Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need temporary fix for ceiling rain leak

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

--
Steven L.
Posted to alt.home.repair

From what I've learned of roof leaks, you ought not try to patch it from
indoors. Then, the water will collect in the ceiling and create worse
problems.

I'd patch it the roof. Or clear indoor floor, and put down buckets. Put a
towel in the bucket, so the water doesn't bounce, splash up and out.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steven L." wrote in message
m...
I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

--
Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 9:55*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
From what I've learned of roof leaks, you ought not try to patch it from
indoors. Then, the water will collect in the ceiling and create worse
problems.

I'd patch it the roof. Or clear indoor floor, and put down buckets. Put a
towel in the bucket, so the water doesn't bounce, splash up and out.

+1

It's getting into the ceiling from outside. How on earth could you
stop it at the ceiling? Regardless of what you tried to do, the
water would still be coming in. If anything you could make the
problem worse, because the water will just pool up until it
finds another place to go. That could be 5 ft away and then you
have a new leak and a screwed ceiling in between. Just put
a bucket under it until they fix it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon, JustME,Eh?! wrote:
Tar & feather texture Seal it up good Sam Im dying & want the curtains to
come down now; its ny times here in nc

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-735864-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven L." writes:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has
a rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down
onto my carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a
stain on the ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Nope, must be fixed on the roof.

Use a bucket.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven L." wrote in
m:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

Others have given you good advice (bucket). Move any possessions out of the
way of the water, and out of the way of the eventual collapse of the
ceiling's sheetrock. Quite a bit can come down at once, so clear a large
area.

About the only temporary fudge-fix I can think of is to try and re-direct
the water so it runs off to the side. You may be able to affix a sheet of
heavy plastic (e.g.: vapor barrier) to the ceiling inboard of the leak, and
slope it down, off to the side, and into a bucket. But that may be more
trouble than it's worth.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2013 11:09 AM, Tegger wrote:
"Steven L." wrote in
m:

[...]

Well, there goes my home entertainment center. :-(

I had better move my TV, DVR, etc., completely out of that corner of the
room.

--
Steven L.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven L." wrote in
m:

Well, there goes my home entertainment center. :-(

I had better move my TV, DVR, etc., completely out of that corner of
the room.

Absolutely! Move it far away and cover it with plastic. Depending on how
the ceiling is built and how much rain falls, water can actually puddle up
there. And when the drywall finally falls down, that puddle can splash/soak
a large area.

Better read up on your home-contents insurance as well. Your landlord's
insurance almost certainly /won't/ cover your possessions.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven L. wrote:
[...]

You could also try putting a small hole in the ceiling right where the water
is now dripping from. That may help let the water out from the ceiling so
it doesn't build up and get heavy and cause the sheetrock to collapse as
others mentioned. And, hopefully with the hole you can direct the water to
drop directly into the bucket below.

But, still move you belongings from the area below if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2013 1:17 PM, TomR wrote:
Steven L. wrote:
[...]

Yes, the water tends to drip from a spot on the ceiling that's right
near the wall. I might be able to catch it with a funnel that I'll tape
to the wall.

It sounds like it's actually better to let the water drip out, rather
than try to seal it up in the ceiling!

--
Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, that's for sure.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steven L." wrote in message
m...

It sounds like it's actually better to let the water drip out, rather
than try to seal it up in the ceiling!

--
Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven L." wrote in
m:

It sounds like it's actually better to let the water drip out, rather
than try to seal it up in the ceiling!

Yes, it is better to let it drip. But don't go making any holes in the
ceiling! This is your landlord's problem, not yours. If he sees that you've
poked a hole in the ceiling and the ceiling later falls in, he may accuse
you of having precipitated the collapse through your action. The accusation
may be groundless, but it may lead to hard feelings, or worse. The last
thing you want in a rental relationship.

Move your stuff, then leave the situation alone and let it do what it wants
to do. If the leak never gets fixed, consult a paralegal as to your legal
options.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:41:44 -0500, "Steven L."
wrote:

next week. While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some

Steven- are you an the top loor - roof leak, or lower down - wall or
door leak?? Poured concrete construction or wood-framed floors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, the water tends to drip from a spot on the ceiling that's right
near the wall. I might be able to catch it with a funnel that I'll tape
to the wall.

It sounds like it's actually better to let the water drip out, rather
than try to seal it up in the ceiling!

If you were able to seal it too well, the whole attic would fill with
water and eventually collapse the whole structure. That could really
suck! However, you'd never seal it that good.

So far no one has mentioned going into the attic when it's raining, and
putting a bucket up there where the water is coming in, and while you're
at it, take a marker and mark the spot on the underside of the roof
where the water is coming in. That might help the maintenance people
find the leak. It dont sound like they are too bright anyhow.

You might suggest to the landlord that he find some better maintenance
people, or hire some real roofers. And while you're at it, explain that
you could find another place to live if this continues, because it's
damaging your __xxxxxx__.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:18:28 AM UTC-5, Steven L. wrote:
Well, there goes my home entertainment center. :-(

I had better move my TV, DVR, etc., completely out of that corner of the
room.

Yes, you should.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I think that is insane! If the ceiling is saturated, it might come
crashing down. I would pester the daylights out of the owner (or
management company?!) Is the roof obviously in bad condition? Live in
a condo?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2013 6:12 PM, Norminn wrote:
[...]

They're forecasting a major blizzard for Massachusetts.

My ceiling probably has another 48 hours to live.

Unless dry snow doesn't get into that crack as easily as liquid water can.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

--
Steven L.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven L. wrote:
[...]

Might be time for a bigger bucket! :-)

But, seriously, if they open the ceiling up now it will help with a number
of things. One is that it will help dry things out and prevent or reduce
mold and mildew growth. Another is that should prevent a ceiling collapse
during or after the coming snow storm. And it may help them see exactly
where the water is coming in. And, finally, it actually may mean you'll
need "a bigger bucket" -- meaning something larger to collect water from a
slightly larger area rather than just from the one drip spot you had before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:27:55 -0500, "Steven L."
wrote:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

I agree with the others. Bucket is the best solution for now.

You might want to pull up the rug (if possible) if underneath is
absorbing water to prevent smell and structural problems. And best
not to alter anything so the roof guys can see what has taken place
over time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

Just a guess on my part based on your post but sometimes there is
flashing just above the doorway outside. If so, you might want to
caulk around it and see if this helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

Just a guess on my part based on your post but sometimes there is
flashing just above the doorway outside. If so, you might want to
caulk around it and see if this helps.

During a rainstorm, the water drips from a point on the ceiling that is
right near the wall where my deck is.

If there's a crack or crevice in the outside wall, it may be right
behind the deck of the apartment above me: The water pools on the
upstairs deck and then seeps down through the wall into my apartment.

Fixing that is a big job.

--
Steven L.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:44:23 -0500, "Steven L."
wrote:

During a rainstorm, the water drips from a point on the ceiling that is
right near the wall where my deck is.

If there's a crack or crevice in the outside wall, it may be right
behind the deck of the apartment above me: The water pools on the
upstairs deck and then seeps down through the wall into my apartment.

Fixing that is a big job.

The leak may not be where you think it is. Water travels in funny
ways. Down a roofing truss and over X feet, across a pipe or wire
etc., before it drops on the ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 1:44:23 PM UTC-5, Steven L. wrote:
Fixing that is a big job.

Luckily, it's not your problem. It's up to the landlord to fix, and if he doesn't fix it then you call the housing authority, and if he still doesn't fix it you can claim breach of lease and move.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So definitely NOT a roof leak. It will likely be a caulking issue -
and possibly a drainage issue on the balcony above as well. Not easy
to find at the best of times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Maintenance should put a tarp on the roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.

Looks like a bunch of "horizontal snow" around south central ontario
tonight too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some vertical snow in north eastern USA, also.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.

Looks like a bunch of "horizontal snow" around south central ontario
tonight too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.

Looks like a bunch of "horizontal snow" around south central ontario
tonight too.

What's the last time a nor'easter dumped 24" of snow up there? That's a
lot! Stay safe, and hope it isn't as bad as they are forecasting )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.

Looks like a bunch of "horizontal snow" around south central ontario
tonight too.

What's the last time a nor'easter dumped 24" of snow up there? That's a
lot! Stay safe, and hope it isn't as bad as they are forecasting )

Six years ago (on Valentines day) we got 36" and another 24" a month
later (St. Pat's day). Fortunately, that was about it for the year so
there was a place to put it all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the
ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every
time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with
the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down
the road? Stay warm and safe.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

The good news is that my ceiling survived the blizzard and subsequent thaw!

But I suspect that it was my own desperate repair--rather than the
maintenance people's repairs--that did the trick.

When I looked at the outside wall from the vantage point of my own deck,
I could see some HUGE holes in the mortar (I could stuff 4 of my fingers
right between the bricks), at just above the point where the leak stains
are visible in my ceiling.

That cannot be a coincidence!

So THAT is the hole I plugged myself.
And I think that did the trick.

--
Steven L.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the follow-up update. Seems like you fixed it, at least
temporarily. And, since you wrote:

I could see some HUGE holes in the mortar (I could stuff 4 of my
fingers right between the bricks), at just above the point where the
leak stains are visible in my ceiling. ,

I think that is probably where the problem is located.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven L." wrote:
I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a
rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my
carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they
have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary*
fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every time
there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk?
Rope caulk?
Anything else?

I stayed at a motor lodge. I read bad reviews about the place. Upon
entering room, found at Least one leak between beds. It quit raining a day
or two beforehand. The one odd thing was a large rectangular box in the
hallway. I kept looking at it thinking, was that to catch a water drip ? I
didn't want to investigate.

Wedding reception was great.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steven L., JustME,Eh?! wrote:
Real Caulk

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-735864-.htm