Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Home inspection

" wrote in news:15516a22-1ccf-4582-8968-
:

You would think that the company that was there to de-winterize it
would have checked the faucets. But you'd also think that the next
step after trying to pressure test it would be to find out where air
is leaking out while they were there.

Yes, well, you would think that a home inspection company would be able to light up a
furnace in August, to see if it works -- but when we sold our previous home, the buyer's
inspector said the furnace didn't work, when the only problem was that the inspector couldn't
figure out how to operate a digital setback thermostat. Same inspector thought the sump
pump didn't work -- "float switch is broken" -- because he didn't pour enough water into the
sump pit to raise the float high enough to turn the pump on. And a few other things, too, that
fall into the category of "You would think that..."

Yeah, you would think that. But you might be wrong, too. :-)

And it takes only one faucet to open the entire system to the atmosphere. If there are
several exterior faucets, or a lot of interior ones, it would be easy to miss one. In my currrent
home, there are two tubs and seven sinks with single handle faucets, three sinks with
double handle faucets, and four outdoor faucets -- making nineteen different points at which
the system could be open.

Easy to miss one, I should think.

If it were me, I'd use an air compressor
with the appropriate fittings to tie into the system, put some
pressure behind it and find out where the air is going..... If it's
coming out you should be able to hear it. If OP
can't do that, then certainly a plumber or even a handyman
could. If you don't have an air compressor, you could buy a
small one for what it would cost to get someone to do it for you.