Posted to alt.home.repair

Default This DIY Power Outlet Adds a Pair of Good-Looking Plugs to Any Desk or Surface

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:46:01 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:

NEC 406.4(E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces
in Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up
position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

I can verify the stupidity of doing such. Expecially on an electronic
work bench and likely to cut little wire leads that fly everywhere!

"Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces"

Could they mean a kitchen work surface? A surface likely to be in
close proximity to water?

Could they mean a fixed work surface (and not a table, desk, etc) ?

Was the original post showing this project intended for a table or
desk?

And nobody has said anything about why these wouldn't be better /
faster / easier / to install (let alone be better looking and less
disruptive to the work surface):

I've seen electrical outlets (in commercial environments) mouted face up in
the floor!

However, they all were equipped with screw-on or other covers that would
insulate them from, among other things, spills or, more likely, sudsy water
from moping.

Right, they have to be rated for that service. Every one I've seen has
a cover of some sort. I've been thinking about putting a couple of
those in my family room.