Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's it called when you...

What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it
if I knew what it was called.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

On 09/04/2010 18:06, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it
if I knew what it was called.

Do you mean splicing? eg. an eye-splice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/10 18:06, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it
if I knew what it was called.

Eye splice rings a bell. Google concurs.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PJ writes:
On 09/04/2010 18:06, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it
if I knew what it was called.

Do you mean splicing? eg. an eye-splice.

Yes, that's it thanks.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:45:06 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
PJ writes:
On 09/04/2010 18:06, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it if I
knew what it was called.

Do you mean splicing? eg. an eye-splice.

Yes, that's it thanks.

Various useful links via here, btw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlinespike_seamanship

(found the other day as I was looking up similar things!)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PJ" wrote in message ...
On 09/04/2010 18:06, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it
if I knew what it was called.

Do you mean splicing? eg. an eye-splice.

Mainbrace more like ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:06:50 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it if I knew
what it was called.

Backsplicing.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it
if I knew what it was called.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Do you mean an 'eye slice'
http://www.animatedknots.com/splice/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.anima tedknots.com

or the most vital of all knots - the Bowline?
http://www.animatedknots.com/bowlineboating/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.anima tedknots.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:06:50 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it if I knew
what it was called.

Backsplicing.

Backsplice does not form a loop

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:06:50 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it if I knew
what it was called.

Backsplicing.

Backsplice does not form a loop

And it's dashed difficult to get started too. Used to do it as a kid, but
adult (addled) brain just can't get the initial few moves right - good
enough to reduce fraying though!

Incidentally, splicing was what 'the thing for getting stones out of horses
hooves' that used to be on jack knives was for. I used to have a really
good one, sadly lost on a mushroom foray somewhere. No doubt all illegal
now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 01:12:16 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:06:50 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it if I
knew what it was called.

Backsplicing.

Backsplice does not form a loop

Yes, I realised that afterwards...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:06:50 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by
intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it if
I knew what it was called.

Backsplicing.

Backsplice does not form a loop

And it's dashed difficult to get started too. Used to do it as a
kid, but adult (addled) brain just can't get the initial few moves
right - good enough to reduce fraying though!

Incidentally, splicing was what 'the thing for getting stones out of
horses hooves' that used to be on jack knives was for. I used to
have a really good one, sadly lost on a mushroom foray somewhere. No
doubt all illegal now.

A marlin spike?

Yes, except they come separately too - to go with your bodkins and sail
maker's palms. There's an interesting old sailors 'gift shop' with a lot of
this stuff in, on Liverpool's Albert dock: and no doubt many other touristy
spots too...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spamlet wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote
spamlet wrote:

Incidentally, splicing was what 'the thing for getting stones out of
horses hooves' that used to be on jack knives was for.

A marlin spike?

Yes, except they come separately too - to go with your bodkins and sail
maker's palms.

Yep - I have a knife & spike set (plus pliers) for working on all this
string he http://is.gd/bosVb

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"spamlet" wrote in message

And it's dashed difficult to get started too. Used to do it as a kid, but
adult (addled) brain just can't get the initial few moves right - good
enough to reduce fraying though!

The key thing is forming the start ... the so called 'crown knot' after that
it's easy.
The animated link I posted shows how to get 'crown knot right'

Recently spliced anchor warps to chain, which was a new one for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"spamlet" wrote in message

Yes, except they come separately too - to go with your bodkins and sail
maker's palms. There's an interesting old sailors 'gift shop' with a lot
of this stuff in, on Liverpool's Albert dock: and no doubt many other
touristy spots too...

any decent chandlers stock these items ... sail makers palm was a good buy.

There is also a good A2 sized sheet (folded to A4 for ease) that is produced
by Marlow Ropes ... it covers all the knots you will ever need, plus
splicing and some decorative rope work.
It was free from Marlow when I had mine.

IMHO the best to learn are Reef, Bowline, Rolling hitch, Round turn & 2 half
hitches and figure of 8 knot

Couple that with end splice and eye splice and you can cover just about all
you need.

I find splicing & rope work very therapeutic ... which is probably a bit
worrying.