Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oak Sawdust

I'm working on a biofuels research project at the univ. of Okla.
School of Chemical Engineering. We'd like to obtain some oak sawdust
to try our process on. We need very fine sawdust, not chips or
"flour". Does anyone know where I can get this, or is willing to make
some for us? We need about 10-15 gallons worth to start with (we'll
need to sieve what we get to sort out the particle size we need). If
things go well, we might need this much every week or two.

Failing to be able to buy the sawdust, what would be the best way to
make our own? The first batch I made, I "ground up" a 1X4 on my
contractor's saw using a dado blade. The wood, being oak, didn't like
this, and tried to kick back every few inches of feed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/16/10 3:57 PM, lektric dan wrote:
Failing to be able to buy the sawdust, what would be the best way to
make our own? The first batch I made, I "ground up" a 1X4 on my
contractor's saw using a dado blade. The wood, being oak, didn't
like this, and tried to kick back every few inches of feed.

I suspect it had more to do with operation than species.

If the dado set gave you the size you needed, I'd stick with it.
Install some hold-downs & feather-boards and develop a safe feed rate
help with the kickback.

I'm not sure if this would get the size dust you require, but a large,
high power, belt sander with a 60 grit belt would take down oak about as
fast as you could feed it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Find a local cabinet shop, hardwood supplier, or someone else that
manufactures or sells items from oak. They would probably give you
all you could haul away.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"lektric dan" wrote in message
I'm working on a biofuels research project at the univ. of Okla.
School of Chemical Engineering. We'd like to obtain some oak sawdust
to try our process on. We need very fine sawdust, not chips or
"flour". Does anyone know where I can get this, or is willing to make
some for us? We need about 10-15 gallons worth to start with (we'll
need to sieve what we get to sort out the particle size we need). If
things go well, we might need this much every week or two.

Failing to be able to buy the sawdust, what would be the best way to
make our own? The first batch I made, I "ground up" a 1X4 on my
contractor's saw using a dado blade. The wood, being oak, didn't like
this, and tried to kick back every few inches of feed.

The local cabinet shops here (El Paso, TX) produce tons of the stuff.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cabinet shops will have too much of varied types of wood and at least
half plywood which has glues, resins, etc.

I would get a North Carolina phone book and look for furniture
manufacturers specializing in oak furniture. In the states that is the
region with a concentration of furniture manufacturing left, such as
it is.They should have large enough operations that they will have
already isolated dust collection systems only connected to solid oak
production. At least for spans of time.

Any of the smaller manufactures will love another source of revenue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" writes:
Cabinet shops will have too much of varied types of wood and at least
half plywood which has glues, resins, etc.

I would get a North Carolina phone book and look for furniture
manufacturers specializing in oak furniture. In the states that is the
region with a concentration of furniture manufacturing left, such as
it is.They should have large enough operations that they will have
already isolated dust collection systems only connected to solid oak
production. At least for spans of time.

Any of the smaller manufactures will love another source of revenue.

I'd check with a local sawmill. They'll have plenty.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-11-16 18:19:06 -0500, "SonomaProducts.com" said:

I would get a North Carolina phone book and look for furniture
manufacturers specializing in oak furniture. In the states that is the
region with a concentration of furniture manufacturing left, such as
it is.

Yeah -- such as it is. Thomasville Furniture, certainly one of the
best known names in the North Carolina furniture industtry, now runs
just one plant. And it only does minor re-work (touch-up) on shipping
damage to the China-manufactured stuff they now sell. While they still
have staff with the ability to repair real damage, the bean-counters
forbid it. Those pieces go in the dumper.

That's pretty indicative of the whole T-ville-Greensboro-High Point
area, I'm told. Probably hasn't helped the barbeque industry in the
area, either... Said to be the area's best*, Lexington Bar-B-Que is
just across the highway from Lexington Furniture.

*Never was able to get over there while they were open, but I'll keep trying!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 3:57*pm, lektric dan wrote:
I'm working on a biofuels research project at the univ. of Okla.
School of Chemical Engineering. *We'd like to obtain some oak sawdust
to try our process on. *We need very fine sawdust, not chips or
"flour". *Does anyone know where I can get this, or is willing to make
some for us? *We need about 10-15 gallons worth to start with (we'll
need to sieve what we get to sort out the particle size we need). *If
things go well, we might need this much every week or two.

Failing to be able to buy the sawdust, what would be the best way to
make our own? *The first batch I made, I "ground up" a 1X4 on my
contractor's saw using a dado blade. *The wood, being oak, didn't like
this, and tried to kick back every few inches of feed.

I live in Southeast Kansas, not too far away. In addition to the
suggestions you already have received, I would try sawmills, hardwood
mills and pallet manufacturers. We have a sawmill/pallet manufacturer
in our home town (St. Paul) who has large mounds of sawdust and chips
next to their shop. Another sawmill on the edge of town has some
visible piles.

There are quite a few mills in the SW Missouri area too. I buy
hardwood from a mill near Pierce City. He doesn't cut all of his
stock, but it comes from somewhere.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Church pews are usually made of white oak. Here's a list of
manufacturers:
http://www.arcat.com/divs/sec/sec12670.shtml

Here's a search for Oklahoma

http://www.google.com/search?client=...39b015884aae73
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/16/2010 3:57 PM, lektric dan wrote:
I'm working on a biofuels research project at the univ. of Okla.
School of Chemical Engineering. We'd like to obtain some oak sawdust
to try our process on. We need very fine sawdust, not chips or
"flour". Does anyone know where I can get this, or is willing to make
some for us? We need about 10-15 gallons worth to start with (we'll
need to sieve what we get to sort out the particle size we need). If
things go well, we might need this much every week or two.

Failing to be able to buy the sawdust, what would be the best way to
make our own? The first batch I made, I "ground up" a 1X4 on my
contractor's saw using a dado blade. The wood, being oak, didn't like
this, and tried to kick back every few inches of feed.

a planer set on slow feed and very light cut would probably give you
what you need.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.rec.woodworking

While watching a PBS show Hometime episode 'Stone Cottage - Millwork'
Dean Johnson, the host, visited a Crown Molding company. The owner
stated they sell their sawdust for cow bedding. Something to keep in mind.

Mike in Ohio

On 11/16/2010 04:57 PM, lektric dan wrote:
I'm working on a biofuels research project at the univ. of Okla.
School of Chemical Engineering. We'd like to obtain some oak sawdust
to try our process on. We need very fine sawdust, not chips or
"flour". Does anyone know where I can get this, or is willing to make
some for us? We need about 10-15 gallons worth to start with (we'll
need to sieve what we get to sort out the particle size we need). If
things go well, we might need this much every week or two.

Failing to be able to buy the sawdust, what would be the best way to
make our own? The first batch I made, I "ground up" a 1X4 on my
contractor's saw using a dado blade. The wood, being oak, didn't like
this, and tried to kick back every few inches of feed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 4:57*pm, lektric dan wrote:
I'm working on a biofuels research project at the univ. of Okla.
School of Chemical Engineering. *We'd like to obtain some oak sawdust
to try our process on. *We need very fine sawdust, not chips or
"flour". *

By "flour," do you mean it has to be finer than what is produced by
sanding?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 4:57*pm, lektric dan wrote:
I'm working on a biofuels research project at the univ. of Okla.
School of Chemical Engineering. *We'd like to obtain some oak sawdust
to try our process on. *We need very fine sawdust, not chips or
"flour". *Does anyone know where I can get this, or is willing to make
some for us? *We need about 10-15 gallons worth to start with (we'll
need to sieve what we get to sort out the particle size we need). *If
things go well, we might need this much every week or two.

Failing to be able to buy the sawdust, what would be the best way to
make our own? *The first batch I made, I "ground up" a 1X4 on my
contractor's saw using a dado blade. *The wood, being oak, didn't like
this, and tried to kick back every few inches of feed.

I hope you're working on cyclonically-suspended wood dust in an
oxygenated atmosphere ignited piezo-electrically with maybe concentric
liquid oxygen jets. I love when **** blows up. Post a video.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 11:54*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 16, 4:57*pm, lektric dan wrote:

I hope you're working on cyclonically-suspended wood dust in an
oxygenated atmosphere ignited piezo-electrically with maybe concentric
liquid oxygen jets. *I love when **** blows up. *Post a video.

Check the Mythbuster's web site. They might have a place for you!

RonB

What to do with sawdust? JTM UK diy 34 October 4th 10 11:46 PM
Sawdust Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 26 September 17th 09 04:37 PM
Sawdust Filler Donna Brandt Woodworking 8 November 27th 08 03:43 AM
Another Way to Use Sawdust J T Woodworking 1 November 9th 05 09:36 PM
How To Get Rid Of Your Sawdust J T Woodworking 38 November 22nd 04 02:34 PM