Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawdust Filler

Sorry if this questions been around, I can't go back too far...

I remeber that I used to make a utility wood filler from the right color
sawdust and glue.
Now I need some more, and I have the sawust/sanding dust exactly the right
color, but I need to identify a glue that will accept a finish - probably
some type of oil.
Can anyone give me some help?

thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Donna Brandt wrote:
Sorry if this questions been around, I can't go back too far...

I remeber that I used to make a utility wood filler from the right
color sawdust and glue.
Now I need some more, and I have the sawust/sanding dust exactly the
right color, but I need to identify a glue that will accept a finish
- probably some type of oil.
Can anyone give me some help?

thanks.

Use whatever finish you plan to use as a binder.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Donna Brandt wrote:
Sorry if this questions been around, I can't go back too far...

I remeber that I used to make a utility wood filler from the right color
sawdust and glue.
Now I need some more, and I have the sawust/sanding dust exactly the right
color, but I need to identify a glue that will accept a finish - probably
some type of oil.
Can anyone give me some help?

thanks.

Franklin Hide glue.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you're just using a clear finish, like an oil, lacquer or poly - then use
5 minute epoxy. Once sanded out and finished it well blend in well. I use
this for small knot holes and voids all the time. For a small hole just use
a cyanoacrylate glue. Put the glue in the hole and literally sand over the
surface to drive dust into the glue for filler and color.
If it's a deep hole, I use Z-Poxy. Much thinner and can be run slowly into
the hole and eliminate air pockets.

Gary in KC

"Donna Brandt" wrote in message
Sorry if this questions been around, I can't go back too far...

I remeber that I used to make a utility wood filler from the right color
sawdust and glue.
Now I need some more, and I have the sawust/sanding dust exactly the right
color, but I need to identify a glue that will accept a finish - probably
some type of oil.
Can anyone give me some help?

thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:51:57 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

Donna Brandt wrote:
Sorry if this questions been around, I can't go back too far...

I remeber that I used to make a utility wood filler from the right color
sawdust and glue.
Now I need some more, and I have the sawust/sanding dust exactly the right
color, but I need to identify a glue that will accept a finish - probably
some type of oil.
Can anyone give me some help?

thanks.

Franklin Hide glue.

....clear epoxy works well, also...

cg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gary A in KC wrote:

If it's a deep hole, I use Z-Poxy. Much thinner and can be run slowly into
the hole and eliminate air pockets.

Z-Poxy is a brand of epoxy, sold by Zap. I love Zap epoxies and CA.
There are several formulations of Z-Poxy, not all are that thin.

Are you using the Finishing Resin by chance?

A great way to get any epoxy to flow better is to warm it slightly
before mixing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, you're right. It's the finishing resin. Got turned on to it by a
guitar builder who uses it as a pore filler for the guitar body (sides and
back). After playing around with it, realized it was a perfect filler for
knots and holes because of how thinly it flowed. Works really well for
deeper knots without trapping air pockets inside.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Gary A in KC wrote:

If it's a deep hole, I use Z-Poxy. Much thinner and can be run slowly

into
the hole and eliminate air pockets.

Z-Poxy is a brand of epoxy, sold by Zap. I love Zap epoxies and CA.
There are several formulations of Z-Poxy, not all are that thin.

Are you using the Finishing Resin by chance?

A great way to get any epoxy to flow better is to warm it slightly
before mixing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gary A in KC wrote:
Yeah, you're right. It's the finishing resin. Got turned on to it by a
guitar builder who uses it as a pore filler for the guitar body (sides and
back). After playing around with it, realized it was a perfect filler for
knots and holes because of how thinly it flowed. Works really well for
deeper knots without trapping air pockets inside.

It's fantastic stuff! I originally used it for fuel proofing model
aircraft engine compartments. It's also really cool when brushed on
fiberglass or carbon fiber cloth.

What lots of folks don't know is that most epoxies can be thinned to a
similar consistency with a dot of denatured alcohol.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote:

What lots of folks don't know is that most epoxies can be thinned to
a similar consistency with a dot of denatured alcohol.

About 5% is the max without adversely affecting physical properties.

The basic blending of the resin is when you establish the viscosity of
epoxy resin by chose of diluents used in the blend.

As you noted in an earlier post, viscosity of epoxy resin is highly
temperature dependant.

Lew

Lew

Another Way to Use Sawdust J T Woodworking 1 November 9th 05 09:36 PM
MORE SAWDUST CLAY J T Woodworking 3 October 2nd 05 01:03 AM
How To Get Rid Of Your Sawdust J T Woodworking 38 November 22nd 04 02:34 PM
Sawdust collection Woodspoiler UK diy 7 September 16th 03 03:24 PM