Posted to alt.home.repair

Default This DIY Power Outlet Adds a Pair of Good-Looking Plugs to Any Desk or Surface

If you're thinking about adding a power outlet to your desk or
workspace but you don't want to just slap in a power strip, you could
do worse than this DIY desktop outlet. Instructables user dlewisa was
looking for a sleek, space-saving power option for his desk, so he
decided to build his own.

Dlewisa essentially went to the hardware store and got the components
to make a wall outlet (with an eight foot extension cord) and went to
work. He also glued together a simple wood housing for the outlet so
he could use it safely without risk of fire or electrocution, sanded
it down, and painted it so it would look good on top of a desk or
cabinet. Hit the link below for the full step-by-step, including the
parts required and how to assemble them. If you're feeling really
adventurous, you could slap in something like these previously
mentioned USB outlet covers so you can power gadgets and charge your
devices at the same time.

We know a simple power strip would accomplish the same goal here, but
dlewisa explains why he went the DIY route over just buying a
ready-made product at the Instructables link below. Besides, we have
to agree: the end product looks great, suits his needs, and would look
even better embedded into a desk surface, kind of like this
retractable in-desk power strip.

http://lifehacker.com/5980794/this-d...esk-or-surface

--
Stephanie: What did you do today?
Leonard Hofstadter: Well, I'm a physicist, so I just thought about stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2013 06:39 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
[snip]

http://lifehacker.com/5980794/this-d...esk-or-surface

I made a version of that a few years ago, but I didn't make a webpage
for it (mine is better because it is in a blue box).

http://i.imgur.com/q4WvBCy.jpg

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I see only one plug, in the picture. The black plug, to the left. I do see
two white sockets. For me, an outlet strip works fine. One plug, four
sockets.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
news If you're thinking about adding a power outlet to your desk or
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

If you're thinking about adding a power outlet to your desk or
workspace but you don't want to just slap in a power strip, you
could do worse than this DIY desktop outlet.

Yes, but you could also do better than this project.

Why do all this work to make a pedestal for the receptacle, when instead
it would take far less time and effort to install the receptacle flush
with the surface of the desk. ?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Exte...rd-Outlet-Box/

You can also buy stuff like this:

http://www.globalmarket.com/filestor...6986133654.jpg

http://www.tropegroup.com/wp-content...miller-big.jpg

http://www.globalmarket.com/filestor...5106976585.jpg

http://images1.cableorganizer.com/po...-data_side.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 13:51:45 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:

If you're thinking about adding a power outlet to your desk or
workspace but you don't want to just slap in a power strip, you
could do worse than this DIY desktop outlet.

Yes, but you could also do better than this project.

Why do all this work to make a pedestal for the receptacle, when instead
it would take far less time and effort to install the receptacle flush
with the surface of the desk. ?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Exte...rd-Outlet-Box/

As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

You can also buy stuff like this:

http://www.globalmarket.com/filestor...6986133654.jpg

http://www.tropegroup.com/wp-content...miller-big.jpg

http://www.globalmarket.com/filestor...5106976585.jpg

http://images1.cableorganizer.com/po...-data_side.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, €śThat preacher
said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
stay with you guys."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:37:44 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

Mounted flush, right side up, they probably are a bad idea. Of all
the power strips I have, I don't believe any have the outlets facing
upwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

An outlet mounted face up on a table top seems like a bad idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

An outlet mounted face up on a table top seems like a bad idea.

Eveery outlet strip I have seen ended up with the outlets facing
straight up when they are used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a lot of bad ideas.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 4:05 pm, Metspitzer wrote:

An outlet mounted face up on a table top seems like a bad idea.

Eveery outlet strip I have seen ended up with the outlets facing
straight up when they are used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

An outlet mounted face up on a table top seems like a bad idea.

Eveery outlet strip I have seen ended up with the outlets facing
straight up when they are used.

Exactly zero of mine are. Most are screwed to the bottom of
tables/desks or to the wall. Why would they be pointing up? Sounds
like you're into octopus wiring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

Mounted flush, right side up, they probably are a bad idea. Of all
the power strips I have, I don't believe any have the outlets facing
upwards.

I have outlet strips with outlets on three sides. You would have to mount
it upside down or hanging to comply, and isn't designed to be mounted.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 01:59:01 +0000 (UTC), gregz

wrote:

On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

Mounted flush, right side up, they probably are a bad idea. Of all
the power strips I have, I don't believe any have the outlets facing
upwards.

I have outlet strips with outlets on three sides. You would have to mount
it upside down or hanging to comply, and isn't designed to be mounted.

You really do like octopus wiring! Got a link to one of these
killers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

Mounted flush, right side up, they probably are a bad idea. Of all
the power strips I have, I don't believe any have the outlets facing
upwards.

I have outlet strips with outlets on three sides. You would have to mount
it upside down or hanging to comply, and isn't designed to be mounted.

You really do like octopus wiring! Got a link to one of these
killers?

I could not find them being sold by the manufacturer anymore. I bought a
few which I thought was a great deal by Curtis. Some kind of buyout. 6
outlets on the sides so walwarts face up. 3 more on top. Filtering and
surge. Long cord with small footprint plug.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually found a picture, even cheaper than I paid. Different plug.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=sp8200t

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 11:22*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 14:44:29 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea

NEC
406.4(E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces in
Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up
position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

I can verify the stupidity of doing such. Expecially on an electronic
work bench and likely to cut little wire leads that fly everywhere!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 04:46:47 +0000 (UTC), gregz

wrote:

On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

Mounted flush, right side up, they probably are a bad idea. Of all
the power strips I have, I don't believe any have the outlets facing
upwards.

I have outlet strips with outlets on three sides. You would have to mount
it upside down or hanging to comply, and isn't designed to be mounted.

You really do like octopus wiring! Got a link to one of these
killers?

I could not find them being sold by the manufacturer anymore.

I wonder why?

I bought a
few which I thought was a great deal by Curtis. Some kind of buyout. 6
outlets on the sides so walwarts face up. 3 more on top. Filtering and
surge. Long cord with small footprint plug.

They were probably discontinued because they were such a bad idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 04:50:00 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It looks like they were intended to hang.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

NEC 406.4(E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces
in Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up
position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

I can verify the stupidity of doing such. Expecially on an electronic
work bench and likely to cut little wire leads that fly everywhere!

"Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces"

Could they mean a kitchen work surface? A surface likely to be in close
proximity to water?

Could they mean a fixed work surface (and not a table, desk, etc) ?

Was the original post showing this project intended for a table or desk?

And nobody has said anything about why these wouldn't be better / faster
/ easier / to install (let alone be better looking and less disruptive
to the work surface):

http://www.globalmarket.com/filestor...6986133654.jpg

http://www.tropegroup.com/wp-content...miller-big.jpg

http://www.globalmarket.com/filestor...5106976585.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:

NEC 406.4(E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces
in Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up
position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

I can verify the stupidity of doing such. Expecially on an electronic
work bench and likely to cut little wire leads that fly everywhere!

"Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces"

Could they mean a kitchen work surface? A surface likely to be in
close proximity to water?

Could they mean a fixed work surface (and not a table, desk, etc) ?

Was the original post showing this project intended for a table or
desk?

And nobody has said anything about why these wouldn't be better /
faster / easier / to install (let alone be better looking and less
disruptive to the work surface):

I've seen electrical outlets (in commercial environments) mouted face up in
the floor!

However, they all were equipped with screw-on or other covers that would
insulate them from, among other things, spills or, more likely, sudsy water
from moping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

An outlet mounted face up on a table top seems like a bad idea.

Eveery outlet strip I have seen ended up with the outlets facing
straight up when they are used.

Exactly zero of mine are. *Most are screwed to the bottom of
tables/desks or to the wall. *Why would they be pointing up? *Sounds
like you're into octopus wiring.

What exactly is your definition of "power strip"? Is it limited to
strips that are intended to be fastened? I think folks saying the
outlets typically wind up facing up are including
the typical power strip that isn't mounted, it's just plugged
into the wall and winds up behind a cabinet or similar.
All the ones I have like that lay on the floor with the outlets
pointing up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 12:46*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Home Guy wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:

[...]

from moping.- Hide quoted text -

I've seen them frequently in residences too. Apparently
a work surface doesn't include a floor.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

An outlet mounted face up on a table top seems like a bad idea.

Eveery outlet strip I have seen ended up with the outlets facing
straight up when they are used.

Right, but they're not flush with the desk top.

Flush with the desk top means they will accumulate paper-clips, dimes,
spilled coffee, itty-bitty screws, and other detritus.

In any event, if you use a power-strip AND you have a collection of
wall-warts, you may need these outlet saver extensions (actually a 1-foot
extension cord):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pack-1ft-.../290554164943?

At $1.95 each, they're the cheapest I was able to find on the web.

I've got four rechargeable-battery warts plugged into a 4-outlet power-strip
which, in turn, is plugged into a timer. When I need a battery recharged, I
insert the battery into its respective receptacle and tap the timer.

The timer I use is a Belkin Energy Saving Outlet, obtainable he
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserv...ectrical+timer

I rigged this Rube Goldberg concoction after learning that Ni-Cad batteries
should not be left on a charger for more than seven hours.

I really ought to put this imitation octopus in a shoe box painted green.

I like green.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

An outlet mounted face up on a table top seems like a bad idea.

At least on a kitchen table, or any place you're going to be using liquids.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"If there is no God, who pops up the next Kleenex?" [Art Hoppe]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most outlet strips are used face up. I'll agree it's not the perfect idea,
but just take a look at images of outlet strips, boxes.

Here is one even more versatile.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-Piv...Outlet/5723583

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

An outlet mounted face up on a table top seems like a bad idea.

Eveery outlet strip I have seen ended up with the outlets facing
straight up when they are used.

Exactly zero of mine are. *Most are screwed to the bottom of
tables/desks or to the wall. *Why would they be pointing up? *Sounds
like you're into octopus wiring.

What exactly is your definition of "power strip"? Is it limited to
strips that are intended to be fastened?

COme to think of it, I've never seen one that didn't have mounting
holes. I don't always (but usually) use them but the outlets are
never facing up.

I think folks saying the
outlets typically wind up facing up are including
the typical power strip that isn't mounted, it's just plugged
into the wall and winds up behind a cabinet or similar.
All the ones I have like that lay on the floor with the outlets
pointing up.

None of mine do. They're either on their side or fastened to
something. I don't like lots of cords free to tangle (or trip over).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:
As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a
receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?

An outlet mounted face up on a table top seems like a bad idea.

At least on a kitchen table, or any place you're going to be using liquids.

Think desk - staples. It's a bad idea all around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:46:01 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:

[...]

Right, they have to be rated for that service. Every one I've seen has
a cover of some sort. I've been thinking about putting a couple of
those in my family room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

At least on a kitchen table, or any place you're going to be
using liquids.

Think desk - staples.

Staples?

Who uses staples any more?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 17:24:50 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

wrote:

At least on a kitchen table, or any place you're going to be
using liquids.

Think desk - staples.

Staples?

Who uses staples any more?

Only people with brains. Now go back to sleep, HomoGay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02-03-2013 13:10, HeyBub wrote:
Flush with the desk top means they will accumulate paper-clips, dimes,
spilled coffee, itty-bitty screws, and other detritus.

My desk is quite messy, yet none of those things have ever been anywhere
near the power strip.

--
Wes Groleau

€śThere ain't nothin' in this world that's worth being a snot over.€ť
€” Larry Wall

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default smiley

On 02/03/2013 08:44 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
What kind of smiley is C:\ ?

The way you feel when you're all mixed up from trying to figure out Windows.