Toller

Default Secretary's Desk with vertical writing surface?

I want to build a secretary's desk to look like the chest of drawers in my
daughtor's room. Basically, the chest has 5 drawers; on the desk I will
have a fold down writing surface in place of the top two drawers.

All the Secretary's desks I have seen fold back about 30 degrees past
vertical. Is that just tradition, or is there a compelling reason for it?
Obviously it will stay closed better that way than vertical, but a simple
catch should be adequate for that.

Oh, if you know of any on-line plans for Secretary's desk I would appreciate
the link. I have found two, but they are not particularly close to what I
am try to do.

Thanks.

Mike G

I would opine that it is tradition and you can build one anyway that gives
you the warm and fuzzies.

However, in most cases, you will find that tradition in furniture is based
on practicality and looks that were found pleasing to the eye IE golden
rectangle etc,

If I were to really stretch for a practical reason I could say that putting
the fold down past the vertical gives you a slightly larger writing surface.
If I were to give a reason based on esthetics I'd say, in my opinion only of
course, the past vertical fold down is more pleasing to the eye and has a
more finished look then the boxy look of a vertical fold down. Not to
mention not requiring a latch to spoil the lines.

But, again, your the artist and only have to please yourself. Well, maybe
yourself and your daughter.

Good luck.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:54:30 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I want to build a secretary's desk to look like the chest of drawers in my
daughtor's room. Basically, the chest has 5 drawers; on the desk I will
have a fold down writing surface in place of the top two drawers.

All the Secretary's desks I have seen fold back about 30 degrees past
vertical. Is that just tradition, or is there a compelling reason for it?
Obviously it will stay closed better that way than vertical, but a simple
catch should be adequate for that.

Oh, if you know of any on-line plans for Secretary's desk I would appreciate
the link. I have found two, but they are not particularly close to what I
am try to do.

Thanks.

Try this. Will get you started
http://www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com/...ary/index.html
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:21:10 GMT, brought forth
from the murky depths:

Try this. Will get you started
http://www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com/...ary/index.html

D'you suppose that DHS has picked him up for producing a bombe
yet?

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design

Riley

Let me know if you still need help with your desk design.

All our low-stress computer designs are now Free!

Thanks,

Tom Riley

Woodware Designs
http://www.charm.net/~jriley/woodware.html

Check out our new Book:

"Look the Future Straight in the Eye"
http://www.charm.net/~jriley/jeremiad/book.html

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:54:30 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I want to build a secretary's desk to look like the chest of drawers in my
daughtor's room. Basically, the chest has 5 drawers; on the desk I will
have a fold down writing surface in place of the top two drawers.

All the Secretary's desks I have seen fold back about 30 degrees past
vertical. Is that just tradition, or is there a compelling reason for it?
Obviously it will stay closed better that way than vertical, but a simple
catch should be adequate for that.

Oh, if you know of any on-line plans for Secretary's desk I would appreciate
the link. I have found two, but they are not particularly close to what I
am try to do.

Thanks.

Riley

We have plans for about 50 low-stress computer desks (URL
below). All our desk designs are now free.

At present we do not have a secretay desk, but I would be
happy to design one if you are serious about building it. I do about
three new desk designs a year.

Desk Top suggestion Riley Woodworking 6 March 8th 04 10:30 PM
Workmate WM425 vertical clamp truly vertical? Ram Woodworking 2 December 27th 03 02:43 AM
Where can I find info on desk design? Blue Woodworking 8 November 28th 03 04:54 PM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 04:08 AM
DOOR WRITING DESK SwampBug Woodworking 2 July 24th 03 04:35 PM