
because the sombitch is about to do something
damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:56:18 +0930, "no one"
wrote:

ITS CALLED ETHER..

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I used to have a little bottle of some clear fluid, that would flow
into the cracks of polystyrene and similar plastics and "weld" the
crack.

I can't find it anywhere by surfing.

With the pansies in power it's probably illegal now :-)

Finally heard a good explanation of global warming... it's caused by
the intense flow-rate of money from the wallets of the ignorant into
Al Gore's pockets.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

You're late to the party. On Feb 7 I posted the following...

"I ordered...

Product #: 1106002-ret

Craftics Clear Acrylic Solvent Cement

from this page...

http://www.craftics.net/ShowItems.aspx?Category=130

as recommended by Artemus."

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:52:36 -0400, KG wrote:

I'm looking for a garget that will turn on the power to receptacle when the power is turned on at
another device. Such as having the sound system power up when the TV is powered up with the
remote. Yes the TV and/or cable box both need standby power, so it should be adjustable to a
degree.
*****************
Thank You

I use the minimalist version...

http://catalog.bitsltd.us/power_strips/

to turn on a fan behind my wife's under-kitchen-counter TV set.

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Whenever a conservative utters the term
"Common Sense approach"...
grab your wallet, your ass, and your girls,
because the sombitch is about to do something
damned nasty to all three of them.

Liberals/leftists/progressives are so ignorant they don't know the
definition of ignorant :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

KG wrote:
I'm looking for a garget that will turn on the power to receptacle
when the power is turned on at another device. Such as having the
sound system power up when the TV is powered up with the remote. Yes
the TV and/or cable box both need standby power, so it should be
adjustable to a degree. *****************
Thank You

BITS Limited has a series of "Smart Power Strips" that will do exactly what
you want. I have two of theem; they work beautifully.
http://catalog.bitsltd.us/power_strips/

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:52:36 -0400, KG wrote:

I'm looking for a garget that will turn on the power to receptacle
when the power is turned on at another device. Such as having the
sound system power up when the TV is powered up with the remote.
Yes the TV and/or cable box both need standby power, so it should be
adjustable to a degree. *****************
Thank You

I use the minimalist version...

http://catalog.bitsltd.us/power_strips/

to turn on a fan behind my wife's under-kitchen-counter TV set.

Liberals/leftists/progressives are so ignorant they don't know the
definition of ignorant :-)

...Jim Thompson

Oops... sorry, Jim... didn't see your reply until after I had posted the
same link.
Cheers,
--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:11:57 -0500, "Dave M"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:52:36 -0400, KG wrote:

I'm looking for a garget that will turn on the power to receptacle
when the power is turned on at another device. Such as having the
sound system power up when the TV is powered up with the remote.
Yes the TV and/or cable box both need standby power, so it should be
adjustable to a degree. *****************
Thank You

I use the minimalist version...

http://catalog.bitsltd.us/power_strips/

to turn on a fan behind my wife's under-kitchen-counter TV set.

Liberals/leftists/progressives are so ignorant they don't know the
definition of ignorant :-)

...Jim Thompson

Oops... sorry, Jim... didn't see your reply until after I had posted the
same link.
Cheers,

No problem. Great minds think alike ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

No problem. Great minds think alike ;-)

So do small minds, as they drool and pick at their belly button
lint. In some cases, 'A mind is a terrible thing'.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

What's it called when you... Andrew Gabriel UK diy 16 April 13th 10 10:27 PM
What are they called? John UK diy 2 April 1st 09 01:34 PM
What is the saw called Madx Home Repair 5 June 26th 07 11:46 AM
What is this called?? crmay Home Repair 3 December 31st 05 05:15 PM
What is it called? Chuck Olson Metalworking 13 July 31st 05 08:48 PM