Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Welder advice

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
George wrote:
On 2/5/2013 6:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:
What kind of inexpensive (relatively) welding device do I need?

I have steel burglar-bar doors onto which I want to tack some steel
mesh and turn the grate into a screen door (sorta - it's really to
keep the cats in instead of the bugs out).

In addition, who knows what future small welding jobs might come my
way. So, what's the best methodology, equipment, etc.?

Thanks.

Its a good thing I save helpful posts. There is someone who posts
using the name "heybub" and every post is a keeper.

I just looked through them and he answered someone else who asked
about welding telling them to get duct tape and glue and make sure it
is the good stuff from the dollar store and to get a hammer from
harbor freight. He said all of this shouldn't cost more than $8.

Thanks. Admittedly my memory is sometimes porus so perhaps you can jog it.

Either I completely forgot (unlikely) or you are lying (probable). A link
to your reference would settle everybody's confusion about your perfidy.

Perfidy?? goddamm.... is perfidy like being an asshole??
If so, dats George!!

Someone mentioned HF welders. I'd check with the ng's I mentioned, and rcm,
first.
I bought a fancy-dancy Sears welder, con't variable amps, sposedly more
power than my Lincoln 225, other bells/whistles, and goddamm did it suck.

The older lincolns came with a special 75 amp circuit, with a 100% duty
cycle. You can tell this bec that amp rating on the dial is circled. For
thawing frozen pipes'n'****, or using with a carbon-arc torch. Or, just,
well, welding, for long stretches. Most welders have a 20% duty cycle, incl
the Lincoln on its other amp settings.

Strange, tho, I don't see this marking on the newer Lincoln 225s on display,
leading me to believe that they do not have this feature. fwiw
--
EA