Senior Member

Default Snow along US/Mexico border?

Just a few days ago I was watching a TV show about illegal immigration across the US/Mexico border, and it looked like there was snow on the ground there. In fact, it even looked like there was snow on the hood of a truck that was driving along a road built on one side of the fence that's supposed to stop illegals from crossing that border. I was surprised to see that since the heat from the engine would cause any snow on the truck to disappear from the hood first.

Was that white stuff something else (like I was thinking possibly even just white fluff from cottonwood trees), or does it ever actually get cold enough that far south to have snow accumulate on the ground there? I would have guessed not, but I've never been down there during the winter.

Last edited by nestork : February 4th 13 at 05:26 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
Just a few days ago I was watching a TV show about illegal immigration
across the US/Mexico border, and it looked like there was snow on the
ground there. In fact, it even looked like there was snow on the hood
of a truck that was driving along a road built on one side of the
fence that's supposed to stop illegals from crossing that border. I
was surprised to see that since the heat from the engine would cause
any snow on the truck to disappear from the hood first.

Was that white stuff something else (like I was thinking possibly even
just white fluff from cottonwood trees), or does it ever actually get
cold enough that far south to have snow accumulate on the ground
there? I would have guessed not, but I've never been down there
during the winter.

Yes, it gets that cold. It even snows in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
And not just in the mountains.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-02-04, nestork wrote:

Just a few days ago I was watching a TV show about illegal immigration
across the US/Mexico border, and it looked like there was snow on the
ground there.

The Rocky Mountains goes from Canada to Mexico. Almost impossible to
cross them at less than 10,000 ft. I got caught in a huge snow storm
50 yrs ago in Kingman AZ. Drove South to Phoenix to find passage
East. Finally made it, but Still hadda traverse a 10K ft pass covered
in snow in NM. Yeah, it snows in Mexico, too.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Global warming! We're all going to die!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dadiOH" wrote in message
nestork wrote:
Just a few days ago I was watching a TV show about illegal immigration
across the US/Mexico border, and it looked like there was snow on the
ground there. In fact, it even looked like there was snow on the hood

Yes, it gets that cold. It even snows in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
And not just in the mountains.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Senior Member

Thanks, guys.

Up here, when I watch football and baseball games that are being broadcast from a southern US city, the one thing that never ceases to catch my attention is how the people in the stands are just wearing light windbreakers and autumn jackets in January and February, and how much shorter the shadows are (meaning the Sun is higher in the sky there).

I would have never expected there to be snow on the US/Mexico border, but I fully expect that the mountain areas would have plenty of snow, even in Mexico (cuz the warm moist air gains altitude as it gets pushed over the mountains).

I learn something every day. But, not everything I learn is worth knowing.

Last edited by nestork : February 4th 13 at 04:34 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 07:04:38 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Yes, it gets that cold. It even snows in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
And not just in the mountains.

I've seen I snow In Miami - Florida - of all places. We get snow in
the Mojave Desert.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 5:04*am, nestork wrote:
Just a few days ago I was watching a TV show about illegal immigration
across the US/Mexico border, and it looked like there was snow on the
ground there. *In fact, it even looked like there was snow on the hood
of a truck that was driving along a road built on one side of the fence
that's supposed to stop illegals from crossing that border. *I was
surprised to see that since the heat from the engine would cause any
snow on the truck to disappear from the hood first.

Was that white stuff something else (like I was thinking possibly even
just white fluff from cottonwood trees), or does it ever actually get
cold enough that far south to have snow accumulate on the ground there?
I would have guessed not, but I've never been down there during the
winter.

--
nestork

There is snow in Venezuela, Peru and right on the equator in Kenya all
year round. In the mountains of course
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 16:30:43 +0000, nestork
wrote:

Thanks, guys.

Up here, when I watch football and baseball games that are being
broadcast from a southern US city, the one thing that never ceases to
catch my attention is how the people in the stands are just wearing
light windbreakers and autumn jackets in January and February, and how
much shorter the shadows are (meaning the Sun is higher in the sky
there).

The coldest day here, so far this winter, has had a high in the upper
40s and a low in the low 20s. Most days in January and February have
the high near 60F and the low around 40F. I'm in Atlanta, which is a
*long* way from Miami or AZ.

I would have never expected there to be snow on the US/Mexico border,
but I fully expect that the mountain areas would have plenty of snow,
even in Mexico (cuz the warm moist air gains altitude as it gets pushed
over the mountains).

It's rare but it even reaches 80F in January in Vermont. Well, maybe
once. ;-)

I learn something every day. But, not everything I learn is worth
knowing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Up here, when I watch football and baseball games that are being
broadcast from a southern US city, the one thing that never ceases to
catch my attention is how the people in the stands are just wearing
light windbreakers and autumn jackets in January and February, and how
much shorter the shadows are (meaning the Sun is higher in the sky
there).

We've just had our coldest temps in five years. I'm still in walking
shorts. We did get 8" of snow at my house, twice in Las Vegas over
the past 17 years.

Drive South. When you see there is no more snow, abandon your snow
plow. What are long pants? G
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/4/2013 10:30 AM, nestork wrote:

Thanks, guys.

Up here, when I watch football and baseball games that are being
broadcast from a southern US city, the one thing that never ceases to
catch my attention is how the people in the stands are just wearing
light windbreakers and autumn jackets in January and February, and how
much shorter the shadows are (meaning the Sun is higher in the sky
there).

I would have never expected there to be snow on the US/Mexico border,
but I fully expect that the mountain areas would have plenty of snow,
even in Mexico (cuz the warm moist air gains altitude as it gets pushed
over the mountains).

One big difference when you get much past middle of KS heading west is
that typically our dewpoints are much lower. Consequently, while it can
be in the low- to mid-teens at night here, it's not at all unusual to
have highs in the 50s/low-60s and occasionally even 70s even during
Dec/Jan/Feb because w/o any significant moisture in the air the heat
capacity is very small and so insolation heating is very effective.
And, of course, the converse is true w/ wide-open clear skies at night
radiation cooling is very effective at cooling it off after sundown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02-04-2013 07:04, dadiOH wrote:
nestork wrote:
Just a few days ago I was watching a TV show about illegal immigration
across the US/Mexico border, and it looked like there was snow on the
ground there. In fact, it even looked like there was snow on the hood
of a truck that was driving along a road built on one side of the

Yes, it gets that cold. It even snows in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
And not just in the mountains.

I lived in San Diego seven of my ten Navy years. Scraped ice off my
windshield three times. Never saw snow there, but other people did.
And before I had a car, it sure was cold waiting for a bus at ten PM.

Got out of the Navy and moved to Syracuse, NY, where I once saw snow at
noon on June first. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

Heroes, Heritage, and History