Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Need temporary fix for ceiling rain leak

On 2/6/2013 7:11 PM, Steven L. wrote:
On 2/6/2013 5:31 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:41:44 -0500, "Steven L."
wrote:

next week. While they're still trying to figure it out, is there
some

Steven- are you an the top loor - roof leak, or lower down - wall or
door leak?? Poured concrete construction or wood-framed floors?

I'm on the second floor of a 3 story apartment building.

The ceiling is leaking right near the wall where the left side of my
deck is.

I suspect that rainwater is pooling on the deck of the apartment above
mine, and then seeping through some crack in the outside wall there down
onto my ceiling.

I went out onto the deck to take a look. Sure enough, the mortar
between several of the bricks in the outside wall just below the
upstairs deck is gone. Completely worn away, leaving some big holes. I
tried caulking those as best I could.

One of the maintenance guys promised me he'll try to fix it again tomorrow.

Because we're getting a major blizzard on Friday (1-2 feet of snow).
And when THAT snow melts and seeps into the wall, my ceiling is doomed.

Is there snow/ice buildup on the deck above? If so, it might be a good
idea to get with that neighbor to see if you can help clear it and then
try to clear after the storm. This is starting to bring back memories
of similar problem in the apartment I lived in as a child (Loooong ago) )