Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home inspection

All -

Looking for some advice. I'm currently under contract on a foreclosed property. The property has been winterized. The inspection has been completed except for inspecting the water pipes/system. My realtor and I were at the home when the company showed up to de-winterize the home. They were unable to de-winterize as the pressure test indicated no pressure.

What can be done? I don't want to buy a home without fully inspecting the water system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 12:11*pm, Doug Miller
wrote:
wrote in news:797b9f3c-b2f5-46a5-b6d0-718e05120269
@googlegroups.com:

All -

Looking for some advice. *I'm currently under contract on a foreclosed property. The

property has been winterized. *The inspection has been completed except for inspecting the
water pipes/system. *My realtor and I were at the home when the company showed up to de-
winterize the home. *They were unable to de-winterize as the pressure test indicated no
pressure.

What can be done? *I don't want to buy a home without fully inspecting the water system.

First thing I'd check is to make sure that all faucets are closed, including any outdoor faucets.
It's pretty hard to pressure-test the system if there's an open faucet somewhere -- and it takes
only one.

You would think that the company that was there to de-winterize it
would have checked the faucets. But you'd also think that the next
step after trying to pressure test it would be to find out where air
is leaking out while they were there.

If it were me, I'd use an air compressor
with the appropriate fittings to tie into the system, put some
pressure behind it and find out where the air is going..... If it's
coming out you should be able to hear it. If OP
can't do that, then certainly a plumber or even a handyman
could. If you don't have an air compressor, you could buy a
small one for what it would cost to get someone to do it for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 1:18*pm, Erik wrote:
In article ,
*Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

Is the water maybe shut off out at the street? As in possibly shut off
for non payment?

Erik- Hide quoted text -

How does that explain the house failing a pressure test, prior to
turning the water on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in news:15516a22-1ccf-4582-8968-
:

You would think that the company that was there to de-winterize it
would have checked the faucets. But you'd also think that the next
step after trying to pressure test it would be to find out where air
is leaking out while they were there.

Yes, well, you would think that a home inspection company would be able to light up a
furnace in August, to see if it works -- but when we sold our previous home, the buyer's
inspector said the furnace didn't work, when the only problem was that the inspector couldn't
figure out how to operate a digital setback thermostat. Same inspector thought the sump
pump didn't work -- "float switch is broken" -- because he didn't pour enough water into the
sump pit to raise the float high enough to turn the pump on. And a few other things, too, that
fall into the category of "You would think that..."

Yeah, you would think that. But you might be wrong, too. :-)

And it takes only one faucet to open the entire system to the atmosphere. If there are
several exterior faucets, or a lot of interior ones, it would be easy to miss one. In my currrent
home, there are two tubs and seven sinks with single handle faucets, three sinks with
double handle faucets, and four outdoor faucets -- making nineteen different points at which
the system could be open.

Easy to miss one, I should think.

If it were me, I'd use an air compressor
with the appropriate fittings to tie into the system, put some
pressure behind it and find out where the air is going..... If it's
coming out you should be able to hear it. If OP
can't do that, then certainly a plumber or even a handyman
could. If you don't have an air compressor, you could buy a
small one for what it would cost to get someone to do it for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:52:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Looking for some advice. I'm currently under contract on a foreclosed property. The property has been winterized. The inspection has been completed except for inspecting the water pipes/system. My realtor and I were at the home when the company showed up to de-winterize the home. They were unable to de-winterize as the pressure test indicated no pressure.

What can be done? I don't want to buy a home without fully inspecting the water system.

If you want to full inspect the water system, then get your own people in there to fully inspect the water system. The bank should agree to this no problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 19:32:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

[...]

Particularly if even ONE of them has a hot cartridge on the cold or
vise versa - so it operates backwards.

But don't get me started on "home inspectors". In my experience most
of them are worse than brain dead.

If it were me, I'd use an air compressor
with the appropriate fittings to tie into the system, put some
pressure behind it and find out where the air is going..... If it's
coming out you should be able to hear it. If OP
can't do that, then certainly a plumber or even a handyman
could. If you don't have an air compressor, you could buy a
small one for what it would cost to get someone to do it for you.

Or use the outlet of a vacuum cleaner. Or even the sucking end of a
shop-vac. If it holds air it will hold water - and if a tap is open
you will hear it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 18:40:59 -0500, Mitt Romley
wrote:

Before I signed on my home, I had real inspections performed by an
electrician, a plumber, HVAC guy, residential building contractor, and
an engineer from the local architectural firm. Yes, it cost me a couple
grand but it was worth it.

I bought my house "as is". Cost me nothing or the seller.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 8:33*pm, Doug Miller
wrote:
Gil wrote om:

On 05/02/2013 12:11 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
news:797b9f3c-b2f5-46a5-b6d0-718e05120269 @googlegroups.com:

All -

Looking for some advice. *I'm currently under contract on a
foreclosed property. The
property has been winterized. *The inspection has been
completed except for inspecting the water pipes/system. *My
realtor and I were at the home when the company showed up to
de- winterize the home. *They were unable to de-winterize as
the pressure test indicated no pressure.

What can be done? *I don't want to buy a home without fully
inspecting the water system.

First thing I'd check is to make sure that all faucets are
closed, including any outdoor faucets. It's pretty hard to
pressure-test the system if there's an open faucet somewhere --
and it takes only one.

I'd add one thing to that,...make sure the toilet stops are
closed, otherwise the air just passes through the toilet tank.

Good catch!

hire a plumber to inspect the plumbing system......

of course you could pa to have the water turned on, any leaks will be
instantly located
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Before I signed on my home, I had real inspections performed by an
electrician, a plumber, HVAC guy, residential building contractor, and
an engineer from the local architectural firm. Yes, it cost me a couple
grand but it was worth it.

I bought my house "as is". Cost me nothing or the seller.

While I wouldn't go to the extreme outlined above, hiring
a home inspector usually pays off. They charge you $500,
but they usually find enough stuff so that you can go back
to the seller to recover that $500 or more. If you yourself
see things wrong that the inspector doesn;t, you can point
those out to the inspector while he's doing the inspection
and get them into the report too. Having it in the inspection
report there is less chance the seller is going to balk, then
if you personally tell them an item needs correcting.

In the above example, unless the house was a mess,
you probably would not get back the money to pay for
all those experts.... I'd call in those only if I had reason
to believe there were issues, eg old house with cobbled
together DIY wiring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've always use an inspector, even paid to allow the buyer to pick his
own. As a seller I pick mine. This present house was special, so I
bought it "as is". Seller cut $25,000 off the asking price. It was a
you do nothing deal. Well, I did ask her fix the pool filler valve
that was causing the pool to overflow.

Once I had a house being measured by the local "tax man". He used a
measuring tape on the side of the house, measuring the foot print, in
case it changed for tax purposes. The house sat on the "hill", a
former Mohawk Indian trail near the Saranac Lake. When the guy walked
down the side of the house, a drop in elevation , he added 20' to the
size of my home.

Of courses I had to show the error of his ways.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why would you pay for the buyer's inspector?

The inspectors for my last two houses were pretty useless. The last
one wrote down some really silly **** (burned out light bulbs). It's
probably still worth the couple hundred bucks to have another set of
eyes on the property before purchase. I'd even hire one if I were to
buy "as-is".

Once I had a house being measured by the local "tax man". He used a
measuring tape on the side of the house, measuring the foot print, in
case it changed for tax purposes. The house sat on the "hill", a
former Mohawk Indian trail near the Saranac Lake. When the guy walked
down the side of the house, a drop in elevation , he added 20' to the
size of my home.

Of courses I had to show the error of his ways.

What would you expect from a government employee?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 09:57:33 -0500, wrote:

Why would you pay for the buyer's inspector?

I misspoke. Thanks for the catch.

Home Inspection? Yadda Home Repair 15 October 4th 09 02:56 PM
Home Inspection GINO Home Repair 12 October 14th 06 04:08 AM
Home Inspection Course ! GINO Home Repair 6 October 14th 06 01:41 AM
Home inspection window expired without home inspection [email protected] Home Ownership 11 June 21st 06 10:04 AM
Would appreciate some first time home buying advice..re home inspection and negotiation Stephen Huckaby Home Repair 33 February 13th 05 01:28 PM