Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sawdust containment

I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw.
Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a
large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I can drag
a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

However, my building manager recently rented my work area out to another
tenant who is storing pallets of material there. I can easily do the job
inside, but the mess would need to be contained to a smaller area.

Any ideas for a breakdown containment system that is inexpensive to
make, sets up and breaks down easily, and can be stored in a small
space? I have one wall to work with, but can't fasten anything to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 04:04:29 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw.
Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a
large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I can drag
a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

However, my building manager recently rented my work area out to another
tenant who is storing pallets of material there. I can easily do the job
inside, but the mess would need to be contained to a smaller area.

Any ideas for a breakdown containment system that is inexpensive to
make, sets up and breaks down easily, and can be stored in a small
space? I have one wall to work with, but can't fasten anything to it.

Bottom of the page
http://www.kevinsbrady.net/DustCollection.html

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...st-collection/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe some thing with a shop vac?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw.
Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a
large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I can drag
a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

However, my building manager recently rented my work area out to another
tenant who is storing pallets of material there. I can easily do the job
inside, but the mess would need to be contained to a smaller area.

Any ideas for a breakdown containment system that is inexpensive to
make, sets up and breaks down easily, and can be stored in a small
space? I have one wall to work with, but can't fasten anything to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop
saw. Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered
over a large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I
can drag a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

However, my building manager recently rented my work area out to
another tenant who is storing pallets of material there. I can easily
do the job inside, but the mess would need to be contained to a
smaller area.

Any ideas for a breakdown containment system that is inexpensive to
make, sets up and breaks down easily, and can be stored in a small
space? I have one wall to work with, but can't fasten anything to it.

Cardboard box cut to contain as much as possible, and vac on the saw gard
outlet. Maybe even a flap of plastic taped to the top of the box to drop over
the top/front before you cut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw.
Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a
large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I can drag
a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

How about first laying masking tape over both sides of the cut site?
We may expect most of the particles to adhere to the tape rather
than falling on the floor.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw.
Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a
large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I can drag
a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

However, my building manager recently rented my work area out to another
tenant who is storing pallets of material there. I can easily do the job
inside, but the mess would need to be contained to a smaller area.

Any ideas for a breakdown containment system that is inexpensive to
make, sets up and breaks down easily, and can be stored in a small
space? I have one wall to work with, but can't fasten anything to it.

Lots of equipment have suction hose attachments. Get a shop vac with
different nozzles. If you can't, just take the end of the hose, and jury
rig it to close to the blade, and capture a high % of the junk.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw.
Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a
large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I can drag
a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

However, my building manager recently rented my work area out to another
tenant who is storing pallets of material there. I can easily do the job
inside, but the mess would need to be contained to a smaller area.

Any ideas for a breakdown containment system that is inexpensive to
make, sets up and breaks down easily, and can be stored in a small
space? I have one wall to work with, but can't fasten anything to it.

Did they block the roll up door totally (are they allowed to do that)? I
would probably roll the door up and set my cutting in the opening when the
wind is NOT blowing in the door and do my cutting there. The dust would
mostly blow away unless the storage is piled real close to the door. At
minimum, using some dust collection, will reduce the heavier particles
allowing the fine dust to naturally dissipate in the air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article s.com,
"EXT" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

The rollup door is not blocked.

One big issue with various approaches suggested so far is that this is a
precision job. Cuts have to be absolutely square, and length tolerance
is +/- .005". In reality, I hold +/- .002. To accomplish that, I
vigorously blow off every speck of plastic dust from the saw, the stop,
and the workpiece before every single cut. (I suppose I could do some of
that with a vacuum instead, but it would probably take 3 times as long.)
So, I'm contributing to the mess with the air hose as much or more than
the cutting itself.

So, working in front of the door with the door open is not an option,
because I'd be blowing stuff inside. But, maybe I can work in front of
the door with the door (almost) closed. I'll survey that option.

A couple of other notes: I do thoroughly clean up the mess, even when I
work outside, with a broom and a vacuum cleaner. I'm not sure that this
process generates much in the way of fine dust; it's more like small
granules. They do tend to have static cling, so cleaning off the saw and
work table involve more vigorous blowing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

I think the shop vac idea is a good one, in general, for capturing dust
generated by the saw. But, per another reply I just posted, I distribute
most of the dust with an air hose, blowing off the workpiece and saw
between cuts. Also, the plastic dust is larger and heavier than wood
sawdust.

What I keep envisioning is sort of like a wrap-around shower curtain, to
make my work room temporarily smaller. But it would have to be readily
portable, and not wall-mounted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Don Phillipson" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw.
Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a
large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I can drag
a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

How about first laying masking tape over both sides of the cut site?
We may expect most of the particles to adhere to the tape rather
than falling on the floor.

Not quite grokking this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Bob F"
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

Bag on the saw outlet doesn't collect a damn thing, but maybe a vac
would. Worth a try. A giant U-haul wardrobe box might help.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/6/2012 3:05 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

What I keep envisioning is sort of like a wrap-around shower curtain, to
make my work room temporarily smaller. But it would have to be readily
portable, and not wall-mounted.

There are several portable dust containment systems as far as containing
in a work area...and several aftermarket systems for chop saws.

I doubt there's anything that will do much about collecting a very large
fraction of the dust at the point of generation unless you can build a
specific collection system around the saw that only allows room in for
the workpiece and connects to a large dust collection system w/ high
velocity--far more than just a shop vac.

Not sure what you're actually cutting as far as dimensions or
material--if it's not terribly thick/hard perhaps convert to a shearing
system instead of a sawblade.

Senior Member

I got ya covered.

1. Buy some rolls of plastic bug screen material and cut it to 20 foot lengths and make 10 foot long "loops" out of those lengths of bug screen material. Maybe sew the ends together with laminated fine copper wire for winding electric motors or by first stapling and then using a construction adhesive to glue both ends to a line marked down the middle of a 1X4 board.

2. Buy eight long pieces of 1 1/2 inch ABS plumbing drain pipe and eight 1 1/2 inch ABS elbows. Make two frames, both square. Use 2 X 1 1/2 Fernco couplings at the corners instead of glueing the pipes into the elbows. That way, you can quickly and easily dismantle the frames for easy transport. (I don't know what standard lengths ABS pipe comes in, or how much space you need around the chop saw.)

3. Slip your PVC pipes into the bugscreen loops and connect the corners so that you have two square frames made of pipe connected with loops of bug screen material.

4. Connect 4 light duty chains of equal length to the 4 corners of the top frame, and have those chains attach to a central loop or hook.

5. Have someone help you lift up that assembly and set it around your chop saw.

6. Now, use an inexpensive electric hoist to pull the 4 chains up, thereby raising the top frame by the 4 chains attached to it's corners. As the top frame rises, it'll eventually pull the loops of bug screen taught, and begin to lift the bottom frame off the ground. That's when you want to stop the hoist from lifting the top frame any higher.

7. Do your cutting, and then lower the top frame to the ground and step over it to get in and out of the dust enclosure.

Alternatively, you can do something more elaborate:

PVC Fittings & Snap Clamp Connectors Great for building Greenhouses, Furniture, Cold Frames, Safety Shields and Shelving. - Solution - Simplified Building

Last edited by nestork : October 7th 12 at 01:24 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article s.com,
"EXT" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

I watched a machine shop for years cutting plexiglass. I tried to persuade
them trying anti static devices. Never happened. Stuff sticking all over
the place. They even sell air hoses with anti static adaptors. High
voltage ac producing positive and negative ions.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 12:38:47 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

One big issue with various approaches suggested so far is that this is a
precision job. Cuts have to be absolutely square, and length tolerance
is +/- .005". In reality, I hold +/- .002. To accomplish that, I
vigorously blow off every speck of plastic dust from the saw, the stop,
and the workpiece before every single cut. (I suppose I could do some of
that with a vacuum instead, but it would probably take 3 times as long.)
So, I'm contributing to the mess with the air hose as much or more than
the cutting itself.

You can get probably 90% with a quick vacuum and then blow off the
rest. You then have 90% of the problem solved.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregz View Post
I watched a machine shop for years cutting plexiglass. I tried to persuade
them trying anti static devices. Never happened. Stuff sticking all over
the place. They even sell air hoses with anti static adaptors. High
voltage ac producing positive and negative ions.
Greg
I'm wondering if just using a humidifier to increase the humidity in the shop air wouldn't have solved the problem there?

Last edited by nestork : October 7th 12 at 05:09 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
gregz;2939784 Wrote:

I watched a machine shop for years cutting plexiglass. I tried to
persuade
them trying anti static devices. Never happened. Stuff sticking all
over
the place. They even sell air hoses with anti static adaptors. High
voltage ac producing positive and negative ions.
Greg

I'm wondering if just using a humidifier to increase the humidity in the
shop air wouldn't have solved the problem there?

It might have added to rust or mold problems if too humid. You'd need to
find a balance between the two.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"gregz" wrote in message
Smitty Two wrote:
In article s.com,
"EXT" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

Could try anti-static spray cans made for clothing, and also sold to
printers, to see if it reduces problems with plastic dust sticking to
everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 13:05:26 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

What I keep envisioning is sort of like a wrap-around shower curtain, to
make my work room temporarily smaller. But it would have to be readily
portable, and not wall-mounted.

Check out this concept:

"...Whenever separation and control of your work are is required,
ZipWall is the answer. ZipWall Spring Loaded Poles hold plastic
sheeting wherever needed. ZipWall Kit includes two Spring Loaded
Poles, two NonSkid Plates and two GripDisks"

_Zipwall w/12' Extension Poles Plastic Dust Control Temp Wall_

http://www.nutechonline.com/-c-0/zipwall12-extension-poles-plastic-dust-control-temp-wall-p-1107

The poles stand ceiling to floor, plastic not included.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What I keep envisioning is sort of like a wrap-around shower curtain, to
make my work room temporarily smaller. But it would have to be readily
portable, and not wall-mounted.

Check out this concept:

"...Whenever separation and control of your work are is required,
ZipWall is the answer. ZipWall Spring Loaded Poles hold plastic
sheeting wherever needed. ZipWall Kit includes two Spring Loaded
Poles, two NonSkid Plates and two GripDisks"

_Zipwall w/12' Extension Poles Plastic Dust Control Temp Wall_

http://www.nutechonline.com/-c-0/zipwall12-extension-poles-plastic-dust-control-temp-wall-p-1107

The poles stand ceiling to floor, plastic not included.

Video of Zipwall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIlCvnypw98

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote:
"gregz" wrote in message
Smitty Two wrote:
In article s.com,
"EXT" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
[...]

Some or most products are a form of soapy water.

In high dust conditions you don't want high voltage, but here are some
antistatic products..

http://www.ultrastat2000.com/esd_ionizers_2.html

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

I watched a machine shop for years cutting plexiglass. I tried to
persuade them trying anti static devices. Never happened. Stuff
sticking all over the place. They even sell air hoses with anti
static adaptors. High voltage ac producing positive and negative
ions.

Could try anti-static spray cans made for clothing, and also sold to
printers, to see if it reduces problems with plastic dust sticking to
everything.

We compounded our own anti-static spray. A 1:10 solution of fabric softener
and water on the carpet saved many from a surprise shock during the dry,
winter days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 04:04:29 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw.
Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a
large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I can drag
a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

However, my building manager recently rented my work area out to another
tenant who is storing pallets of material there. I can easily do the job
inside, but the mess would need to be contained to a smaller area.

Any ideas for a breakdown containment system that is inexpensive to
make, sets up and breaks down easily, and can be stored in a small
space? I have one wall to work with, but can't fasten anything to it.

I use one of these. Works well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 23:18:30 -0400, "
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 04:04:29 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw.
Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a
large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I can drag
a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

However, my building manager recently rented my work area out to another
tenant who is storing pallets of material there. I can easily do the job
inside, but the mess would need to be contained to a smaller area.

Any ideas for a breakdown containment system that is inexpensive to
make, sets up and breaks down easily, and can be stored in a small
space? I have one wall to work with, but can't fasten anything to it.

I use one of these. Works well.

Sorry, (damned keyboard).

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1560...pShop-Saw-Hood
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 04:04:29 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

I occasionally cut plastic extrusions into short lengths on a chop saw.
Since this makes a fairly big mess of plastic sawdust scattered over a
large area, I've done this just outside a rollup door, where I can drag
a table, an extension cord, and an air hose fairly easily.

However, my building manager recently rented my work area out to another
tenant who is storing pallets of material there. I can easily do the job
inside, but the mess would need to be contained to a smaller area.

Any ideas for a breakdown containment system that is inexpensive to
make, sets up and breaks down easily, and can be stored in a small
space? I have one wall to work with, but can't fasten anything to it.

I use one of these. Works well.

Sorry, (damned keyboard).

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1560...pShop-Saw-Hood

That looks like what I'm looking for, alright. I will study the
literature some. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 09:02:31 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It's a little expensive but it works really well. The sawdust just drops to
the bottom of the "tent". You can put a pail underneath (I use a plastic tote)
and it slides off into it. If you're working outside, there's a top flap that
can be used to keep the saw dry if it rains. I wouldn't leave the thing
outside long, though. It's shaped a lot like a box kite. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.nutechonline.com/-c-0/zip...tic-dust-contr
ol-temp-wall-p-1107

The poles stand ceiling to floor, plastic not included.

I like this idea, but I've got a cathedral ceiling in the desired work
area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article s.com,
"EXT" wrote:

Could try anti-static spray cans made for clothing, and also sold to
printers, to see if it reduces problems with plastic dust sticking to
everything.

Yeah, the static isn't an issue worth trying to solve in this case. I
just brought it up because it adds to the amount of blowing I do at
cleanup time ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
nestork wrote:

[...]

Simplified Building' (http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/solutions/pvc/)

[image:
http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/im...G_0459-0x560.j
peg]

Dude, you are a.h.r.'s most tireless typist. I appreciate this effort,
but it's too much work for my situation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

[...]

Shearing is not an option for this somewhat C-shaped profile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article s.com,
"EXT" wrote:

Could try anti-static spray cans made for clothing, and also sold to
printers, to see if it reduces problems with plastic dust sticking to
everything.

Yeah, the static isn't an issue worth trying to solve in this case. I
just brought it up because it adds to the amount of blowing I do at
cleanup time ...

A antistatic air gun attachment would make blowing very easy, but it's a
few bucks.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 20:47:06 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

The poles stand ceiling to floor, plastic not included.

I like this idea, but I've got a cathedral ceiling in the desired work
area.

The poles have ball-joints on the top to adapt for angle.

If you missed my posted video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIlCvnypw98
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The poles stand ceiling to floor, plastic not included.

I like this idea, but I've got a cathedral ceiling in the desired work
area.

The poles have ball-joints on the top to adapt for angle.

If you missed my posted video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIlCvnypw98

Thanks, Oren. It's a great product, but the room I'm working in is
essentially a warehouse, with 30' ceilings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"ChairMan" wrote:

ChairMan wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I use one of these. Works well.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1560...pShop-Saw-Hood

yeah, what he said

little cheaper
http://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-SAWHOO...B000VS4K7K/ref
=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349934451&sr=8-1&keywords=FastCap+ChopShop+Saw+Hood

Thanks for the link. I followed it, then later on another computer just
searched amazon for "chop saw hood", and found FastCaps at several
different price points. Do you guys know if they make different models?
One of them had a model number, but the other ones didn't seem to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"ChairMan" wrote:

ChairMan wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I use one of these. Works well.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1560...pShop-Saw-Hood

yeah, what he said

little cheaper
http://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-SAWHOO...B000VS4K7K/ref
=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349934451&sr=8-1&keywords=FastCap+ChopShop+Saw+Hood

Thanks for the link. I followed it, then later on another
computer
just searched amazon for "chop saw hood", and found
FastCaps at
several different price points. Do you guys know if they
make
different models? One of them had a model number, but the
other ones
didn't seem to.

I think there is onlt one, but could be wrong(always a first
time)
checked their website, they only show one
http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vie...3&idcategory=0

Oak Sawdust lektric dan Woodworking 13 November 22nd 10 06:37 PM
What to do with sawdust? JTM UK diy 34 October 4th 10 11:46 PM
MDF sealer best for formaldehyde containment? [email protected] Woodworking 6 March 10th 06 11:30 PM
Another Way to Use Sawdust J T Woodworking 1 November 9th 05 09:36 PM
Asbestos Containment Bernie Hunt Home Repair 5 October 17th 04 01:19 AM