Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit breaker question

Several weeks ago I turned on my oven to preheat it. Some 15 minutes later
I returned and it was cold. I finally checked the 40 A double-breaker and
it was tripped. I reset it and the oven worked ok. I've used the oven since
several times with no problem Can I stop worrying about it? I've never had
a breaker trip like that for no reason before.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
Several weeks ago I turned on my oven to preheat it. Some 15 minutes later
I returned and it was cold. I finally checked the 40 A double-breaker and
it was tripped. I reset it and the oven worked ok. I've used the oven
since
several times with no problem Can I stop worrying about it? I've never had
a breaker trip like that for no reason before.

TIA

A breaker may trip for no apparent reason. If it does it again, then worry.
Did you have any other burners on the stove at the time ?

If you can , you may want to take the cover off the breaker panel and with
the breaker turned off, check the screws to see if they are tight. While
you are in there , you may want to do the same thing to all the other
breakers.
Sometimes over the years the screws may work loose or may not have been
tightened enough when installes. This creats a hot spot and the breaker
works off heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/13/2013 12:09 PM, KenK wrote:
Several weeks ago I turned on my oven to preheat it. Some 15 minutes later
I returned and it was cold. I finally checked the 40 A double-breaker and
it was tripped. I reset it and the oven worked ok. I've used the oven since
several times with no problem Can I stop worrying about it? I've never had
a breaker trip like that for no reason before.

"Stuff happens" occasionally...perhaps there was a transient at the same
time or somesuch.

I'd suggest next time the oven is on and nearing end of a heating cycle
so has been drawing power for a while to go feel the breaker and make
certain it's not warm to touch--if not, I'd give permission to stop
worrying.

If is, check connections (throw main feed breaker before removing cover,
of course) for tightness and consider replacement...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2013 1:09 PM, KenK wrote:
Several weeks ago I turned on my oven to preheat it. Some 15 minutes later
I returned and it was cold. I finally checked the 40 A double-breaker and
it was tripped. I reset it and the oven worked ok. I've used the oven since
several times with no problem Can I stop worrying about it? I've never had
a breaker trip like that for no reason before.

TIA

With heating elements you can have an intermittent short circuit,
typically at one of the terminal ends. When they heat up they flex
slightly, and if the terminal is very close to metal, it can short,
sometimes burning away the metal that it came in contact with. It is
also possible to have a bad connection at the breaker, or at the oven
end. If this is the case, it will continue to deteriorate and ultimately
leave you with an open circuit. It is also possibly a breaker going bad,
again, if so, it will continue to deteriorate until it stops working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2013 1:09 PM, KenK wrote:
Several weeks ago I turned on my oven to preheat it. Some 15 minutes later
I returned and it was cold. I finally checked the 40 A double-breaker and
it was tripped. I reset it and the oven worked ok. I've used the oven since
several times with no problem Can I stop worrying about it? I've never had
a breaker trip like that for no reason before.

TIA

Maybe. Same thing happened to me and I reset the breaker and continued
cooking.

But, with wife using oven, a couple of days later, breaker tripped and
reset would not keep and broiler would not work. Short somewhere in
stove. It was 18 years old so we replaced it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Feb 2013 18:09:48 GMT, KenK wrote:

Several weeks ago I turned on my oven to preheat it. Some 15 minutes later
I returned and it was cold. I finally checked the 40 A double-breaker and
it was tripped. I reset it and the oven worked ok. I've used the oven since
several times with no problem Can I stop worrying about it? I've never had
a breaker trip like that for no reason before.

TIA

Start worrying -- STOP -- Letter with details to follow STOP.

Western Union
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 12:09 pm, KenK wrote:
Several weeks ago I turned on my oven to preheat it. Some 15 minutes later
I returned and it was cold. I finally checked the 40 A double-breaker and
it was tripped. I reset it and the oven worked ok. I've used the oven since
several times with no problem Can I stop worrying about it? I've never had
a breaker trip like that for no reason before.

TIA

When you turned on the oven and went away, before you
left, did you determine that the oven was actually on ??
If not, it may have happened that the breaker tripped
before you turned the oven on ......and the problem
would be separate from the oven....
But I agree with the previous advice that sometimes
breakers trip for no apparent reason. No often, but
it does happen. I suspect Chinese internet hackers.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
Several weeks ago I turned on my oven to preheat it. Some 15 minutes later
I returned and it was cold. I finally checked the 40 A double-breaker and
it was tripped. I reset it and the oven worked ok. I've used the oven
since
several times with no problem Can I stop worrying about it? I've never had
a breaker trip like that for no reason before.

TIA

As others have said, one trip of the CB is no big deal. My rule is: one
trip = reset and do nothing. Two trips = look for an obvious problem (hot
breaker, loose wire or connection, faulty cord, non-working appliance).
Three trips = major problem someplace. Turn off the power, get out the
multi-meter and find it.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
m:

A breaker may trip for no apparent reason. If it does it again, then
worry. Did you have any other burners on the stove at the time ?

This is a separate oven only, no burners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 1:03*pm, KenK wrote:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote innews:79Gdnfigs8sCRYbMnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@earthlink. com:

A breaker may trip for no apparent reason. *If it does it again, then
worry. Did you have any other burners on the stove at the time ?

This is a separate oven only, no burners.

the oven may share the breaker with electric stove
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
wrote in
:

On 13 Feb 2013 18:09:48 GMT, KenK wrote:

Several weeks ago I turned on my oven to preheat it. Some 15
minutes later I returned and it was cold. I finally checked the 40
A double-breaker and it was tripped. I reset it and the oven worked
ok. I've used the oven since several times with no problem Can I
stop worrying about it? I've never had a breaker trip like that for
no reason before.

TIA

RBM probably pointed to the problem. Have you checked to see that
both elements are still working?

Seems to be three elements. A thick one at the bottom of the oven
which has been the one I've paid attention to. It still glows when
the oven is turned on. I think this is the important one for baking
and roasting, which I do.

Then a small element above it which I think has something to do with
broiling which I don't do and isn't lit with oven set for 400 or so,
not broil. Then another at the top of a lower compartment with it's
own door which I think is for broiling and is also not lit.

I think this is normal for baking and roasting.

Do you not have the manual? I tend to read the manuals for all of my
appliances just to make sure I am getting the most out of them. I
can't imagine having an oven with 2 compartments and 3 elements and
not knowing how it all works.

Google is your friend.

I bought it used with no manual. For many years, up till now, I've had no
problems - I just use it for baking and roasting and it's worked just
fine.

Now, out of curiosity, I might try to DL a manual.