Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tankless water heaters -- inneresting take.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

Now, this guy sells anodes'n'**** for tanks, but I found his take
level-headed.
The raw thermodynamics of tankless -- esp. gas tankless -- puts one big
strike against tankless from the gitgo.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 9:05*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag.../Longevity/tan...

Now, this guy sells anodes'n'**** for tanks, but I found his take
level-headed.
The raw thermodynamics of tankless -- esp. gas tankless -- puts one big
strike against tankless from the gitgo.
--
EA

It's a decent summary of the various issues involved. The
only points where I would disagree are where he claims it's
$600 for an installed tank versus $2500 for an installed
tankless and more if it's a retrofit. I can see the $2500+ for
some, maybe a lot of retrofits. But for a straight swap it
seems very high. And I would disagree that a well insulated
tank type unit's energy issue is only the pilot light and loss
through the pipes. The basic, cheap conventional that
he's comparing to has a flue that goes right up the middle
of the hot tank. A significant amount of heat is lost via
that path when the tank is just sitting there. You can
reduce that path via one of the direct vent type units,
but then those are significantly more money and like a
tankless have more install work involved for a retrofit.

I also have some doubts about the claims that manufacturers
of tankless come and go. That may be true with some, but
there are major manufacturers that have been around a long
time, including well established companies that make both
tank and tankless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2013 9:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

Now, this guy sells anodes'n'**** for tanks, but I found his take
level-headed.
The raw thermodynamics of tankless -- esp. gas tankless -- puts one big
strike against tankless from the gitgo.

Maybe spend a little more time pondering it (you know **** and stuff)

Its just a typical fluff piece designed to fill space. The writer
immediately discredits themselves with a FUD declaration "Tankless water
heaters have come and gone"

The originator Takagi has only been making tankless heaters for 60
years and still going stong. The other main player Rinnai has only been
making tankless heaters since 1964 and is still going stong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

But there is also a "draft break" from that stand-off ditty, so that the
chimbley effect is not nearly as onerous heat-wise as without that break.

But, I would still like to see a powered vent, that closes when the unit is
off, opens when on.

Seeing as how Sears et al bangs people for $1,000 for a "non-standard
install" that takes all of one hour extra, I can only imagine the banging
people get for a tankless install. I'll bet they hype a "1 year ROI" on a
$3,000 installation....

You can
reduce that path via one of the direct vent type units,
but then those are significantly more money and like a
tankless have more install work involved for a retrofit.

I also have some doubts about the claims that manufacturers
of tankless come and go. That may be true with some, but
there are major manufacturers that have been around a long
time, including well established companies that make both
tank and tankless.

No doubt there is *some* spin in the article.... lol

His point about "instant on" has another piece to it.
With a tank water heater, AND a recirculating pump, you can indeed have true
"instant on".
With tankless, I don't think this is possible -- your "on" will be
obligatorily delayed by the length of the run.
This could be a major issue for epicureans.

I think he is def'ly right about the tankless hype, tho. I don't see too
many people benefitting from a conversion to tankless, esp. utility-wise,
and overall cost-to-own-wise. I'll bet that those who do like the conversion
to tankless didn't have their trad'l tank system set up or sized correckly.

Speaking of epicureans.....
Has your bedside/ng manner been improving??
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
On 1/31/2013 9:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

Now, this guy sells anodes'n'**** for tanks, but I found his take
level-headed.
The raw thermodynamics of tankless -- esp. gas tankless -- puts one big
strike against tankless from the gitgo.

Maybe spend a little more time pondering it (you know **** and stuff)

Its just a typical fluff piece designed to fill space. The writer
immediately discredits themselves with a FUD declaration "Tankless water
heaters have come and gone"

Forgivable spin, imo.
Not so forgivable is the tankless hype.

The originator Takagi has only been making tankless heaters for 60 years
and still going stong. The other main player Rinnai has only been making
tankless heaters since 1964 and is still going stong.

yawn..... whatever.....
Talking thermodynamics to your dumbass is f'sure pointless.....

Tankless is hype. Any honest breakdown of the economics will show sig'ly
higher cost-to-own for most people.
Not that the technology/systems is so so bad -- still thermodynamically
profligate, but in larger part, the "infrastructure" for plain ole water
heaters is so large, that that in itself gives the trad'l a homefield
advantage.

Hey, but I know this is over yer head, and it would be a, uh, tankless task
explaining it to you.
And I know I'm distracting you from preparing for your single-sleeping-bag
BoiScout campout with JoeBoi.... have fun.....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

Now, this guy sells anodes'n'**** for tanks, but I found his take
level-headed.
The raw thermodynamics of tankless -- esp. gas tankless -- puts one big
strike against tankless from the gitgo.

Funny how tankless heaters have been around for more than 50 years in Europe
and are the primary mode of providing hot water to households
One has to wonder why something that has had 50+ years of daily usage in
a large parts of the world would allegedly be so far back technically as the
author claims.

There are TWO reasons why the tankless are still expensive to buy and
install:
1) They are relatively new and unknown here, with not much demand for
them yet
2) They are going against what has been the norm during the 50+ years.
Change is slow
I should also mention that there is resistance from the plumbing
establishment, who are being challenged in their "control" zones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 10:25*am, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in message

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag.../Longevity/tan...

Now, this guy sells anodes'n'**** for tanks, but I found his take
level-headed.
The raw thermodynamics of tankless -- esp. gas tankless -- puts one big
strike against tankless from the gitgo.

Funny how tankless heaters have been around for more than 50 years in Europe
and are the primary mode of providing hot water to households
* * One has to wonder why something that has had 50+ years of daily usage in
a large parts of the world would allegedly be so far back technically as the
author claims.

A lot of the rest of the world has a lot of things going on in the
economy that are not governed by free market economics, but instead
by govt mandates, regulations, subsidies, etc. For one thing, the
cost
of energy is typically substantially higher in many places than
it is here. People in those other parts of the world could just as
easily point to the huge market for water heaters in the USA and
how little of it is tankless as evidence that tank type is superior.

Most of what is pointed out in that link is true. Particularly that
the
total cost of installing a tankless, particularly if it's a retrofit,
skew
the economics so that it's unlikely you'll ever recover the higher
initial cost here in the USA, where nat gas is still relatively modest
cost.

There are TWO reasons why the tankless are still expensive to buy and
install:
1) * *They are relatively new and unknown here, with not much demand for
them yet
2) * *They are going against what has been the norm during the 50+ years.
Change is slow
I should also mention that there is resistance from the plumbing
establishment, who are being challenged in their "control" zones.

Of course the fact that in a lot of retrofit cases you have to
increase
the line size all the way back to the gas meter, maybe replace the
gas meter too, put in new venting, etc has nothing to do with it,
right?
Or the fact that if the power goes out, with a tank type, you still
have
hot water for 2 days?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Attila Iskander" wrote in message

[...]

If everybody in any area of concentrated population had an electric tankless
system, they'd blackout the local grid every morning.
If they all had gas tankless, the CO2 would proly make everyone so sleepy
they couldn't drive to work.
Plus, in gas tankless, the thermodynamics is all wrong. Well, not
scientifically wrong, just energetically immoral.....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:19:43 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Just because a manufacturer is still “around”
doesn’t necessarily mean that they still carry the parts.
Most manufacturers of anything don’t maintain parts
for anything over five years old.
I can’t begin to count the times
I have had to give-up on a model of something or another
just because they no longer had a part for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 11:09*am, wrote:
[...]

That sure has not been my experience. Recently bought
a carb kit for my Sears snowblower that's 15+ years old.
I regularly find any part I've needed for my 33 year old
classic Mercedes. And just found parts for my Stihl chainsaw
that's 40 year old.
In the latter case, not all the parts are still available new, but
that's an extreme case. And even then, used parts show up
on Ebay. I can't recall when I've had a
problem finding a new part for something that's worth repairing
that's 10 or 15 years old. The key is "worth repairing".
If it's a $25 appliance, well, that's a different story.

I can’t begin to count the times
I have had to give-up on a model of something or another
just because they no longer had a part for it.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:19:07 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Jan 31, 11:09*am, wrote:

[...]

I had to tell my client that the cartridges
for his top of the line matching Grohe
lavatory faucets were no longer available.
The faucets were fifteen years old
and for a high prices manufacturer like Grohe
that’s considered very new.
Sure you might be able to get it on E-Bay
but you won’t know if you’re getting a rebuilt
that’s going to start leaking in a few months.
Another client had a built in Kenmore microwave oven
that Sears said they no longer had the magnetron to.
I can understand not having some obscure part but a magnetron?
Give me a break.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:25:34 -0600, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

Now, this guy sells anodes'n'**** for tanks, but I found his take
level-headed.
The raw thermodynamics of tankless -- esp. gas tankless -- puts one big
strike against tankless from the gitgo.

Funny how tankless heaters have been around for more than 50 years in Europe
and are the primary mode of providing hot water to households
One has to wonder why something that has had 50+ years of daily usage in
a large parts of the world would allegedly be so far back technically as the
author claims.

Turn that around for a minute - and put the tank heater in the place
of the tankless, and North America in place of Europe innyour
arguement.

The tank heater has been in use twice as long in North America as the
tankless has been in Europe

There are TWO reasons why the tankless are still expensive to buy and
install:
1) They are relatively new and unknown here, with not much demand for
them yet
2) They are going against what has been the norm during the 50+ years.
Change is slow
I should also mention that there is resistance from the plumbing
establishment, who are being challenged in their "control" zones.

The plumbers should be laughing all the way to the bank. Maintenance
costs are AWFULL.

Point of use water heaters are a different story - THEY actually make
sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:57:47 -0500, George
wrote:

Its just a typical fluff piece designed to fill space. The writer
immediately discredits themselves with a FUD declaration "Tankless water
heaters have come and gone"

....and this sentence:

"Oh, and by the way, tankless controls use electricity and they're on
all the time."

That is false; at least in some instances. Gas tankless (check the
brand) use a small inline turbine to ignite the gas when demand is
called for. There is not electrical supply to the unit and it works
during a power outage.

The originator Takagi has only been making tankless heaters for 60
years and still going stong. The other main player Rinnai has only been
making tankless heaters since 1964 and is still going stong.

PEX has been around for many years, yet people are afraid of it.

I would not use tankless on a retro fit, but certainly would on a new
build.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

many gas tankless are power vent, no electric no hot shower. our
longest outage was over 3 days, luckily it was in the summer, still a
hot shower was nice......

after cutting up downed trees all day
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Most manufacturers of anything don’t maintain parts
for anything over five years old.

That sure has not been my experience. Recently bought
a carb kit for my Sears snowblower that's 15+ years old.
I regularly find any part I've needed for my 33 year old
classic Mercedes. And just found parts for my Stihl chainsaw
that's 40 year old.
In the latter case, not all the parts are still available new, but
that's an extreme case. And even then, used parts show up
on Ebay. I can't recall when I've had a
problem finding a new part for something that's worth repairing

that's 10 or 15 years old. The key is "worth repairing".
If it's a $25 appliance, well, that's a different story.

That worth repairing must apply to Fords. A coworker had a Ford truck that
was about 5 years old and something broke on it. I think it had to do with
the
electric windows, but not sure. Anyway he could not get the part from Ford
and had been around to a lot of junk yards and none were available.

Now if he had a Modle T he could probably get almost anyting for it.
Not from Ford, but many aftermarket places.

I can’t begin to count the times
I have had to give-up on a model of something or another
just because they no longer had a part for it.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/13 10:25 am, Attila Iskander wrote:

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

Now, this guy sells anodes'n'**** for tanks, but I found his take
level-headed.
The raw thermodynamics of tankless -- esp. gas tankless -- puts one
big strike against tankless from the gitgo.

Funny how tankless heaters have been around for more than 50 years in
Europe and are the primary mode of providing hot water to households
One has to wonder why something that has had 50+ years of daily usage in
a large parts of the world would allegedly be so far back technically as
the author claims.

Do you mean tankless for *central* water heating in Europe? I do recall
some people having what was called a "Geyser" (trade name?) over the
kitchen sink when I was a child in the UK, but I don't know whether they
had any other hot-water supply for other rooms.

The only water heaters my family ever had were associated with an
always-burning solid-fuel stove (an "Aga") or later a gas-fired boiler
for central heating and hot-water supply, with an electric element in
the storage tank for use in the summer.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Some gas tankless units are installed on exterior walls of the home;
require no power venting at all, as they are not inside the home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I've noticed in pictures, a water heater inside the bathroom showers of
places in Europe. It appeared to be an electric unit right above the
shower head. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:22:11 AM UTC-8, The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

and the voltage is 220 volts in them there places.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

that's generally the hold house/apt water heater. time to get to the
shower head is minimal, but can take longer to get elsewhere in the
house. since these are retrofitted to very old places, that's frequently
one of the only places it can go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I was a kid, my grand parents lived in the 2nd floor of a house. Took
near to forever for the hot water to get up from the cellar. I'm sure they
would have benefitted from an instant.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"chaniarts" wrote in message

I've noticed in pictures, a water heater inside the bathroom showers of
places in Europe. It appeared to be an electric unit right above the
shower head. ^_^

TDD

that's generally the hold house/apt water heater. time to get to the
shower head is minimal, but can take longer to get elsewhere in the
house. since these are retrofitted to very old places, that's frequently
one of the only places it can go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That’s usually because they have their balconies closed-off to make more living space and they can’t afford to have a plumber run lines to it anyway let alone have the lines enclosed so that the apartment doesn’t look like a machine room. The really funny thing is when they come to the U.S. they usually buy the same type of dinky condos that they left behind. Un-f’n-believable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Love to see one of those suckers survive anywhere much north of the
Mason Dixon line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:22:11 -0600, The Daring Dufas

[...]

AKA "the widowmaker". They used to be common in the caribean too. I
think they have been pretty well outlawed in most "civilized"
countries. Either that or the've been mandated to use GFI breakers -
which means most will give you a cold shower anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:18:10 -0700, chaniarts

[...]

Many of them are POU heaters - "point of use" - they do not supply
hot water anywhere else.

Quite often a small tank or tankless POU under the sink in the kitchen
too. MOST hold about a gallon of heated water in reserve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:24:58 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

When I was a kid, my grand parents lived in the 2nd floor of a house. Took
near to forever for the hot water to get up from the cellar. I'm sure they
would have benefitted from an instant.

Or a 5 gallon POU tank. By the time the 5 gallons was used, the hot
water had arrived.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"chaniarts" wrote in message

I've noticed in pictures, a water heater inside the bathroom showers of
places in Europe. It appeared to be an electric unit right above the
shower head. ^_^

TDD

that's generally the hold house/apt water heater. time to get to the
shower head is minimal, but can take longer to get elsewhere in the
house. since these are retrofitted to very old places, that's frequently
one of the only places it can go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:10:08 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

BTW, 240V is available in the US, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message

I've noticed in pictures, a water heater inside the bathroom showers of
places in Europe. It appeared to be an electric unit right above the
shower head. ^_^

TDD

that's generally the hold house/apt water heater. time to get to the
shower head is minimal, but can take longer to get elsewhere in the
house. since these are retrofitted to very old places, that's frequently
one of the only places it can go.

I have that problem in our current house. The master bath is about
50' from the water heater. One of these days I'll probably put a
point of use heater in the basement under the master. ...or just move
the tank (probably when it fails).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Heck, the first tankless water heater I installed needed two 240 volt
circuits run to it. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
BTW, 240V is available in the US, too.

Heck, the first tankless water heater I installed needed two 240 volt
circuits run to it. ^_^

In a very large plant where I worked two tankless water heaters were
installed. It was then discovered that it would cost a couple of thousand
dollars to get the power to them, so they were then taken out. There is
plenty of power at the plant. About 10 rooms where some 13,200 volts come
in and is converted to 480 volts 3 phase and other voltages. It was just
where the hot water was wanted was too far away from one of the power rooms.
Later some regular tank type heaters were installed as we did have some 240
volt circuits close by that could supply 20 amps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message

I've noticed in pictures, a water heater inside the bathroom showers of
places in Europe. It appeared to be an electric unit right above the
shower head. ^_^

TDD

that's generally the hold house/apt water heater. time to get to the
shower head is minimal, but can take longer to get elsewhere in the
house. since these are retrofitted to very old places, that's frequently
one of the only places it can go.

I have that problem in our current house. The master bath is about
50' from the water heater. One of these days I'll probably put a
point of use heater in the basement under the master. ...or just move
the tank (probably when it fails).

When it fails, it will happen on a cold morning, 2 days before your weekend
guests are due to arrive. You'll barely have time to install the only
overpriced unit you can find that day, in the same location as it is now.
Isn't that how it always happens?

If you really want a POU unit or just want to move the tank, you ought to
start planning it - and plumbing it - when everything is in working order.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
BTW, 240V is available in the US, too.

Heck, the first tankless water heater I installed needed two 240 volt
circuits run to it. ^_^

In a very large plant where I worked two tankless water heaters were
installed. It was then discovered that it would cost a couple of thousand
dollars to get the power to them, so they were then taken out. There is
plenty of power at the plant. About 10 rooms where some 13,200 volts come
in and is converted to 480 volts 3 phase and other voltages. It was just
where the hot water was wanted was too far away from one of the power rooms.
Later some regular tank type heaters were installed as we did have some 240
volt circuits close by that could supply 20 amps.

Did they fire the idjit that didn't know how much it would cost to power
them before they were installed.

Did they at least total up the dollars that were wasted by the poor
planning and dock the guy's pay? (Not that they ever, ever do that.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message

I've noticed in pictures, a water heater inside the bathroom showers of
places in Europe. It appeared to be an electric unit right above the
shower head. ^_^

TDD

that's generally the hold house/apt water heater. time to get to the
shower head is minimal, but can take longer to get elsewhere in the
house. since these are retrofitted to very old places, that's frequently
one of the only places it can go.

I have that problem in our current house. *The master bath is about
50' from the water heater. *One of these days I'll probably put a
point of use heater in the basement under the master. *...or just move
the tank (probably when it fails).

easier to install a recycle line, that pumps hot water to your far
location continiously, or after you push a button before using....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmm, I'll bet I have more than two 240V circuits in my house (there
are two 150A panels in the basement). ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

electric tankless generally require one at least 200 amp main just for
heating water, in cold climates it still doesnt work
well..........................
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 00:03:52 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

"chaniarts" wrote in message

[...]

Sure. Our septic system backed up Thanksgiving morning.

However, a POU unit won't change that. Moving the tank would negate
the need for the POU heater.

If you really want a POU unit or just want to move the tank, you ought to
start planning it - and plumbing it - when everything is in working order.

What needs to work? It's just pipe (and electricity, but that's
trivial). I can see adding the new one before ripping out the old one
but advanced planning? I'd rather not touch plumbing until I need to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, the main is 300A (150+150), though that's everything. The two
heat pumps need a little of that. It was kinda cold today (48F).

Just for the record, I was commenting on the statement "and the
voltage is 220 volts in them there places". We generally have 240V
available too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message

I've noticed in pictures, a water heater inside the bathroom showers of
places in Europe. It appeared to be an electric unit right above the
shower head. ^_^

TDD

that's generally the hold house/apt water heater. time to get to the
shower head is minimal, but can take longer to get elsewhere in the
house. since these are retrofitted to very old places, that's frequently
one of the only places it can go.

I have that problem in our current house. *The master bath is about
50' from the water heater. *One of these days I'll probably put a
point of use heater in the basement under the master. *...or just move
the tank (probably when it fails).

easier to install a recycle line, that pumps hot water to your far
location continiously, or after you push a button before using....

I don't see that at all. Moving the WH would be easy. It would be a
trivial difference in a replacement. It would probably make it
easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2013 5:49 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
BTW, 240V is available in the US, too.

Heck, the first tankless water heater I installed needed two 240 volt
circuits run to it. ^_^

In a very large plant where I worked two tankless water heaters were
installed. It was then discovered that it would cost a couple of thousand
dollars to get the power to them, so they were then taken out. There is
plenty of power at the plant. About 10 rooms where some 13,200 volts come
in and is converted to 480 volts 3 phase and other voltages. It was just
where the hot water was wanted was too far away from one of the power rooms.
Later some regular tank type heaters were installed as we did have some 240
volt circuits close by that could supply 20 amps.

They should have asked Joe The Plumber before proceeding. ^_^

TDD