Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Welder advice

What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2013 6:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:
What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

Its a good thing I save helpful posts. There is someone who posts using
the name "heybub" and every post is a keeper.

I just looked through them and he answered someone else who asked about
welding telling them to get duct tape and glue and make sure it is the
good stuff from the dollar store and to get a hammer from harbor
freight. He said all of this shouldn't cost more than $8.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Georgy-porgy, you don't miss a beat, eh?
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh
and turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the
cats in instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Dats a rec.crafts.metalworking or sci.engr.joining.welding Q.

You can get these li'l 120 V jobbies at HD, but you may regret those. But,
otoh, they may suit your purposes, for mesh-type jobs, etc.

But the "farm standard" is a Lincoln 225S ac arc welder, "tombstone
welders" cuz they look like a tombstone..
For a little more, a lincoln AC/DC.

Mig is becoming perty idiot proof these days, might even supplant arc/stick
welding these days, for general stuff. I see assholes on these homeshows
buzzing/tacking **** together with mig, just like you would with stick. So
mebbe mig is the way to go. They make mig with wire that does not need sep.
argon gas.

They make aluminum welding rod that uses DC reverse polarity, so you don't
even need TIG to do alum any more, at least "utility" alum welding. Those
rods are ossum, strong welds, but not pretty.
--
EA

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 17:45:28 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

Can't speak for the welder. A metal mesh can be installed with a few
rivets / screws on the door or gate. My side gate keeps my crazy hound
dog in the yard, but he can see out. HD sells some metal panels. Other
places for larger pieces.

Sample example:

http://www.phoenixscreenandawning.com/uimages/doors/00860015.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 17:45:28 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote in Re Welder
advice:

What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/13 5:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:
What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

I was thinking the same as EA, Lincoln 225 welder. One potential
drawback to them is they need 220 VAC single phase. The Lincoln
salesmen must've made a good living off farmers way back when.
One advantage is they can cut metal if necessary when cranked to
maximum amperage. It won't be pretty but it will work.
Some used ones on Ebay, of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/13 5:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:
What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that an auto darkening helmet is a nice thing
to have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 9:54*pm, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
On 2/5/13 5:45 PM, HeyBub wrote: What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way..

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

* * *I forgot to mention that an auto darkening helmet is a nice thing
to have.

HF advertises those in almost every flier they put out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday 05 February 2013 23:45 HeyBub wrote in alt.home.repair:

What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh
and turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the
cats in instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

Personally, I would go for a small CO2 MIG unit, with a small bottle[1] of
gas. Not the "gasless" wire.

[1] Proper refillable bottle - one hit for a deposit but cheap to refill and
far cheaper to run than throwaway bottles. Lasts forever in the shed if not
in use. The ones I'm thinking of are about 2.5 ft long.

A decent[2] home grade MIG can cope with light materials well, eg thin mesh
and sheet but can still weld upto about 1/8" steel which makes it fairly
versaile.

[2] It is possible to get a decent home use unit. It's also possible to get
a rubbish "pro" unit. I had a Cebora which was very good. The main thing
that matters is a stable wire feed and good current control. What a home
unit is poor at is duty cycle, which is often not so much of a problem for
occasional use.

Don't forget to budget for CO2 bottle hire and a regulator.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to alt.home.repair

What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh
and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html

Fergeddabout a flux core welder for light tubing. It will leave atrocious
looking welding, and unless you are highly experienced or talented, you will
merely blow holes in the .065" thin metal.

What you need is a true wire feed welder with a shielding gas. DO NOT buy
the ones at Home Depot, or Harbor Freight, or the like. They are boat
anchors, as they all fail soon, and can not be fixed.

I would suggest something in the range of a Miller 140 or 180 set. I have
the 180, which replaces a Lincoln SP 175. DO NOT BUY LINCOLN, as they have
gone to cheap materials, and are not good about warranty work any more. I
have one sitting on my shop floor that I can't get them to fix.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/onephase.php You will need a bottle
of gas, too, cost about $150.

If you buy one, buy one for life. Spend the money. If you do get one, it
will cause you to weld all sorts of things, and can even cause you to make
income off of it, welding things for people.

You get what you pay for in a welder. Don't cheap out, or you will be back
in the market soon, and have the cheapo for a boat anchor. If you don't
have a boat, then you'll have to buy a boat, too. Harbor Freight does not
sell good welders. Neither does Home Depot.

I weld a lot, the last time yesterday. I just built 51 feet of mezzanine
railing and stair rails for a friend who is opening a business, a nice $1800
job, with good profit. I build a lot of things for my own house, and am
always having someone stop by for repairs or fabrication. Plus, like on my
boat trailer, when I want something fabricated, I can do it for just
materials, and not have to pay someone $50 an hour for welding.

This is the best advice here. You can do it right the first time, or you
can buy cheap crap and buy again. Buying used is also a viable alternative
that will drop the price. Advertise under wanted in your local cheap
publications, and I bet you can come up with a Miller for a good price. If
you don't, wait until you do, and don't go out and buy something that either
will fail, or you won't be able to fix. Judge condition on looks. If it's
clean, that's an indication that it was kept care of.

Steve
Welder since 1974, underwater, and numerous American Welding Society
certifications, former steel erection contractor

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
On 2/5/13 5:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:
What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh
and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats
in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

I was thinking the same as EA, Lincoln 225 welder. One potential
drawback to them is they need 220 VAC single phase. The Lincoln salesmen
must've made a good living off farmers way back when.
One advantage is they can cut metal if necessary when cranked to maximum
amperage. It won't be pretty but it will work.
Some used ones on Ebay, of course.

Too hot for what the OP wants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Feb 5, 9:54 pm, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
On 2/5/13 5:45 PM, HeyBub wrote: What kind of inexpensive (relatively)
welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh
and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats
in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that an auto darkening helmet is a nice thing
to have.

HF advertises those in almost every flier they put out.

* ** * ** *

And they are junk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Tuesday 05 February 2013 23:45 HeyBub wrote in alt.home.repair:

What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh
and turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the
cats in instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

Personally, I would go for a small CO2 MIG unit, with a small bottle[1] of
gas. Not the "gasless" wire.

Good advice. If you DO want to use the gasless wire, you just turn off the
gas.

[1] Proper refillable bottle - one hit for a deposit but cheap to refill
and
far cheaper to run than throwaway bottles. Lasts forever in the shed if
not
in use. The ones I'm thinking of are about 2.5 ft long.

And available at yard sales, or cheap from suppliers. Buy one, don't lease.
It's cheaper in the long run.

A decent[2] home grade MIG can cope with light materials well, eg thin
mesh
and sheet but can still weld upto about 1/8" steel which makes it fairly
versaile.

MORE good advice.

[2] It is possible to get a decent home use unit. It's also possible to
get
a rubbish "pro" unit. I had a Cebora which was very good. The main thing
that matters is a stable wire feed and good current control. What a home
unit is poor at is duty cycle, which is often not so much of a problem for
occasional use.

Agreed.

Don't forget to budget for CO2 bottle hire and a regulator.

Advertise in the wanted section, or watch for one at yard sales. Make sure
the valve works, and buy one that has at least SOME pressure in it,
indicating it isn't going to cost a lot to get it traded out.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 11:45*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

Your main problem will be learning to use it.
The easiest to learn to use are MIG welders. (Metal Inert Gas).
Stick/straight electric welders are much more difficult especially on
thin metal.
Gas welding, harder again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 2/5/2013 6:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:
What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel
mesh and turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to
keep the cats in instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my
way. So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

Its a good thing I save helpful posts. There is someone who posts
using the name "heybub" and every post is a keeper.

I just looked through them and he answered someone else who asked
about welding telling them to get duct tape and glue and make sure it
is the good stuff from the dollar store and to get a hammer from
harbor freight. He said all of this shouldn't cost more than $8.

Thanks. Admittedly my memory is sometimes porus so perhaps you can jog it.

Either I completely forgot (unlikely) or you are lying (probable). A link to
your reference would settle everybody's confusion about your perfidy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
George wrote:
[...]

Perfidy?? goddamm.... is perfidy like being an asshole??
If so, dats George!!

Someone mentioned HF welders. I'd check with the ng's I mentioned, and rcm,
first.
I bought a fancy-dancy Sears welder, con't variable amps, sposedly more
power than my Lincoln 225, other bells/whistles, and goddamm did it suck.

The older lincolns came with a special 75 amp circuit, with a 100% duty
cycle. You can tell this bec that amp rating on the dial is circled. For
thawing frozen pipes'n'****, or using with a carbon-arc torch. Or, just,
well, welding, for long stretches. Most welders have a 20% duty cycle, incl
the Lincoln on its other amp settings.

Strange, tho, I don't see this marking on the newer Lincoln 225s on display,
leading me to believe that they do not have this feature. fwiw
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ike Ike is offline

wrote:

What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel mesh and
turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to keep the cats in
instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my way.

So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

I bought a HF el cheapo flux core welder off of Craig's List for $50.
It even included a helmet. It works great. If I ever want to upgrade I
can sell it for what I've got into it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
George wrote:
[...]

I had an ac welder for a while. All I did was cut things.
After my brother was fooling around with a couple, suggest I make a dc
adaptor.
I made it, and seemed to work well. Used some diodes lad large split
torroid transformer for inductor.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

You can find a little MIG machine for about $100 that will do light
duty stuff like this

W ill machine like that cut thin sheet metal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

You can find a little MIG machine for about $100 that will do light
duty stuff like this

W ill machine like that cut thin sheet metal?

* * * *

It is a welder, not a cutter.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ike" wrote

I bought a HF el cheapo flux core welder off of Craig's List for $50.
It even included a helmet. It works great. If I ever want to upgrade I
can sell it for what I've got into it.

In a situation like that, you are PROBABLY right. That is, unless the
machine has problems, and then they are relatively unserviceable unless one
is very good at electronics.

If one is buying a machine for profit, or for general hard use, the HF and
off brand El Cheapos don't fit the bill, and the money spent is wasted if
one wants to upgrade.

It is very difficult to advise about this. Stories abound about people
getting a good machine, and getting burned. It is hard to say the machine
YOU buy is going to last or not. But at least if you buy a major brand, it
has a good warranty support department ......... generally.

And, if getting a welding machine triggers some hidden gene, and one does a
lot of welding suddenly it can just about be guaranteed that the person will
outgrow or wear out the machine. That being said, if a person does get into
welding, no one machine does all, so immediately we are talking about having
different machines to do different things.

It really depends a lot on the use. How much one is going to use it. etc.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPDATE: Welder advice

HeyBub wrote:
What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel
mesh and turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to
keep the cats in instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my
way.
So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

Based on several recommendations - and, admittedly, my own inclinations - I
opted for the HF 90-Amp MIG welder. Fortunately, I found one on Craigslist
PLUS a welding cart ($50) PLUS a few extras like a better helmet ($50) and
welding pliers ($8). One hundred bucks for the collection.

I haven't used it yet, but it looks pretty spiffy. If anyone is interested I
can post the results of my experimentation at another time.

Thanks all for sharing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2013 02:37 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Based on several recommendations - and, admittedly, my own inclinations - I
opted for the HF 90-Amp MIG welder. Fortunately, I found one on Craigslist
PLUS a welding cart ($50) PLUS a few extras like a better helmet ($50) and
welding pliers ($8). One hundred bucks for the collection.

I haven't used it yet, but it looks pretty spiffy. If anyone is interested I
can post the results of my experimentation at another time.

Now you just need to get the bottle and regulator for it!

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
On 02/11/2013 02:37 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Based on several recommendations - and, admittedly, my own inclinations -
opted for the HF 90-Amp MIG welder. Fortunately, I found one on
Craigslist
PLUS a welding cart ($50) PLUS a few extras like a better helmet ($50)
and
welding pliers ($8). One hundred bucks for the collection.

I haven't used it yet, but it looks pretty spiffy. If anyone is
interested I
can post the results of my experimentation at another time.

Now you just need to get the bottle and regulator for it!

Jon

I do hope you bought the model that has the solenoid, and is plumbed for
gas...............

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

Now you just need to get the bottle and regulator for it!

Jon

I do hope you bought the model that has the solenoid, and is plumbed

Er, no. The "inert" gas is presumably contained in the wire's flux. And the
device is only 90 amps, so no solenoid.

welder advice sheltech Metalworking 3 November 21st 09 05:16 AM
Considering a larger welder, seeking advice/experiences; Shopmate300? HC Metalworking 5 June 24th 08 04:20 AM
Experiences with the Parker Metalworking Plasma-Tec40/160yk plasma cutter/TIG welder/arc welder? Malcolm Metalworking 1 March 10th 06 01:19 PM
advice on MIG welder [email protected] Metalworking 14 November 1st 05 02:25 PM
Advice on buying a welder Heds UK diy 24 April 9th 05 04:32 PM