Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need temporary fix for ceiling rain leak

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 10:10:46 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 22:45:45 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 19:49:46 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 19:44:29 -0500, "Steven L."
wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
"Steven L." wrote in
m:

It sounds like it's actually better to let the water drip out, rather
than try to seal it up in the ceiling!

Yes, it is better to let it drip. But don't go making any holes in the
ceiling! This is your landlord's problem, not yours. If he sees that
you've poked a hole in the ceiling and the ceiling later falls in, he
may accuse you of having precipitated the collapse through your
action. The accusation may be groundless, but it may lead to hard
feelings, or worse. . . .

I guess that's possible, but if all you do is make a small hole -- maybe 1/4
inch or less -- I don't see you having any problem. If you have a digital
camera, take a few pictures now, and again after you put the small hole in.

Or, you could wait until it rains again and starts dripping and call them
again. If you can get them to come out then, ask them to put a small hole
there so the water will drip out into a bucket rather than building up in
the ceiling and/or wall. And, of course, keep notes or records of any
contacts you made with the landlord and/or maintenance company and when they
came out etc.

The maintenance guy promised me he'll try once again to fix it tomorrow.
That's the third try.

We're about to get a big Nor'easter storm on Friday.

If my ceiling collapses--after *three* attempts by the maintenance
people to fix this--do I have any legal recourse?

I mean it's not just the physical damage that a collapsed ceiling will
do. It's also that there's probably a ton of mold/mildew already up
there from the moisture, and with the ceiling gone, now I'm going to be
breathing in all that crap as well. I have sinus and bronchitis
problems already, and I don't need to be breathing in what is likely to
be found up there!

It's an apartment, right? Move! They certainly can't hold you to a
lease if they can't fix a leak.

Likely WRONG advice at this point but if the ceiling collapses or
floor becomes unsafe to walk upon, etc... then the OP may have a
case to break the lease. Hopefully this is covered in his lease. It
is in Texas std. apt or residential leases.

As usual, Dumbie, you're full of ****.

Another option if the OP wants, is to ask the manager if he can
relocate into another unit either permanently or until the leak is
fixed. Some managers will accomodate the tenant if a unit is
available.

Idiot.

Ok but please go to the doctor and fix your meds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2013 7:11 PM, Steven L. wrote:
On 2/6/2013 5:31 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:41:44 -0500, "Steven L."
wrote:

next week. While they're still trying to figure it out, is there
some

Steven- are you an the top loor - roof leak, or lower down - wall or
door leak?? Poured concrete construction or wood-framed floors?

I'm on the second floor of a 3 story apartment building.

The ceiling is leaking right near the wall where the left side of my
deck is.

I suspect that rainwater is pooling on the deck of the apartment above
mine, and then seeping through some crack in the outside wall there down
onto my ceiling.

I went out onto the deck to take a look. Sure enough, the mortar
between several of the bricks in the outside wall just below the
upstairs deck is gone. Completely worn away, leaving some big holes. I
tried caulking those as best I could.

One of the maintenance guys promised me he'll try to fix it again tomorrow.

Because we're getting a major blizzard on Friday (1-2 feet of snow).
And when THAT snow melts and seeps into the wall, my ceiling is doomed.

Is there snow/ice buildup on the deck above? If so, it might be a good
idea to get with that neighbor to see if you can help clear it and then
try to clear after the storm. This is starting to bring back memories
of similar problem in the apartment I lived in as a child (Loooong ago) )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

You really are dumber than a stump, Dumbie. Even a stump knows enough
not to broadcast its ignorance.

but please go to the doctor and fix your meds.

Tuesday, Dumbie.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven L. wrote:
On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

I think that part of the answer will depend on where you live -- meaning
what state and what town or area.

I am in New Jersey (South Jersey) and I have a pretty good idea of how the
law works in New Jersey regarding residential rental property etc. (but I am
not an attorney).

If you have concerns about mold and mildew, and especially with your
newly-developed or existing sinus and bronchitis problems, there are some
fairly simple things that you and the landlord can do.

I think the easiest thing to do for now would be to let your landlord know
about your sinus and bronchitis problems and your concerns about potential
mold and mildew, and ask that the maintenance people open up the ceiling now
so it can dry out. That should be an easy no-brainer for them, especially
since the ceiling already has water damage. And, by opening the ceiling
they may even be able to better see where the water leak is coming from.
But, regardless, the correct remedy for this type of damage (water in the
ceiling) is to first open up the area and dry it out completely. That will
help prevent mold and mildew growth, and it will enable the landlord to
determine the extent of the water damage. They will have to fix the ceiling
anyway, and the only correct way to fix it at this point is to open it up
first and dry it out.

Since the big Nor'easter is coming tomorrow and tomorrow night, the time to
open up the ceiling is today, or tomorrow AM at the latest. And, assuming
you are in the predicted snow area, you can expect some serious water
problems from the snow melting on the deck or whatever above.

And, of course, move all of your stuff out of the way so they can throw down
some tarps and get to the area easily and open the ceiling without making
too much of a mess. If there is insulation up in the ceiling, they will
need to remove that to in order to prevent mold and mildew growth and to see
the area better.

As far as automatically being able to break your lease and move out, in New
Jersey it's not quite that simple. You would have to demonstrate that the
proper was not habitable in its present condition and that your landlord has
been unwilling to correct the problem within a reasonable time frame. So
far, your landlord has been responding but just has not yet been able to
come up with a quick fix. The fix is probably going to take some time, but
if they open the ceiling up to dry it out and protect it from mold and
mildew growth, they will have already done a lot toward temporarily
resolving the problem until a permanent solution can be achieved.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven L. wrote:
On 2/6/2013 6:12 PM, Norminn wrote:
On 2/6/2013 11:09 AM, Tegger wrote:
"Steven L." wrote in
m:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck
has a rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips
down onto my carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a
stain on the ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far
they have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again
next week. While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some
*temporary* fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the
ceiling every time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

Others have given you good advice (bucket). Move any possessions out
of the
way of the water, and out of the way of the eventual collapse of the
ceiling's sheetrock. Quite a bit can come down at once, so clear a
large area.

About the only temporary fudge-fix I can think of is to try and
re-direct the water so it runs off to the side. You may be able to
affix a sheet of heavy plastic (e.g.: vapor barrier) to the ceiling
inboard of the leak, and
slope it down, off to the side, and into a bucket. But that may be
more trouble than it's worth.

I think that is insane! If the ceiling is saturated, it might come
crashing down. I would pester the daylights out of the owner (or
management company?!) Is the roof obviously in bad condition? Live
in a condo?

They're forecasting a major blizzard for Massachusetts.

My ceiling probably has another 48 hours to live.

Unless dry snow doesn't get into that crack as easily as liquid water
can. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Might be time for a bigger bucket! :-)

But, seriously, if they open the ceiling up now it will help with a number
of things. One is that it will help dry things out and prevent or reduce
mold and mildew growth. Another is that should prevent a ceiling collapse
during or after the coming snow storm. And it may help them see exactly
where the water is coming in. And, finally, it actually may mean you'll
need "a bigger bucket" -- meaning something larger to collect water from a
slightly larger area rather than just from the one drip spot you had before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear this...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:27:55 -0500, "Steven L."
wrote:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.

Looks like a bunch of "horizontal snow" around south central ontario
tonight too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some vertical snow in north eastern USA, also.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.

Looks like a bunch of "horizontal snow" around south central ontario
tonight too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

....more proof, Dumbie.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.

Looks like a bunch of "horizontal snow" around south central ontario
tonight too.

What's the last time a nor'easter dumped 24" of snow up there? That's a
lot! Stay safe, and hope it isn't as bad as they are forecasting )

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven L." wrote:
I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every time
there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

I stayed at a motor lodge. I read bad reviews about the place. Upon
entering room, found at Least one leak between beds. It quit raining a day
or two beforehand. The one odd thing was a large rectangular box in the
hallway. I kept looking at it thinking, was that to catch a water drip ? I
didn't want to investigate.

Wedding reception was great.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

If we're keeping you up too late, you'd better go to bed. You'll be
smarter in your sleep anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.

Looks like a bunch of "horizontal snow" around south central ontario
tonight too.

What's the last time a nor'easter dumped 24" of snow up there? That's a
lot! Stay safe, and hope it isn't as bad as they are forecasting )

Six years ago (on Valentines day) we got 36" and another 24" a month
later (St. Pat's day). Fortunately, that was about it for the year so
there was a place to put it all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

I'll be fine when you see the doctor and get the right doseage. Don't
forget your meds today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

I'll be fine

You'll never be fine, Dumbie.

when you see the doctor and get the right doseage.

The fact that you're concerned about my BP medication does speak
volumes about you, though.

Don't forget your meds today.

Already took them, Dumbie, but your stalking is a little spooky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

Funny... you need to look in the mirror when you say this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

More proof of your single digit IQ, Dumbie. Done any "research" at
CDC.GOV, lately? Did you finally read the Constitution on that site?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

No I was preoccupied with making sure you take your proper medication.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

It's obvious to everyone that you're a cyber stalker, Dumbie. Now run
along and take that nappie that mommy wants you to take. You can do
more research at CDC.GOV after your nappie.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

Just make sure you continue to take the proper meds. You know how
you are when you don't take them.

And FWIW, I posted some reply to someone else on another thread and
you replied to me with your normal attitude so you stalked me. Anyway
your creditability here based on some others and myself isn't that
good so I don't care what you think or call me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
[...]

Always, Dumbie. Unlike you, I know how to read.

And FWIW, I posted some reply to someone else on another thread and
you replied to me with your normal attitude so you stalked me. Anyway
your creditability here based on some others and myself isn't that
good so I don't care what you think or call me.

You're a liar, Dumbie, but we all know that. I'm really not concerned
with a zero-IQ loser like you thinks of me. What do you think about
that. Oh, silly question; nothing of course. It's not possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 19:07:08 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 15:07:57 -0600, Doug
wrote:

- snip -

[...]

Lying??? See your post on 1.28.13 at 6:56 PM . As I said I replied
to someone else and you replied to me.

So it looks like you're lying or have a convenient loss of memory.
Either way I hope it not due to your over dosing or forgetting to take
your meds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 21:50:54 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 19:07:08 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 15:07:57 -0600, Doug
wrote:

- snip -

[...]

Oh, I can't reply to you because your replied to someone else? BTW,
there is no such post. You really are a stupid ****, Dumbie.

So it looks like you're lying or have a convenient loss of memory.
Either way I hope it not due to your over dosing or forgetting to take
your meds.

You really are too stupid to breathe, Dumbie. Why don't you research
how to breathe on CDC.GOV. It's in the section about the
Constitution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 15:07:57 -0600, Doug
wrote:

- snip -

[...]

Sure I just made it up..... Get a better news reader idiot !!!!

So it looks like you're lying or have a convenient loss of memory.
Either way I hope it not due to your over dosing or forgetting to take
your meds.

You really are too stupid to breathe, Dumbie. Why don't you research
how to breathe on CDC.GOV. It's in the section about the
Constitution.

Sounds like you skipped your meds today. Don't forget to tell the
doctor that you aren't taking your meds every day.

Geez, I never encountered someone so stupid as you on the net... even
the TROLLS are smarter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 15:07:57 -0600, Doug
wrote:

- snip -

[...]

You're obviously deaf as well as dumb, Dumbie.

Geez, I never encountered someone so stupid as you on the net... even
the TROLLS are smarter.

IKWYABWAI. Typical lefty argument. How's your Constitutional
research at CDC.GOV coming along?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 15:07:57 -0600, Doug
wrote:

- snip -

[...]

Probably as good as your IQ.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

The good news is that my ceiling survived the blizzard and subsequent thaw!

But I suspect that it was my own desperate repair--rather than the
maintenance people's repairs--that did the trick.

When I looked at the outside wall from the vantage point of my own deck,
I could see some HUGE holes in the mortar (I could stuff 4 of my fingers
right between the bricks), at just above the point where the leak stains
are visible in my ceiling.

That cannot be a coincidence!

So THAT is the hole I plugged myself.
And I think that did the trick.

--
Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the follow-up update. Seems like you fixed it, at least
temporarily. And, since you wrote:

I could see some HUGE holes in the mortar (I could stuff 4 of my
fingers right between the bricks), at just above the point where the
leak stains are visible in my ceiling. ,

I think that is probably where the problem is located.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steven L., JustME,Eh?! wrote:
Real Caulk

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-735864-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon, JustME,Eh?! wrote:
Tar & feather texture Seal it up good Sam Im dying & want the curtains to
come down now; its ny times here in nc

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-735864-.htm