Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need temporary fix for ceiling rain leak

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 14:18:21 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 14:42:21 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 12:52:08 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 13:11:29 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 08:56:17 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 19:45:16 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:03:13 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 19:26:01 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 13:45:16 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 13:08:49 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 10:13:32 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 10:10:46 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 22:45:45 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 19:49:46 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 19:44:29 -0500, "Steven L."
wrote:

On 2/6/2013 4:19 PM, TomR wrote:
Tegger wrote:
"Steven L." wrote in
m:

It sounds like it's actually better to let the water drip out, rather
than try to seal it up in the ceiling!

Yes, it is better to let it drip. But don't go making any holes in the
ceiling! This is your landlord's problem, not yours. If he sees that
you've poked a hole in the ceiling and the ceiling later falls in, he
may accuse you of having precipitated the collapse through your
action. The accusation may be groundless, but it may lead to hard
feelings, or worse. . . .

I guess that's possible, but if all you do is make a small hole -- maybe 1/4
inch or less -- I don't see you having any problem. If you have a digital
camera, take a few pictures now, and again after you put the small hole in.

Or, you could wait until it rains again and starts dripping and call them
again. If you can get them to come out then, ask them to put a small hole
there so the water will drip out into a bucket rather than building up in
the ceiling and/or wall. And, of course, keep notes or records of any
contacts you made with the landlord and/or maintenance company and when they
came out etc.

The maintenance guy promised me he'll try once again to fix it tomorrow.
That's the third try.

We're about to get a big Nor'easter storm on Friday.

If my ceiling collapses--after *three* attempts by the maintenance
people to fix this--do I have any legal recourse?

I mean it's not just the physical damage that a collapsed ceiling will
do. It's also that there's probably a ton of mold/mildew already up
there from the moisture, and with the ceiling gone, now I'm going to be
breathing in all that crap as well. I have sinus and bronchitis
problems already, and I don't need to be breathing in what is likely to
be found up there!

It's an apartment, right? Move! They certainly can't hold you to a
lease if they can't fix a leak.

Likely WRONG advice at this point but if the ceiling collapses or
floor becomes unsafe to walk upon, etc... then the OP may have a
case to break the lease. Hopefully this is covered in his lease. It
is in Texas std. apt or residential leases.

As usual, Dumbie, you're full of ****.

Another option if the OP wants, is to ask the manager if he can
relocate into another unit either permanently or until the leak is
fixed. Some managers will accomodate the tenant if a unit is
available.

Idiot.

Ok

You really are dumber than a stump, Dumbie. Even a stump knows enough
not to broadcast its ignorance.

but please go to the doctor and fix your meds.

Tuesday, Dumbie.

Glad to hear this...

...more proof, Dumbie.

yawn....

If we're keeping you up too late, you'd better go to bed. You'll be
smarter in your sleep anyway.

I'll be fine

You'll never be fine, Dumbie.

when you see the doctor and get the right doseage.

The fact that you're concerned about my BP medication does speak
volumes about you, though.

Don't forget your meds today.

Already took them, Dumbie, but your stalking is a little spooky.

Funny... you need to look in the mirror when you say this.

More proof of your single digit IQ, Dumbie. Done any "research" at
CDC.GOV, lately? Did you finally read the Constitution on that site?

No I was preoccupied with making sure you take your proper medication.

It's obvious to everyone that you're a cyber stalker, Dumbie. Now run
along and take that nappie that mommy wants you to take. You can do
more research at CDC.GOV after your nappie.