Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Tankless water heaters -- inneresting take.

"George" wrote in message
On 1/31/2013 9:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

Now, this guy sells anodes'n'**** for tanks, but I found his take
level-headed.
The raw thermodynamics of tankless -- esp. gas tankless -- puts one big
strike against tankless from the gitgo.

Maybe spend a little more time pondering it (you know **** and stuff)

Its just a typical fluff piece designed to fill space. The writer
immediately discredits themselves with a FUD declaration "Tankless water
heaters have come and gone"

Forgivable spin, imo.
Not so forgivable is the tankless hype.

The originator Takagi has only been making tankless heaters for 60 years
and still going stong. The other main player Rinnai has only been making
tankless heaters since 1964 and is still going stong.

yawn..... whatever.....
Talking thermodynamics to your dumbass is f'sure pointless.....

Tankless is hype. Any honest breakdown of the economics will show sig'ly
higher cost-to-own for most people.
Not that the technology/systems is so so bad -- still thermodynamically
profligate, but in larger part, the "infrastructure" for plain ole water
heaters is so large, that that in itself gives the trad'l a homefield
advantage.

Hey, but I know this is over yer head, and it would be a, uh, tankless task
explaining it to you.
And I know I'm distracting you from preparing for your single-sleeping-bag
BoiScout campout with JoeBoi.... have fun.....
--
EA