Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's it called?

On 4/8/2013 12:54 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 00:39:21 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 4/7/2013 6:37 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. Instead of the
shaft coming out slowly, I want it to shoot out instantly upon air pressure
hitting it. What are those called?

Steve

If you want a fast acting cylinder, you'll have to get a high volume of
air under high pressure into the cylinder. I have nitrogen tanks that
are pressurized to something like 2,000 psi and I have use the high
pressure nitrogen to do some wild things with pneumatics but if you wish
to use air you may need to look into a compressor used to pressurize
SCUBA tanks and perhaps you will need a high pressure tank like a SCUBA
tank to use as an accumulator to give you that high pressure, high
volume blast. You can rig a small pneumatic cylinder to open a ball
valve and get a high flow of whatever gas you use to operate your
cylinder but you better have some hard rubber stops to keep the piston
from blowing out of the cylinder. ^_^

TDD

I think that is overkill. I have a nail gun that will shoot a hard pin
into concrete with 100 PSI.

Steve check out surpluscenter.com. They have stuff like this from time
to time a whole lot cheaper than McMaster Carr.

He really hasn't related what his application is. He may want to build a
guillotine for one of his vulnerable windows and have it set to activate
when a burglar sticks his head through the window? o_O

TDD