Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default What's it called?

On Apr 7, 9:52*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

There are pneumatic cylinders that will do that.
Start here
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-air-cylinders/=m84511

Looks like what I need. *I want two to slam into two ends of a pecan to
instantly fracture if for nut removal. *Pecan halves are worth a lot more
than plain nuts. *I'll read up on this, and see if they will work.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve-

The small air cylinders that Ed suggested will probably do the job for
you.
I would suggest a "spring return" type; air powered to extend, air
power off, spring return.

You won't need muhc stroke... maybe 1/2" max?
You'll probably want to limit the travel so you don't completely mash
the nuts.
And probably wind making some sort of nut holding fixture.

You'll have to do some playing around to determine how much force you
need so you can pick a cylinder bore size.

Rod size will be small (like 1/2" or less) you'll need to put some
sort of "tool" on end of the rod.

check these out for concepts

http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item...FQThQgod4mgARg
http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item/Kinetic-Kracker