Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Oak Sawdust

On 11/16/10 3:57 PM, lektric dan wrote:
Failing to be able to buy the sawdust, what would be the best way to
make our own? The first batch I made, I "ground up" a 1X4 on my
contractor's saw using a dado blade. The wood, being oak, didn't
like this, and tried to kick back every few inches of feed.

I suspect it had more to do with operation than species.

If the dado set gave you the size you needed, I'd stick with it.
Install some hold-downs & feather-boards and develop a safe feed rate
help with the kickback.

I'm not sure if this would get the size dust you require, but a large,
high power, belt sander with a 60 grit belt would take down oak about as
fast as you could feed it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)