Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default What's it called?

I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current. It will be put on a pressurized garden hose. When I hit a button,
the valve will open instantly, and water will spray out the hose. When I
let off the button, the valve will close, and the water will shut off.

I'm trying to make a simple system to help break my dog of barking.

What is the name of this valve/actuator/device? And where might I find one?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
nospam

"Steve B" wrote in message
newsUTag.26663$QP4.22271@fed1read12...
I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current. It will be put on a pressurized garden hose. When I hit a

button,
the valve will open instantly, and water will spray out the hose. When I
let off the button, the valve will close, and the water will shut off.

I'm trying to make a simple system to help break my dog of barking.

What is the name of this valve/actuator/device?

Solenoid valve

And where might I find one?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle+Sea rch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
nospam

"Steve B" wrote in message
newsUTag.26663$QP4.22271@fed1read12...
I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current. It will be put on a pressurized garden hose. When I hit a

button,
the valve will open instantly, and water will spray out the hose. When I
let off the button, the valve will close, and the water will shut off.

I'm trying to make a simple system to help break my dog of barking.

What is the name of this valve/actuator/device? And where might I find

one?

Steve

Here's some mo http://tinyurl.com/qvxev

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Wed, 17 May 2006 22:48:07 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current. It will be put on a pressurized garden hose. When I hit a button,
the valve will open instantly, and water will spray out the hose. When I
let off the button, the valve will close, and the water will shut off.

I'm trying to make a simple system to help break my dog of barking.

What is the name of this valve/actuator/device? And where might I find one?

Steve

Solenoid valve.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

wrote:

I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current. It will be put on a pressurized garden hose. When I hit a button,
the valve will open instantly, and water will spray out the hose. When I
let off the button, the valve will close, and the water will shut off.

I'm trying to make a simple system to help break my dog of barking.

What is the name of this valve/actuator/device? And where might I find one?

Steve

Hey Steve,

A solenoid valve, and a constant pressure switch. For a cheap try,
get one off a scrap dishwasher or automatic clothes-washer, and a
door-bell or horn type button. If you buy new instead, all come in a
wide range of voltages.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current. It will be put on a pressurized garden hose. When I hit a button,
the valve will open instantly, and water will spray out the hose. When I
let off the button, the valve will close, and the water will shut off.

I'm trying to make a simple system to help break my dog of barking.

What is the name of this valve/actuator/device? And where might I find one?

Steve

Solenoid valve.

Pete Keillor

You can scrounge a line-voltage operated one from an old washer or
dishwasher, or buy a low voltage one (eg. 24VAC) in the sprinkler
section of HD or whatever. The sprinkler ones should have more
convenient fittings on both sides. I think less than $15 US.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
You can scrounge a line-voltage operated one from an old washer or
dishwasher,...

Note that both of these will give you reduced flow, especially the
dishwasher one. I have used the washing machine ones to rig watering
for new lawns and they were just barely adequate. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"KewlKiwi" wrote in message

A wife? [grin]

He said, "instantly."

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The solenoid activated jet of water idea is fine provided Rover (or is
it Scooby in the USA?) obligingly stands in the line of fire whenever
you want to train him. Also, I guess that you wouldn't want to soak
the inside of the house, so you could only train him when he was
outside.
A more versatile solution is the radio controlled high pitched
electronic 'whistle' that you fit to a dog's collar for training
purposes. The sound's frequency is too high to be detected by humans,
but dogs hate it. You still get to press a button so you're in
control, you save water, save mess and you don't get your own (water)
back whenever your soggy pooch shakes himself dry whilst standing
beside you.
Hope this helps
Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article pUTag.26663$QP4.22271@fed1read12, Steve B says...

I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current.

These don't exist. All solenoid valves currently on the market
take some time to open, about a half a second. You need to
look into a negative causality valve, which will stop your
dog from barking before it's actuated.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On 18 May 2006 14:26:36 -0700, the renowned jim rozen
wrote:

In article pUTag.26663$QP4.22271@fed1read12, Steve B says...

I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current.

These don't exist. All solenoid valves currently on the market
take some time to open, about a half a second. You need to
look into a negative causality valve, which will stop your
dog from barking before it's actuated.

Jim

The pilot valve could be controlled by a thiotimoline crystal.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Solenoid valve. Get from McMaster or any supplier of inground sprinkler
systems.

Tried that on my dog. There is a slight time delay from the time the
valve acuates until the pressure builds up sufficiently to get a good
spray going. The dog learned to bark, wait for the first little sounds
from the solenoid, high tail it for his dog house. After the first
couple of nights, he didn't even get wet. Bought a shock collar for
field traing, left it on all night, blipped the controller from my bed.
About 2 nights and no barking. (Except when the deer stroll by his dog
kennel!)

Steve B wrote:

I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current. It will be put on a pressurized garden hose. When I hit a button,
the valve will open instantly, and water will spray out the hose. When I
let off the button, the valve will close, and the water will shut off.

I'm trying to make a simple system to help break my dog of barking.

What is the name of this valve/actuator/device? And where might I find one?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

The pilot valve could be controlled by a thiotimoline crystal.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Hey! There is a word I havent seen in a LOOONG time. :-)
Must have been 25 or so years ago in Analog.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On 18 May 2006 14:26:36 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article pUTag.26663$QP4.22271@fed1read12, Steve B says...

I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current.

These don't exist. All solenoid valves currently on the market
take some time to open, about a half a second. You need to
look into a negative causality valve, which will stop your
dog from barking before it's actuated.

Jim

I have one of those Jim. It worked so well I didn't even get the dog.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Oh - instantly means within ms or maybe a second or more - due to reaction time
being the largest component.

An air gate could do that - you would want 12V low voltage. How about a yard
sprinkler valve and a transformer and a switch. Just have to put in adapters
to the hose.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Steve B wrote:
I want to get a valve that is opened and closed instantly by an electric
current. It will be put on a pressurized garden hose. When I hit a button,
the valve will open instantly, and water will spray out the hose. When I
let off the button, the valve will close, and the water will shut off.

I'm trying to make a simple system to help break my dog of barking.

What is the name of this valve/actuator/device? And where might I find one?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88

Home garden sprinkler systems are actuated by banks of these systems.
They even have regular plumbing fittings attached. Available at local
hardware or plumbing supply stores.

what is it called? ron UK diy 14 April 4th 06 10:16 AM
What is this product called here Mark Trueman UK diy 10 March 14th 06 07:14 AM
What is the smallest size wood that can be called wood working? Jack Forbes Woodworking 8 January 15th 06 06:01 PM
Whats it called, how do I make on? Andrew VK3BFA Metalworking 15 December 2nd 05 11:24 PM
Whats this type of foundation called ? Sonbo Home Repair 2 December 1st 05 11:32 PM