Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Tankless water heaters -- inneresting take.

wrote in message
On Jan 31, 9:05 am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag.../Longevity/tan...

Now, this guy sells anodes'n'**** for tanks, but I found his take
level-headed.
The raw thermodynamics of tankless -- esp. gas tankless -- puts one big
strike against tankless from the gitgo.
--
EA

It's a decent summary of the various issues involved. The
only points where I would disagree are where he claims it's
$600 for an installed tank versus $2500 for an installed
tankless and more if it's a retrofit. I can see the $2500+ for
some, maybe a lot of retrofits. But for a straight swap it
seems very high. And I would disagree that a well insulated
tank type unit's energy issue is only the pilot light and loss
through the pipes. The basic, cheap conventional that
he's comparing to has a flue that goes right up the middle
of the hot tank. A significant amount of heat is lost via
that path when the tank is just sitting there.

But there is also a "draft break" from that stand-off ditty, so that the
chimbley effect is not nearly as onerous heat-wise as without that break.

But, I would still like to see a powered vent, that closes when the unit is
off, opens when on.

Seeing as how Sears et al bangs people for $1,000 for a "non-standard
install" that takes all of one hour extra, I can only imagine the banging
people get for a tankless install. I'll bet they hype a "1 year ROI" on a
$3,000 installation....

You can
reduce that path via one of the direct vent type units,
but then those are significantly more money and like a
tankless have more install work involved for a retrofit.

I also have some doubts about the claims that manufacturers
of tankless come and go. That may be true with some, but
there are major manufacturers that have been around a long
time, including well established companies that make both
tank and tankless.

No doubt there is *some* spin in the article.... lol

His point about "instant on" has another piece to it.
With a tank water heater, AND a recirculating pump, you can indeed have true
"instant on".
With tankless, I don't think this is possible -- your "on" will be
obligatorily delayed by the length of the run.
This could be a major issue for epicureans.

I think he is def'ly right about the tankless hype, tho. I don't see too
many people benefitting from a conversion to tankless, esp. utility-wise,
and overall cost-to-own-wise. I'll bet that those who do like the conversion
to tankless didn't have their trad'l tank system set up or sized correckly.

Speaking of epicureans.....
Has your bedside/ng manner been improving??
--
EA